1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just received my recall notice today.

2. richard13

richard13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have never received any notices for the recalls on my 2010 Prius IV. Either I've heard about them from word of mouth or get "surprised" when I visit the dealer for the next 5K maintenance (like this week for the brake booster thing).

southjerseycraig likes this.
  3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Are you the original owner or did you buy it used? If used, they are probably sending the notices to the original owner.

4. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my case, the plastic is still there,but it has a hole. I would think the effect of the whole would not be too late. I drove 120 miles yesterday and today, mostly on interstate highway, and I didn't see any difference in gas mileage.

5. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all the info. I guess I can live with not finding out promptly about the recall, since after all the matter is not an emergency. What I do resent is the service advisor telling me that the car was unsafe to drive without the repair. After all, Toyota's release said it was a matter of braking effort, and that there had been neither accidents nor injuries attributed to the "problem." I believe in taking preventive action, but I fear the advisor was being chicken little without any basis. I also resent not being told that it would take most of the day to cure the "problem."

6. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had an exchange of messages with the shop I used for the Camry once it went out of warranty. The owner said the shop could handle routine maintenance, including the brakes, but would absolutely not go near the electric battery (but could deal with the conventional batter). This strikes me as a healthy attitude, and so I may take the car there next time. Anyway, the next maintenance is at 45,000 miles, and that will just be rotating the tires and checking the fluids -- something I am sure that many of you can do. (I have ten thumbs!)

7. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius is in the shop for a window repair (see my thread on that). This afternoon I called them and asked about the brake recall and they looked it up and said my car is on it. So they will do it.
    My car was made in Aug or Sept. 2009, I think, and I bought it in Nov of that year.

southjerseycraig likes this.
  8. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's interesting that the dealer didn't instantly realize there was a recall but instead had to look it up in response to your request. Thinking back, I acquired my car in August of 2009, so it is reasonable for it to have been on the recall list.

9. richard13

richard13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sure, that makes sense but yea, I am the original owner.

And well, lookie here... just today I got a notice in the mail about the break booster issue. Nice timing Toyota!

10. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will bet that your car is on the recall list.
    It seems to me that the Toyota dealerships have been very inconsistent in how they have handled this recall. I'm not sure if it varies by distributor region or what. I would have thought that when I brought the car in for service and they put in my information that the computer would automatically have matched my VIN number and noted that the recall had not been done on my car--but it sure looks like that didn't happen in my case.
    Anyone else this has happened to?

11. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I finally got my recall notice on Saturday -- a mere three months after it was issued. I am still resentful that I was told by my Toyota dealership that I had to do the repair right away, with the result that I missed a couple of things I wanted to do that day.

12. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess what? I just got my recall notice from Toyota, a few weeks after I had it done (at the same time as my weird popping-out window was fixed).

13. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought mine used but found that the brake booster was replaced on7/25/2013. I thought the recall wasn't even out till August? My car doesn't come up on Toyota website as being under the recall list. Maybe I'll have to check on it myself....

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    July is when it officially came to light.

15. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, I believe it was in the first week of June.

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of the two... :)

17. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Our car was was under the new brake recall and ours was one of them. I believe the unit
    that Toyota replaced was $2,000 and labor. It was all free and we had 105,000 miles on
    our Prius. It worked out for us as I had the spark plugs changed at the same time. See my
    post. We purchased in May, 2009, early vin #...

18. RL Prius

RL Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    how does the brake feels now?

19. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Just had mine done yesterday.
    The brakes were fine before, and I really cannot say in all honesty that they feel any different now. In fact, I suspect that the only reason the car felt strange to me at first was the fact that the technician had disconnected the battery for the first time in my 4 years with the car. I'm not certain, but besides the need to reset radio and navigation plus maintenance settings, that the engine may need to "relearn" my typical driving style.
    But generally, all is good and I am happy with the result and don't have to worry about it.

Roland

20. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    spiderman likes this.