1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake system burps

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hemi71cuda, Aug 17, 2020.

1. hemi71cuda

hemi71cuda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently acquired a used 2010 with 134k. Brakes felt weird compared to my 2004 but I’ve gotten used to it. It makes funky burping/farting/clunking noises every so often though. I was able to catch one in a video after my drive home today. This occurred about a minute and a half after turning car off:

I figured the first place to start is bleeding the brake system unless anyone has a more informed idea.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty common issue. may stay like that, or you may have to replace the actuator someday. changing the fluid was a good move

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the recirculate flat releasing to the fresh air setting after shutting the car off.
    And the brake accumulator releasing pressure also. Mine make the same noises, more or less.

The brakes definitely take some getting use too! If you barely touch them, the regenerative braking
    is working. A lot different than my van!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is exactly what it does, about that long after turning the car off, every single time. It's a routine self test. Every poster who has chimed in about it being some harbinger of dooooooooooom ought to go listen to it in their own car.

ASRDogman likes this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will take a while to get use to all the funny noises the Prius makes.
    Read the owners manual. It will give you some insight to what's happening...

6. hemi71cuda

hemi71cuda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get similar and more varied squeks, burps and noises during operation as well. It was just easier and much safer to try and capture this common after shut down occurrence.
    I am coming directly from a 2004 Prius that was totaled in an accident. I’m accustomed to the normal coolant Pump noises and brake pump noises and when they occurred in the gen 2.
    I’m gonna try not to panic about a major brake system repair but the noises that occur while the vehicle is in use really don’t seem like they should be “normal”.

7. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you made sure you're up-to-date on all the recalls on your Prius? Also, Toyota enhanced (extended) the warranties on a couple of systems (including the intelligent power module and the brake booster), that you should be aware of.

Are you aware of the EGR system clogging problems with this generation?