1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake-Related Warning Lights On

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen this one posted before but I've just been informed that the Prius has been displaying warning lights. The car will go to the dealer but I'd like to hear what the PC community has to say.

The issue:

- ((!)) light on
    - ((!)) light on

- ABS light on

- VSC light on

So basically if any of those lights come on with the handbrake light on (when the handbrake is disengaged), it's a bad thing according to the manual. It says the hydraulic system has failed.

My brother also noted a slight increase in pressure when applying the brakes. It's as if you press the brakes when the car is off (but of course that's when all the hydraulic brake pumps are off) but not as stiff so that kinda reinforces what the manual says.

Any advice for this issue?

It's a 2005 bought in sept 2004. We're over 100,000km so the Powertrain warranty has expired. Any idea what the costs are?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Better asked in a Gen II forum? Definitely a trip to the dealer or someone who can pull DTC's. I had something like it happen when the inverter pump failed and things started shutting down.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    D'oh! Can't believe I posted it in the wrong forum >.<

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that could be something as simple as a wheel speed sensor or something nastier...

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We'll see what the dealer says then. Hopefully it's nothing big.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Errr... the lights weren't on the next day and haven't come on since.

I'm sooo confused. We'll keep monitoring the car. Could it be the 12V battery again (Galaxee, you know why I'm suspecting the 12V.. yes it's still there).

The last time DICE caused an MFD failure, the dealer wanted $200 to replace the motherboard cause it's fried. :confused:.... you can see why i'm apprehensive about taking it to the dealer.

7. Nevillewc

Nevillewc New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Strangly the same thing happened to me today.
    - ((!)) light on
    - ((!)) light on

- ABS light on

Didn't have the VSC light on

Driving along and the lights came on. Drove a bit and the brakes seemed OK. Read manual which recommending stopping. Stopped, rang Toyota and because it was Sunday afternoon, they said they would get an after hours tech to ring us. Switched off, waited 20-25 minutes. When switched on again lights went out. Drove home.

Seeing the dealer tomorrow but don't hold out much hope they will have an answer.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me know what they come up with. Mine just "resetted" itself.

9. Nevillewc

Nevillewc New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Took it to the dealer today.
    Code P0607

The 'Fix' for this code is replace the Hybrid computer.
    The cost is approx $NZ 3500 = USD 2000.:(

As they the car is less than 3 months out of warranty and relatively low mileage, 55000km, the dealer will ask if Toyota will reduce the cost.
    Here's hoping

10. Nevillewc

Nevillewc New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just found another thread with the same code.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...roubleshooting/16189-prius-died-way-home.html

It talks about the cruise control blinking.

"hint: if DTC P0607 is detected while the cruise control is in operation, the system clears the stored vehicle speed in the hybrid vehicle control ECU and cancels the cruise control operation. at the same time, the CRUISE main indicator light blinks to inform the driver of the malfunction. when this trouble code is detected, fail-safe remains on until the power switch si turned off.

inspection procedure: replace hybrid vehicle control ECU"

I don't use the cruise control much but when I did use it a few months ago the cruise control light started flashing and wouldn't resume cruise or turn off until I stopped and turned off the car. Didn't realise it was a fault warning. Just thought I was using the cruise control wrong (1st car with cruise control). I looked in manual but didn't find anything about this.

Now I can find it in the manual on pg 134!
    It makes more sense when you know what you are looking for.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In researching your issue, I note that the Toyota repair documentation is unclear on the failed component when DTC P0607 "Control Module Performance" is logged. See the Prius 2005 repair manual, p. 05-270 and the 2006 repair manual, p. ES-296. Those pages point to a problem with the engine ECU (aka ECM), not the hybrid vehicle ECU.

However, p. 05-2719 of the 2005 repair manual and p. CC-26 of the 2006 manual do indicate that the HV ECU is the culprit when DTC P0607 is logged.

So, I suppose you could replace the HV ECU first, as that ECU is responsible for cruise control functionality; but don't be surprised if the ECM needs to be replaced instead. Maybe you can obtain a salvage part if you can't get help on the price of a new component. The going price of salvage Prius ECUs on eBay seems to be US$200 or so.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oops, nevermind. please ignore.

13. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My reading of the documents is that both ECM and HV ECU can post P0607 codes: the one to replace is the one that is reporting the code. P0607 means self-checking of this module showed some errors. The CC section of the manual refers to the STP signals, the signals from the two poles of the stop light switch, and those only connect to the HV ECU.

There is no central repository for DTCs; instead, each module is responsible for recording its own DTCs. This is why you can only get ECM (engine) DTCs from a regular scanner - only the engine ECU's address on the CAN bus has been standardised by SAE. Non-Toyota scanners could easily read DTCs from other modules, if only they knew the right addresses to read from.

Sometimes ECUs do record a DTC saying 'other ECU reported a problem'. For example, P3000 on the HV ECU usually indicates that the Battery ECU reported a problem and you should look there to find out what the actual cause was.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. US$2000. Well so far nothing else to report. My ECU was replaced under the recall (steering wheel i believe for 2005 models).

15. Nevillewc

Nevillewc New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota replaced the unit and it only cost me 'labour only'.
    As it is basically unplug the old unit, plug in the new unit, test and test drive I was very pleased with the final cost.

Dino33ca likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A