1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake weirdness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tombukt2, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yesterday while driving. All of the sudden my left front brake or wheel area started making a horrible scraping sound. Turns out my caliper was squeezing but not releasing the so I took the caliper off my lado 5 which by the way both of them like brand new stop the car about 10 times I took that piece off my lato five. And put it on my '09 initially when I had my partner come out and hold the brake pedal down after pumping I went to normally bleed the brakes on the first pump I cracked the zerk very slowly. And fluid came out of the zerk harder than I've ever seen it in any other car in my life and almost put a hole in the plastic that it hit did this twice actually then on the 3rd 4th and 5th successive times it looked like the normal size of the diameter of the hole of the zerk fitting squirt the first two squirts look like a fire hose it's flared out way wider than the zerk fittings hole and all that after doing this I took the car for a test drive. And now the car pulls wildly to the right meaning the left caliper is not grabbing the rotor I can still see the surface rust on the rotor from my 05 car normally it would have been gone and one stop so I'm at a loss as to why my left side caliper is not grabbing. The slides are good I can almost squeeze the caliper piston down with my two thumbs I have to grab my large channel locks to to do it but it doesn't take a hard squeeze I guess I'll try and fool around with bleeding this one caliper again and see if that's the deal. I do know when I remove the caliper from the 05 I kept the caliper hose bolt hole aimed up at all times so not losing any of my motul.5 fluid to the ground upon installing the new hose screw on my 09 to the caliper I kept everything facing the sky when I got it all connected and tight caliper still in my hand I write the caliper like it sits on the car put the 17 mm bolts in. And then crack the zerk with the car completely off and see if any gravity will push on the fluid already in the caliper and it did I got successive drips at the regular rate I'm used to seeing on my Corolla. So I thought everything was good to go then when I got my car my brake pedal feels almost like the 05 when the accumulator pump went out not quite two feet to stop but it seemed to really close. My other three breaks still lock up like they always have been no ABS. The caliper from my ledo 5 on the 09 left front is not coming on at the same time or seriously out of sync I'm pretty much not working at all causing this kind of right pulling only when the brakes are applied so the car is dangerous not to me but no one else could ever drive it

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The fluid can squirt out pretty fast during bleeding. There's an accumulator can pumped to 2000 psi behind it.

If the car doesn't know you're doing a brake bleed when that happens, it can interpret the sudden outflow as a broken or leaking brake line, and then the ECU won't send any fluid to that brake anymore, to avoid losing all the brake fluid out of a leak. Any dash lights?

I never knew a lado 5 front caliper would fit on a Prius.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I put a late 05 caliper . And I am very funny about cracking the bleed screw none of that fast winding crap and letting everything go blowing out usually when I crack the bleed screw on everything I've ever bled which has been thousands of vehicles and power sports equipment. I have never seen fluid squirt out like this I generally lift up on the 8 mm wrench very slowly and look for that stream to come out slowly I don't allow the lift up and have it come out like a fire hose and then as soon as I hear my wife's foot start to move down on the pedal as it does when you get to the last step of the bleed I've already got the line closed in her foot's coming up for five more pumps and a hold it happens within milliseconds we've done this for years right now the surface rust is still on the left caliper it is barely barely touching the rotor that application and my pedal feels retarded so I will try to bleed it again a little more but this may have fried the brake system completely now now when I step on the brakes to lock up all four wheels three lock up and the car wants to go to the right to the ditch before it went straight and all four wheels locked up this caliper was just working on this 05 car a few months ago nothing's really changed the Piston moves freely as do the slides so I'll just have to play with

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wonder if it could be my ABS pump assembly that is going bad that is causing the calipers to lock because now the right side is starting to act up it's not scraping yet I'm going to lift it up and see if it's actually locking up or it's just doing all the work in the front the other left side the one I had to do the put the caliper on from the '05 the rust hasn't even gotten off the complete caliper I mean the complete rotor. So I know it's not doing any work hardly and I find that weird today the pedal returned with a little more movement try to bleed again just for now but it looks like I'm going to have to finally take this ABS pump accumulator off and the car may never run again

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it's time you retire from working (or is it jerry rigging?) on your car before you get hurt or get someone else killed...

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No Jerry rigging . So.y swapped a working caliper but my abs pump code for LR pressure low has been on 2 yrs . I think opening system finalized it like exactly what happened to the 05. Nothing's Jerry rigged yet it's all factory but I don't think ABS pumps and accumulators are available for this model I have two sitting here that are supposedly working from pretty well known source so I'm going to try swapping them again the last time I did this on the '05 the car never started again I just took that car apart again to look and see if I had any bad connections in the inverter from undoing it and moving it to the side to change the thing the ABS pump and no everything was connected so hopefully it was just the trashed battery in that car that kept it from running but I don't know that for a fact but it seems likely.