1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake squeal after rotor and pad change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PatrickPrius, Sep 19, 2022.

1. PatrickPrius

PatrickPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took my 2011 Prius for a pad and rotor change to my local mechanic. I told them to disconnect the 12v battery but they were adamant they could do the job without doing this.

They said the sliding pins were seized so they had to use an angle grinder. Now whenever I brake I hear brake squeal. The car never comes to a smooth stop but it was like this before the brake change. There are no warning lights on the dash.

How do I solve these issues?

2. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Angle grinder for what? Sliding pins? o_O

Did they put pistons in X position?

166056_upload_2019-4-28_9-27-48.png

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So they changed 2 or 4 rotors ? So if you roll to a stop using just the b mode on an empty road or driveway whatever you don't hear this noise it's only when you depress the brake pedal far enough to activate the calipers which is pretty far usually? How many miles have you put on since the pads and rotors at least a hundred?

4. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, I would just take it back and show them what it's doing....shouldn't be a hard fix (and they should do it for free.)

jzchen likes this.
  5. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Check the alignment on the rear brake piston and the pads. The notches must match. Add grease on the backing plate of the pads and sliding pins. Always keep the original shims or backing plate from Toyota, they are much better than after market and usually thicker.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Man I didn't have any trouble with my gen 3 I just boom boom line the things up stuck the pads in slid the calipers on Make sure the slide pins are moving with my pinky and I put my new slotted cross drilled rotors on just because they were cheap and I had them and that's it never look back I think I'm using the I'm not sure what pads but they had nice thick well-made gyms they are Raybestos top of the line right now. Or very close to it I think they were 34 $36 a set and they look really nice and well made everything looks good and they stop well

7. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If pins totally totally seized and wont open with wrench, then what else to do but angle grinder. It does not destroy anything but the pins.

i would take it back to shop if sound wont go away in couple hundreds miles. Maybe mention the piston position thing too..but that is so common feature in so many cars that only complete rookie mechanic make that mistake.

ps. sound is a long squeeke while car is moving or does it come as a short burst when car comes to stop? Later hints to suspension. Sometimes nasty (rusty) sounds when something is worn out in suspension. I had bad bushings in rear sway bar in other car. Horrible sound when car came to complete stop..

8. PatrickPrius

PatrickPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have done 800 miles in the car since the change and no improvement. They changed all 4 rotors and all pads (used Genuine Toyota parts).

Brake squeal is constant when braking up until the car has stopped. However I cant hear the squeal when going speeds above 30MPH and braking. When letting the car roll to a stop in neutral there is no squeal.

When the car is about to stop, the pads sharply connect to the rotors no matter how softly I press the brake pedal (a clunking noise can be heard from the front of the car when it comes to a stop). Also when going over bumps and braking it is almost as if the pads slip on the rotor. I have to take my foot off the brake and press it again for it to brake.

Anyone got any more ideas what this could be?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the miles on the car? Had the brake maintenance been kept up in past, say once every 30K or 3 years, per the US schedule. Seems like a perfect storm: independendent mechanics who "know better", and long term neglect, to the point the caliper pins were seized. Perhaps they're still seized? Or the brake booster components have air? No dash lights?

10. PatrickPrius

PatrickPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The miles on the car is 150k. The car went for a service on schedule at Toyota until 80k miles. There are no dash lights. Could be a possibility that some of the sliding pins are still seized (I will ask them)

Im going to assume that from this point the brakes were not maintained. Here in the UK we have to send the car through an inspection once a year (MOT) people only seem to maintain their car if the MOT fails. The car failed an MOT once for worn rear pads. The previous owner replaced those pads with some cheap here today gone tomorrow brand. He said the guy who replaced them didn't seem to know what he was doing.

When driving in the rain the brakes squeal less. Do you think I should get all the sliding pins replaced first? This should resolve the squeal but have no idea why the brakes are not smooth and clunk when coming to a stop. Could the replacement of the rear pads by the previous owner introduce air into the brake booster components which would cause the clunking/?

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The pins go into holes in the caliper mounting brackets. Both the pins and brackets could be problematic. If the pins are binding (due to protracted dry condition and corrosion), refurb or replacement (of either or both) may be needed.

With the caliper off the mounting bracket the pin movement can be checked. Be cautious doing this: if for example you lift off a caliper, then open driver's door, there's a very good chance the brake system will try to pressurize, and pop out a caliper piston. My DIY approach (has worked so far), is to disconnect 12 volt neg cable before touching anything, and when everything is reassembled, push brake pedal multiple times (to get everything completely "seated", remove any excess play), and only then reconnect the 12 volt.

Doing this will lose your radio presets, set the car's displays to defaults, lose the trip meters, and cause the car do some kind of calibration rev-up for the next few start ups, no big deal. It might also require retrain of window auto-up function, but I've been lucky with that so far. Again, no big deal, cross that bridge when you get to it.

Appreciate I'm jumping the gun, you may not be interested in DIY, just FWIW. Attached has brake info, including torque values for the caliper mount bolts, should you dive in.

Attached Files:

#11 Mendel Leisk, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did they replace the brake shimes? And/or put brake paste on them?
    If they rear pads are wearing even, the you can remove them, clean the shimes and pads.
    Look at where the wear points are on the pads and shimes and put some brake & caliper grease
    on those marks. Don't forget to clean the caliper brackets.
    When you don't have the correct grease on the pads and shimes, you get vibration, which caused squeel.

While you have it apart, remove the slide pins and clean them with a rag and brake cleaner.
    Then grease them with brake lubricant.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A couple of lubes I've used:

For caliper pins: Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant
    For back of pads, shims, contact points on calipers: Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant (silver or copper)

Those are readily available in North America, not sure about UK.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The stuff that comes with a Toyota shim kit is a quite dark gray, almost black, and comes with a safety data sheet that identifies it as Molykote AS-880N. It's this weird thick tenacious stuff that is crazily difficult to get off of anything you didn't mean to get it on. Seems like just the stuff for a shim damping grease to avoid squeals.

johnHRP likes this.
  15. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if they just cranked old pads out and banged new pads in the outcome may be far from good. It is high mileage old car so careful cleaning and fitting needed. Lubrication too but sparingly with right stuf to right place. If pins seized and/or pads have too tight fitting brake feel is bad. Back to shop i would say or DIY

16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello? How about an update on what you did?? :whistle:(n)