1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake sound/vibration when stopped?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Steph411, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Steph411

Steph411 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I've searched all around the net, and the forums. Probably the closest I could find was here:
    Strange noise related to brakes? | PriusChat
    (which also has this link listed in it)
    TSB BR001-07 Brake actuator noise | PriusChat

I have a 2008 Prius with about 60,000 miles. (& extended warranty) I only noticed this new noise after taking a small day trip to the mountains to go hiking. The last road was a dirt road, but by no means was it 4 wheeling or anything! Coming down the mountain on the way home, I used the 'B' gear a lot for the engine braking. But now that I'm home, I hear this weird noise when I'm completely STOPPED, and my foot is on the brake. I can feel it in the brake pedal too when it makes the noise. It almost sounds like a violin string is being plucked once. Almost like the brake is slipping?? But the car doesn't move. I can move the brake pedal up & down (while still staying stopped) and it makes this noise more often. Does anyone know what this is? I'm not sure if YouTube vids are allowed here, but I got a quick video on my cell this morning in the parking lot at work. I know the regular (longer) noise it makes is normal.. but the shorter noise it makes every couple of seconds is the one I'm talking about. Does anyone know if this is normal, or is something going on with the brakes? (Braking is normal, like it was before I heard this noise.) And if something is wrong, any idea if an extended warranty will cover it, or will it be considered 'normal wear & tear?' :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpMu5OzH45g

2. Steph411

Steph411 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so after reading MOST of this (very long) thread: TSB BR001-07 Brake actuator noise | Page 6 | PriusChat

I see that it's probably air in the brake(?) lines, but not necessarily a big deal. I live in the Phoenix area, which is about 1200-1500? above sea level, and going up to Payson to hike (6000 ft above?) and coming back to Phoenix may have exacerbated any air in the lines I'm thinking.....

Questions are... does this need to be addressed at all? Will the 'barking' get worse until it's too annoying to ignore? Will extended warranties usually cover fixing this? I have a 2008 with 60k miles, but also have an extended warranty.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The barking does not need to be addressed unless you can get it covered under your extended warranty. It is not a safety issue.

This might be a good test to see whether your extended warranty coverage is worth the price you paid.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You could try bleeding the brakes to get the bubbles out. That cured the "Bark" in my 2004 and it hasn't come back.

JeffD

5. Steph411

Steph411 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you both! I'm due for an oil change, so I may take it to the dealer for that, then ask about the warranty/brakes & see what's covered.