1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake, VSC and ABS lights on. Title edit: Needs new rear hub. Recommendations???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cdherman, May 16, 2023.

1. cdherman

cdherman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My daughter first noted as intermittent. Although the battery was nearly new, it was a hacked in wheel chair (mobility) battery. So I replaced the 12v battery with a new Toyota battery, just cause if were to take it to a dealer, they would have doubtless immediately blamed the battery. No changes.

I jacked up the front and rear ends and it seemed the rear passenger brakes were dragging a tad. So took things apart, greased the pins and brushed and greased the ears of the pads. Pads looked AMAZING for a vehicle with 112,000 miles, so I kept them. Rotors were nice and clean, not overheated. Not worn much honestly. Wheel bearing with the pads removed spun nicely, no rattle or roughness and no play.

First drive out, Lights all go away. I was pretty smug. Drove it HARD, engaging the ABS multiple times with hard braking. No more errors.

Next outing three hours later, driving on highway at 69 mph, cruise on, suddenly, cruise kicks off and seconds later all three light come back on.

Received a VCI techstream compatible cable today and a hacked copy of techstream. But have not gotten started with the reportedly tedious process to get such "less than legit" techstream installations working.

Any ideas? Seems there was an event in the electronics of the vehicle that had very little to do with brakes or ABS or VSC system that is somehow triggering that combination of lights. Seems like the error is intermittant and then the ECU clears the codes after a while and the light dissappear.

2014 Prius 2 with upgrades to include back-up camera (from dealer, installed day one 2014) and not much else. 112,000 miles. NO check engine light. Burns no oil, Original brakes, no issues really.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. cdherman

cdherman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got techstream working. To the best of my abilites. Looks like a pretty complicated program. Did a "Health Check" and got nothing, but then digging down into some Enhanced view, I see codes c1238 "foreign object attached to tip of rear speed sensor RH" and c1466 rear speed sensor right hand circuit.

Recon I need to read up on what to replace and get going. Or maybe something just needs cleaning.

So far the $45 from amazon seems well spent, though windows fights you all the way -- thinks the software in malware and tries to delete it about as fast as you can install. And the install instructions are quite poorly written. I spent years in IT and played with computers before so I prevailed, but would not give it glowing reviews to say the least. I installed on an old laptop that serves no purpose now. If there is malware in their, well cannot hurt too much.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I still have original front pads and all original rotors at 280,000 miles. If you anticipate stops you use regen braking 98% of the time.

The rear pads were replaced as a part of my wheel hub with integrated wheel speed sensor replacement. A wheel hub is what you need as well.

The rear pads would have remained otherwise.

By the way, you will find a dramatic price difference between OEM/Timkens and cheap aftermarket hubs. The cheap ones might last a year.

5. cdherman

cdherman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, my friend of a friend Toyota mechanic says replace the hub as well. Methinks the same.

Best price on Toyota is around $225 and up Timken is $185 shipped from Rock and little more from Amazon. Reviews on Amazon are not so great interestingly.

I think I'd like to just go with the best aftermarket I can find. Its not like its a part that's prone to catastrophic failure resulting in more issues with the car.

Any brands someone would like to recommend????

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would get one from a salvage yard before getting something other than an oem or Timken. Only one of my oem hubs went out at 250k from a bearing standpoint. A non Amazon Timken replaced it three years ago.

Amazon has a lot of counterfeit parts.

IMG_2057.jpeg

7. cdherman

cdherman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got a Timken from RockAuto for $175 or so, plus tax and $11 shipping. Shipping was remarkably fast -- I think they have multiple warehouses. Installed yesterday, fairly easy except that the old unit was thoroughly rusted in place. Required the assistance of a 3 lb sledge hammer banging it side to side to finally get it out. Dash lights went out by the end of my driveway and have not returned.

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good deal

9. Ledorian

Ledorian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I found this video on how to install techstream its very fast and has no malware in it i suggest using this method :