1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake yellow warning light with C1643 and C1644 diagnostic code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mubasherusman, Oct 31, 2020.

1. mubasherusman

mubasherusman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have prius 2007 NHW20, 1NZ-FXE, and its about 150k miles on odo, I had a yellow brake light on my dash for quite some time. And yesterday I scanned my prius and found the c1643 and c1644 trouble code.

Here is the exact discription from LAUNCH device

IPA/parking assist monitor
    C1643: Brake control system failure
    C1644: Brake control system invalid

Can someone guide me exactly what is the issue and what need to be replaced/repair.

Is it dangerous to drive with this?
    What is the solution if you can guide the exact area where this fault is?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

That OBD2 scanner may not be toyota hybrid compatible, as the posted OBD2 codes (DTCs) don't appear to be applicable. Many will use a "mini-vci" cable with a copy of techstream on a windows device, this is the same software that the dealership techs will use. Others get by with a OBD2 bluetooth adapter and a phone App like Dr Prius or Torque.

Read this site before buying an adapter : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

If you have access to other OBD2 readers in the area, you should try rescanning with those as well.

3. mubasherusman

mubasherusman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to another local technician and he scanned with bluedriver, same code appeared with same description.

However I still have not reached to dealership because they are far from my place and they charge so many bucks for just scanning.

Thay is why i am askinh on this forum if someone has knowledge of this code and what can be the root cause.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me rephrase then, the reported DTC (code) doesn't appear to be related to the gen2 prius (do a search to confirm). You might try using another App (or Techstream) with an appropriate adapter and see if you can retrieve a different OBD2 code / DTC result.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was IPA (Intelligent Park Assist) not available as an option on any Gen 2 option packages in the US?

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Since @mubasherusman is in India, his car may have been built for sale in Japan and then exported later as a used car. Such vehicles don’t necessarily have the same DTCs as those sold elsewhere, especially for features such as Intelligent Parking Assist (IPA) that were offered, at the time, only in Japan.

DTCs C1643 and C1644 indicate that the IPA system has received a trouble report from, or been unable to communicate with, the brake system. The actual problem may be indicated by DTCs stored in the skid control ECU, the computer that runs the brake system, but perhaps the scan tools used so far haven’t been able to communicate with this computer. @SFO's kind suggestion to use a more capable diagnostic system—preferably Toyota Techstream software—is the best way to proceed.

It may be also necessary to refer to the Japanese edition of the Electronic Technical Manual (電子技術マニュアル) for the NHW20 series, published on CD-ROM. At this writing, a few copies are offered in Yahoo! JAPAN auctions; I didn’t check if their sellers would export directly or via a buying service.
    That’s difficult to say from the information available. The safest course is to assume that any brake-related problem could be dangerous until proven otherwise.

SFO and mubasherusman like this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This thread is a reminder of a couple useful things to remember:

First, while there are code readers that can get all the info from a Prius and readers that can't, that's not the same thing as getting a code from a reader and thinking it has showed you the code wrong. The codes come from the car as (at least in the Gen 2s and 3s) a sixteen bit number: you use two bits to pick the letter P, C, B, or U, the next two pick a digit 0 to 3, and each next group of four bits to choose from 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F.

Those rules don't change for manufacturer-specific codes; a code reader might not "know" the code, but that doesn't mean it'll show the code wrong. (More likely is a reader may show the wrong explanation for a code, mixing it up with what some other car uses the code for.)

The other thing is that the codes are best looked up in the repair manual specific to the car. They just aren't all going to come up in Google searches, and even when they do, Google could be finding posts about other cars, or cars in other markets, or posts by people guessing.

mubasherusman likes this.
  8. mubasherusman

mubasherusman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are absolutely right about the car being imported from japan and its NHW20 Japanese model and now I am understanding your point.

My Prius do have IPA. But I never used it as I dont know how to use it neither pressing IPA button did anything on my car so previusly I thought something wrong with IPA.

I will try to diagnose with techstream software and thanks for you all guys pointing to right direction.

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That only started in 2010 with introduction of the new Gen3 and the Advanced Technology Package upgrade.