1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake/Stop light/turn signal on a 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ericisbacchus, Jun 14, 2012.

1. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They're the same, top bulb, right? Pulling out the bulb, it looks like it's an amber bulb. I'm just confused on this. I'd like to get a brighter bulb. I guess I need an amber one? How does that work with the red brake light?

2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think you're confused, when you look at the lamp from the outside it appears as though the top is the stop light, then comes the turn signal, then reverse, then taillight at the bottom, so then when you go inside the hatch and start pulling out bulbs you just assume the top bulb is for the stop lamp, this is not correct, the top stop lamp LEDs are sealed in and it is not practically serviceable so when those go bad you're better off getting a new aftermarket unit. So the top bulb that you can access is the turn signal which is why the bulb is amber. (if you pull back the foam you should see a blue and black wire going into the top of the unit for the LEDs)

i've never felt the desire to increase the brightness of a turn signal bulb because they flash they are very noticeable to other drivers. However I wish I could increase the brightness of my taillight and reverse lights, especially in the Prius, I feel the way they come from the factory is a little dangerously un-bright.

3. ericisbacchus

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, the reason this is coming up is because I had the tail lights tinted. I want to make the stop/brake lights as bright as possible. So those lights are something the dealer needs to service? Can anyone recommend one that is brighter than the factory one? Thanks.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As previously mentioned, the brake lights are an array of six LEDs that are sealed into the light fixture. The entire light fixture usually is replaced when an LED fails.

I am not aware that aftermarket alternatives exist. If you are not satisfied with the current brightness, you would need to take the light fixture apart, remove the LED circuit board, unsolder the old LEDs, and solder new LEDs on the board.

ericisbacchus likes this.
  5. ericisbacchus

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bah! I don't know how to do any of those things. I guess my last question is will a tail light assembly for an '06-'09 fit in an '05? As I understand it, it's a simple bulb replacement for the brake light there.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, a rear light fixture from the 06-09 should fit. However you would need to replace both sides since there are some cosmetic differences starting with the 06 year.

Further, there is no difference with regards to the brake lighting - again, there are six LEDs that make up the brake light.

7. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I just noticed one of my stop light LED's is not working. There are 6 LED's per side, so losing one is not a safety issue. I am hoping someone has figured out a way to replace these. Can I individually test them using a multimeter?

8. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :confused:"tinted tail light but wants brighter tail lights.":confused:

I must be older with my thinking than I think I am.. But what was the purpose of tinting your tail lights????

You tint them, then want brighter bulbs... doesn't make sense to me...

9. ericisbacchus

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tinting -- looks cool.
    Make them brighter -- just to err on the side of caution. But after looking at them some more, I don't think they need to be brighter. You can see them just fine.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the UK and Europe it is illegal to tint the lights since it reduces light output and all lights fitted to any vehicle have to be marked with an "E" to show they meet all legislation requirements. Surely in the US there is an equivalent law, as with window tint.