1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake warning light on with confusing symptoms

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Wisco, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks,

For a couple weeks the brake warning light has been on in our 2002 with 180k. The brakes are strong as ever, the ABS light isn't on, and there are no DTCs present (except P0420, unrelated). The brake pedal isn't harder to press than usual. There is a definite pulse/shudder when braking, but that's not new and the frequency of the pulse slows with vehicle speed, making me think that is just rough rotors (which I resurfaced last winter when I had the same symptoms). It almost feels like ABS pulsing, but rougher. I pulled an ABS fuse with no change, so I don't think that's involved. If I really stomp on the brakes the pulsing turns into an audible thunking in the front end. It doesn't pull either way when the brakes are applied. I can also hear a very faint cricket chirp sort of sound which disappears when I apply the brakes (I would guess wheel bearings are starting to go).

The day the light turned on I had loaned the car to my mother, and my first thought was that she hit the parking brake accidentally and maybe drove around with it engaged. It was bitter cold that day and I wondered if the switch on the parking brake froze or something, but engaging and releasing repeatedly didn't help and we've had warmer weather since then. So unless shoving a boot in the wrong place could do it, she's off the hook. The switch is inaccessible, otherwise I'd pull the harness and bypass just to be sure.

Since brakes are sort of important, I want to be proactive on this. The manual suggests the culprit may be low brake fluid or a faulty brake booster power supply. Plenty of fluid. The test for the power supply says to check the battery voltage (charged it over night, light stayed on) and to check the pressure at the brakes. I'm not equipped to test the pressure, so I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do.

I had thought I'd check voltage going into the unit, but it'd be a lot of work just to poke my multi tester around. I would test voltage at the fuse, but can't find a brake fuse besides the many dedicated to the ABS.

So I have symptoms of a more mechanical brake issue (pulse relative to speed), but from what I understand the BRAKE light is pretty specific to brake booster issues.

Any input is appreciated. I just don't know if I'm dealing with multiple issues here or what. Is it likely the BRAKE light is an early warning of a developing booster problem? If so, can I expect progressing symptoms or sudden failure? Could a mechanical issue causing the pulsing also illuminate the BRAKE light? I can't figure out how what the computer is sensing that causes it to turn on the light.

Barring any other ideas, I'm going to pull the front wheels and inspect the rotors, calipers, and bearings. Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for your time.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

How long have you had this 2002? Long enough to have grown familiar with how the accumulator pump normally sounds? How often it runs, how long it runs to shut off, and so on?

Are you noticing any change in that behavior?

The pump is instrumented to within an inch of its life. There are two wires going to it for power, and three running back to the ECU just to sense the voltage arriving at the pump and the amount of current it draws, which the ECU compares to the normal range. Anything out of limits will give you a DTC. It would be sort of hard for the pump to go bad undetected.

The BRAKE light is kind of a multipurpose animal. The ECU can light it up for various reasons, but it can also light because of the level sensor in the fluid reservoir or because of the switch on the parking brake pedal. Both of those connections should be pretty easy to get to (compared to the accumulator pump!). Do you see any change in your symptoms if you temporarily unplug those?

-Chap

3. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks chap.

We've had the car less than two years, and I've never really paid attention to the accumulator pump so I don't have a baseline. It doesn't sound obviously bad, but it's hard to isolate with the misc gizmos running under the hood.

I disconnected the parking brake and fluid level sensors, and disconnected the battery for half an hour just to be sure. BRAKE light is still on. At least I can rule out those two, assuming an open circuit is okay and closed indicates trouble.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know offhand whether open or closed is "okay" for each of those. I may have misread your post because I thought you were getting the light intermittently, in which case you could at least tell you had changed something if unplugging one of those switches made it go either off or on solid. I think there was another brake thread within the last couple years where someone did the same test and reported whether the fluid level switch was NO or NC.

It might just be worth trying the blinkenlight method to check for any codes from the brake ECU. I don't know what you're using for a code scanner, maybe there could be a code it's not seeing. You can jumper the Tc and CG terminals at the diagnostic connector and count blinks of the ABS light - search for other threads here that give more detail.

-Chap

5. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lets say your fluid level switch got disconnected, wouldn't you want to have the brake light come on to let you know there was a problem, as opposed to having it stay off, giving you a false sense of security?

When all is well, the fluid level sensor is closed. Is your brake fluid well above the MIN mark?

Avi

6. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really helpful, thanks both.

The BRAKE light has been on constantly for a few weeks. Aside from using the parking brake, it never came on prior.

For codes I use an OBDII wifi adapter and EngineLink on my phone. It has retrieved DTCs from a variety of systems in the car and displays live data as well, though none of the PIDs are directly related to brakes. I will use the jumper method to see if that reveals anything my gizmo is missing.

You're right Avi, it would make more sense to open the circuit when trouble occurs. Between the shop manual, testing the sensor continuity, and Google I should be able to sort that out for certain. And yes, fluid is at the Max line.

It's a simple test to see if the parking brake switch is open or closed when the brake in engaged. So I'll sort that out too, rather than assume.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I got a chance to look in my manual (pp. DI-380 and 381) and the code for low brake fluid is the same as for open circuit in level sensor wiring.

Either one should give you a C1202 code (or blink code 58).

You could test whether you get those codes with the level sensor known to be unplugged - that might confirm whether your gizmo is able to see them.

-Chap

8. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, confusion continues.

Both the parking brake and fluid level are closed by default open for trouble. Both seem fine.

I jumpered tc to cg (fourth from top left to fifth from left bottom) and rather than the ABS light flashing I got a diagnostic screen on the MFD. I couldn't read the (presumably Japanese) symbols but they all said OK. Same thing when I tried it with the level sensor disconnected. I'll upload the pic when I can, for now it should be visible at Share.Pho.to | This photo set was shared via Share.Pho.to

The only flashing lights were door, airbag, and seatbelt. They were flashing rapidly with no discernible pattern.

#8 Wisco, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  9. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fun twist: the ABS light doesn't come on at IG:On with the rest.

And the manual says if the ABS doesn't come on when tc and cg are connected, the ecu may be faulty. However I believe there is a DTC for communications failure with the brake ecu, so that seems unlikely. There are 11 volts between the pins.

I'd love it to just be a burnt out bulb. DI-363 says to check the indicator by IG: on. It isn't clear if that is THE test, but the light certainly doesn't come on.

There's also a test on DI-446 of connecting pin WA of the brake ECU harness to ground. However, the light goes off if the test is okay. So that seems to be unhelpful.

If I just disconnect the brake ECU and the light still doesn't come on, would that be definitive proof the light (or associated wiring) is bad?

Sorry for the rambling as I stumble through! I thought I'd grabbed the whole service manual from tech.info, but I'm missing BE-2 to 11, which seem related to this system.

#9 Wisco, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, the Tc to CG jumper puts everything in test mode at once. Door gives you codes from the Body ECU, airbag gives codes from the airbag ECU (natch), etc. The fast even blink means nothing to report. The MFD goes to the same diagnostic screen you can pull up normally with the six taps on the screen, only with the language changed to Japanese. It sounds like you're not seeing the ABS light any time ever, so maybe you do have a problem right there (bad bulb, wiring to bulb, or brake ECU.

The combination meter is really easy to get to for checking the bulb. Just grab the bezel around it with your hands and tug upward. Then the meter itself is held on with (IIRC) four obvious screws.

-Chap

11. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, burnt out ABS bulb.

Now that it's working, the car is much more communicative. ABS stays on while driving, and in diagnostic mode gave these codes:

11 Open circuit in ABS solenoid circuit
    46 Malfunction in regulator pressure sensor
    63 Malfunction in HV ECU communication circuit
    64 Malfunction in hydraulic system

And the door light flashed out:

41 Low or abnormally high battery positive voltage in IG1 circuit

Given the long list, my first stop will be the brake ECU harness. Otherwise all these have diagnostics in the manual so I will just go down the list.

It's a bit daunting to see so many codes (and have no idea how long they've been present -maybe we never had functional ABS-) but I'm back in familiar waters now that I can get the codes.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm kind of thinking the previous owner might have deferred some maintenance for, um, a while, if the ABS light bulb ever had enough hours of ON time to burn it out! ... or maybe just got tired of looking at it, and popped in a burned-out one?

-Chap

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, the 11 could be as simple as the ABS relay. Be careful about the 46 - when I look in my code table that's the blink code for four different DTCs, not just the first one you saw. Those DTCs are for the four different pressure sensors in the system, so if you had a code scanner you might be able to pinpoint one of them, but going only by blink codes you can't because they're all 46. (But I wouldn't be surprised if bad pressure readings could be secondary to no ABS power - the code 11 - and the generic hydraulic system malfunction, code 64, secondary to them.) The 63 might be something else, but I might just put it out of mind at first and look into the 11/46/64.

Umm, did you look up that door code in the brake code table? In my (2001) manual, it's listed as "Body ECU switch circuit diagnosis" (page DI-753).

It's also one of the only apparent mistakes I've ever caught in Toyota's manuals. My edition lists "stop light switch" as the trouble area, both on DI-753 and DI-761, and for years I would see that code whenever I entered test mode, and I thought I was going crazy because there wasn't a thing I could find wrong with the stop light switch.

By total trial and error I found I can turn the door code 41 on and off by locking and unlocking the driver's door. It is apparently for testing the LSWD signal described on DI-734, "door unlock detection switch circuit," and somebody's notes were hard to read and got transcribed as "stop light switch" in the manual.

So don't worry about that 41. If you like, you can confirm that all is well with your lock switch by sitting in the car in test mode and flipping the driver door lock knob between unlocked and locked. Be patient, it takes a few times through the code blink cycle before it reflects the change.

-Chap

14. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    41 is a relief, and I did get that from the brake list. I wondered if there was a separate list, but since the list was labeled something generic and I assumed they wouldn't use duplicate numbers.. I didn't think much of it on my first pass.

Tomorrow will be a car day. If the ECU connections look okay I'll head for the relay. I'd love to get the ABS working again, but especially want to identify anything that might effect the general brake functionality.

Thanks yet again Chap

15. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was really hoping that relay would be bad, but it passed all the tests perfectly including connection to the brake ECU. And the brake actuator in between had the appropriate 30 Ohms of resistance.

The manual says 'if it passes all the tests, put the burnt-out bulb back in and pretend you never knew'. (I was surprised too). Or the brake ECU may be defective. Although a bad computer is a convenient scapegoat, they don't go bad very often do they?

The diagnostics for 46 and 64 involve pressure testing equipment I don't have, so unless the readings were way out of range I wouldn't know. I can check the various connections, but that's about it.

63 is probably the one that lit up the BRAKE light and started me down this rabbit hole. I haven't met my HV ECU yet, but checking the connections between the two wouldn't be too hard. This seems like a reasonable next step, since I'm equipped to do it. Passing that test would also suggest ECU problems.

DI-444 has a brake ECU test, but it hinges on having no trouble codes. The only step that seems relevant is (6) confirming the ABS light goes out when terminal WA of B11 is connected to ground. And since the ECU believes there are faults, I can't blame it for indicating that.

When I was poking around in there, I noticed that terminal PRR (B13-13) was a bare wire, which seemed odd. It tested fine though (less than 1v to ground w/IG: on)

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, does that mean you tested the circuit end-to-end? It looks like you could: pull the relay out, stick one ohmmeter probe at pin 3 of the relay socket, backprobe the other one into pin 6 of connector B13 at the brake ECU, and measure your 33 Ω or so of resistance all the way through. If that's what you see, then that part of the circuit seems in pretty good shape.

We have to look at what exactly the ECU is complaining about. With C0278, it's saying "hey, I tried to turn on the ABS SOL relay (by pulling my SR terminal to ground, which ought to energize the relay, because my R1+ terminal is supposed to be at battery volts) but I didn't see my AST terminal come up to 10-14 volts (or it took more than 0.2 seconds to happen)."

So you can use a voltmeter to check the same things the ECU says it is doing and seeing. When you turn the ignition ON, do you see roughly battery voltage between R1+ (B11 pin 7) and a ground, and 2 volts or less between SR (B10 pin 19) and a ground, with the relay in place in the socket? It's possible you have to watch carefully to see SR go low, I'm not sure whether the ECU keeps it low, or gives up after a fraction of a second if it doesn't see the AST confirmation.

If R1+ and SR have the right voltages and the relay is in place, what voltage do you see at AST (B13 pin 6)? If that voltage rises to between 10 and 14 volts (and takes no more than 0.2 seconds to do it) then the ECU is lying to you and should be replaced. But if that isn't what you measure, then the ECU was telling you the truth, and there's still a problem for you to find, somewhere in the R1+ (yellow with black), SR (black with blue), or AST (black with orange) wiring, or an oxidized connection somewhere, etc.

So before trying to make too many more predictions, what does your voltmeter say?

I would regard these codes as most likely secondary to the ABS power code. If the ECU isn't even able to turn on power to the actuator valves, it hasn't got any hope of controlling the fluid pressures it wants. If the codes are still around after you can get the actuator turned on, that's when I'd think about them.

Oh, I bet the ECU wouldn't be shy about flashing you a warning for lack of power to the actuator....

-Chap

17. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, pin 3 to pin 6 of B13 with a few feet of wire to complete the loop.

You're right, I can squeeze some more info out this. Thanks for the roadmap, I'll get back in there with my multi tester. Since I know the relay works, I just have to figure out what else isn't doing its job.

18. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe it or not, I'm still working on this. I've confirmed the ABS isn't working, the brakes have locked up a couple times on very hard stops. I resurfaced the rotors (seems like they need it every spring) and all the shuddering and noise is gone when braking.

The car is losing oil and has P0420 (cat converter - probably fouled O2 sensors from burning oil). I'm focused on finding out where the oil is going. I found a puddle in the intake manifold, but everybody says that's normal for a Prius.

It also had a bout of 'big hand syndrome' recently. I think I cleared that up (all hail bwilson).

But the car did get us and our stuff safely to our new home in Minneapolis, Minnesota!

Attached Files: