1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Service Schedule

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HybridForLife, Feb 28, 2022.

1. HybridForLife

HybridForLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Need advice when to proactively have brakes checked or serviced on a 2013 Prius v with 101,000 kilometers (63k miles). It's mostly driven like a grandma, rarely hard braking, but I'd like to at least get an idea when and what brake services I should plan for. Thanks in advance!

History:
    Second owner of a mint condition Prius v, and AFAIK the brakes have never been checked or serviced. No issues so far, no squeaky noise, stopping power & response remains good. I asked Toyota dealership during routine oil & filter change if they could tell me when it's time to service the brakes but they said I'd have to book & pay the service fee just to have it assessed.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unless you have a problem with salt on the roads causing corrosion there should be no problems due to normal wear at that mileage. My 2012 v has original rotors and front pads after 250,000 miles.

It would make sense to have the brake fluid changed after ten years. Some have suggested brake booster failures could be reduced with fluid replacements. A brake booster failure is a $2500 repair. Flushing the brakes requires a special scanner procedure as this is an elaborate brake by wire system but a good shop can do it.

In reality you should find a reliable independent shop to take care of the car as it moves into old age. A dealer that wouldn't look at your brakes with an oil change is not worth much.

HybridForLife and Air_Boss like this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In addition, annual safety and emissions inspections should involve brake lining checks and reports.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you look in your 2013 Prius v Warranty and Maintenance Guide, starting on page 38, you will see that "visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs" recurs every 5,000 miles or 6 months, and that every 30,000 miles or 36 months there is a more in-depth "Inspect the following: ... Brake lines and hoses. Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs".

You can treat the 5,000-mile check as a chance to eyeball the disc pads without further disassembling anything (drum linings, of course, can't even really be eyeballed without slipping the drum off). At the longer, 36,000-mile interval (if not more often), somebody really ought to be flipping the calipers up, looking at all the rubber boots for cuts or tears, checking that the sliding parts slide freely (caliper on its pins, pads in their fitting kits). Normally, there is nothing to replace, so the only cost involved is the minutes it takes to do the inspection.

I combine mine with rotating tires. I already have the wheels off, so it adds only literally minutes. I measure pad and rotor thickness, write those down, check that the slides slide easily, the rubber boots aren't cracked, and the pads move easily in the springy clips (officially the "fitting kit") holding them. I rarely spend any more time on it than that. If the slides do slide easily with a good greased feel, I don't bother taking them out or fussing with the grease. (They will move stiffly at first, that's normal; a few in-n-out motions will wake the grease back up.) If I find anything at all that could stand to be replaced, as often as not it's just the fitting kit (about a $15 investment, does two wheels). If I don't have it on hand, since I'll be in there again at the next tire rotation anyway, I can just put things back together and make a note-to-self to get the parts for next time.

Keep up with that kind of basic inspection and the pads will last a long, long, long time. (Even better, if you're measuring them each time, you can plot those points, lay a ruler on them, follow it to the 1 mm mark, and see when you're going to replace them.)

But if you don't do those basic inspections regularly, there are any number of small problems that can crop up, not be caught, and result in eating up some pads or rotors way earlier than you were expecting.

Mendel Leisk and HybridForLife like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty sure @Mendel Leisk says there is a brake service guide including fluid recommendations in the canadian o/m vs us.