1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes & ABS Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bikeking19, May 19, 2021.

1. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2006 that runs great with 184k on it, no leaks, strong battery, rides smooth. But there is an issue or multiple issues with the brakes and ABS. The ABS light, TPMS light, and emergency brake light are constantly on, regardless of whether or not the emergency brake is engaged. The brakes seem to stick or grab, hard to explain exactly but it's not a smooth stopping motion like it should be. The problem with the ABS is, there is no ABS. Stomp on the brakes and lock up the tires. I'm an aviation mechanic and electronics tech, is there a way I can fix this without costing me more than the car's worth? I have an OBD scanner with Torque Pro app, but it's not showing any codes for the brake system although I could be looking in the wrong place. Any advice is much appreciated!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Getting the codes is the first order of business. If the scan tool you've got isn't showing them, I'd start with the jumper wire and count-light-blinks method. Gets the scan tool out of the question. Gives you a bit less detailed information, but a big step up from none.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Torque should be able to offer up most if not all of the codes (DTCs), did you load the gen2 PIDS into Torque?

Though it is possible to do a decent amount of gen2 brake work without using techstream, you'll end up needing it sooner than later.

Now you only need to consider which tethered OBD2 dongle (tactrix, mini-vci, etc) you would like to purchase to use with techstream.

4. jay69

jay69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I bout a prius the other day with abs light brake like and yellow exclamation...........I noticed the rotors were getting shiny and it felt like the brake was draggin.............although the brake reservoir looked like it was to the full mark sucking some out made the lights go away

5. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ive got the same symptoms and pulled my blink codes as ABS 42 and (!) 65 which is hydrolic pressure low for the rear drivers side. In addition, my parking break wont work. I have adjusted the screw on the pedal (under the dash) all the way so that the brake feels very tight and make the clicking sounds as expected when setting it, but in practice it does nothing to stop the car. What does this mean ?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As covered in your other thread, probably means the rear brakes are out of adjustment (meaning at the actual adjusters in the rear brakes, not any screw under the dash).

7. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up for me
    gotcha, thanks for clearing that up for me