1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Raichu2006, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Raichu2006

Raichu2006 Raichu 2006

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last week a friend of mine asked me about some noise coming from the speakers. I heard it and realized that it is not coming from the speakers but from under the dashboard - The frequency varies but is it becoming more frequent everyday - I took it to the service and they told me it is normal - "The brake pump recovery" or something like that... Have any of you had the same situation? Do you think it is normal or should I get a "second opinion"?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there was a big thread about this on prius online a while back. how frequent are we talking? and does it happen when you're riding the brake pedal or using the brakes a lot or just riding along? if it's happening all the time the brake accumulator pump may be the issue. but it may not. it is pretty hard to make that kind of call over the internet ya know :)

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

fast check, turn the car off, when all is quiet press slowly on the brake pedal 4 times till it's hard. Is that the sound. It's normal. As the brakes on a Prius don't have an ICE that runs all the time to provide vacuum like a normal car's brake booster the Prius uses a electric pump that charges an accumulator to provide brake power should something happen. In an electrical emergency there is an ultra capicator pack in the rear hatch that provides electricity only to the electric brake pump. So even in an emergency you have brake power.

4. Raichu2006

Raichu2006 Raichu 2006

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Frank - I followed your instructions and it made the noise again - It is strange but before the comment of my friend I was not able to hear anything... Now that I know it is normal I think I will get used to it easier...

5. Raichu2006

Raichu2006 Raichu 2006

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well I think it is mostly when I am driving on the city where I use the brakes a lot (you know traffic in So Fla is really heavy) however I will pay attention while driving on the highway... Thanks for the advice