1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake warning lights were on because of warn bearing?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Regulus, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Regulus

Regulus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive a 2012 Prius c. I have had the repair done, but what the mechanic said was the cause of the warning lights staying on seems strange. So I would love to get some advice on this.

The red BRAKE, exclamation point, traction, and ABS lights were staying on. This started a few days ago. The (nondealership) mechanic said a warn front bearing was causing the lights to come on and the wheel could fall off. But there was never a grinding noise, or any noise, coming from the front end when I would make a turn, so would that mean there was no problem with the bearing? Does it make sense that the bearing would cause the brake system lights to come on?

I called a dealership mechanic to ask about it and he said there was no way the bearing could cause the warning lights to appear. The mechanic who did the repair said the warning lights were on because the warn bearing caused the timing of the revolutions gets messed up and the bearing is electronic. I have the old bearing now and can post a pic of it if that would help.

Thank you...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have the lights gone away? there is a speed sensor that might be affected if the bearing was binding. i don't think the wheel can fall off, so that is a bit concerning regarding the mechanic.
    but if all stays well, i wouldn't worry about it. the people on the phone at the dealerships are clueless.

how many miles on her?

3. Regulus

Regulus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    She has 116,000 miles. The lights have gone away. Ever since I got the car two years ago, the brakes have been catchy in the rain. I would push the pedal and it wouldn't slow down much until suddenly it would stop rather hard. I was told the brake warning lights were warning me the brakes could fail in the rain. As a reminder, the lights were on for just a few days.

Can the bearing be warn despite not making a grinding noise when turning?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The front bearing doesn't contain the wheel speed sensor, the way the rear bearing does. The sensor in front just mounts to the steering knuckle (and the tone ring is part of the axle shaft).

But the bearing's job is to hold the axle shaft (and tone ring) in position where the sensor can pick it up, so there is a way for excessive wear to mess that up.

I would be more confident if the mechanic had provided diagnostic codes or otherwise shown his work.

It's hard for front bearings to let the hub fly off, even when very worn, because the drive axle goes through and has a big nut on the end. (Should the bearing fail completely, I guess the end of the axle would not last forever, though.)

Rear bearings are a different story.

5. Regulus

Regulus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Should I ask to get a printout of his diagnostic codes?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might as well. as to the bearing not making noise, i suppose it is possible.

prius is known for catchy brakes when wet. keep in mind, when you apply brake pressure, it is a combo of regeneration through the tranny, and the brake calipers. the harder you press, the more the calipers and less tranny regen.

7. Regulus

Regulus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked for their diagnostic codes and the mechanic said they are gone. He said the instrument is plugged into the car and they get a reading, which disappears after it's unplugged. And it is not hooked up to a printer.

I have received diagnostic codes for other situations from other mechanics without asking. The car is fine now, but the lack of this garage's transparency is upsetting.

#7 Regulus, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and ridiculous. is that a toyota dealer?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be a one off glitch and everything is fine. i would wait to see if it happens again

10. Regulus

Regulus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The car feels great while driving.

It's not a dealer. It is [name of town] Auto Clinic. I am way too trusting of strangers, lol. I'll definitely get a 2nd opinion next time.

Thank you again, everyone.