1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes Broken?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mary2al, Jan 15, 2008.

1. mary2al

mary2al Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it normal for the front pads to be worn out after 20K? I know this is normal on a regular car but with regen I thought it might be premature. It is mountain driving with more braking than hiway.
    Thanks for any info.
    Al
    04 44K

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, it is not normal. Why do you think they are worn out? Possibly at 200k but not 20k.

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends on how the car is driven. There are some around here who have indicated that after 100,000 miles they have only minimal wear on their brake pads.

The Prius attempts to use regenerative braking as much as possible which typically would extend the life of the brake pads significantly. However, if you frequently brake fast or hard, or if you drive long distances down steep hills/mountains (especially without the use of the "B" transmission setting), or if you frequently drive very bumpy roads that cause the activation of the Anti-Lock Braking System, then the brake pads will engage more frequently and wear much faster.

20,000 miles might mean there is something wrong, or it might just mean that your driving environment and habits cause faster brake pad wear than others.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amplifying one of Danny's points: you should use "B" when coming down mountains to avoid riding the brakes. If you drive in mountains but never use "B" that could explain the brake wear.

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HMMM Just how does riding the brakes wear the pads when they are only used at below 9 MPH and in panic stops? Riding only increases regeneration. I find on most long downhills just letting up on the gas is enough to keep me at desired speed. OP is from San Francisco and there are not any really long downhills near by that would justify using "B".

I think some dealer is trying to sell her a brake jobthat she does not need.

6. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree with SEASALSA the dealer is in a money making mode. However I have a friend that I have attempted to break of driving with the left foot hovering over the brake pedal. This person is absolutely certain they are doing no braking but I have driven behind them and watched the brake light go on and off even while they accelerate. Although in the Prius that should only cut into the gas mileage?? They also complain about their mileage and are unhappy with their Prius.

7. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In reverse order:
    May be, but we can't assume that.
    Mount Hamilton is near SF and provides an outstanding example of the danger of riding the brakes and the need for "B".
    If the braking effort required exceeds what the regen system can handle, regardless of speed the friction brakes will be used. There's no other place for the energy to go.

8. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sheesh. What MPGs do they report? Try to convince them to keep their left floor firmly on the damn floor for a week and see if their MPGs improve. This experiment will be less expensive than selling the Prius and buying something else.

9. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OP specifically states:
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. Without seeing and measuring the brake pads it is difficult to say for certain.

10. mary2al

mary2al Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input -- here is a bit additional info for clarity --

-- It is my private mechanic (long term & trusted) that found the front pads at the end of their useful life. I'm very mechanical about cars, always used to do my own repairs -- he's never missed a beat in a decade with a number of my cars.

-- I drive this Prius swiftly but go very lightly on the brakes. As said above just coasting regen brakes enough to control much speed and I barely touch the pedal to add braking.

-- How long have other's pads lasted?

-- 20K ago this Prius had an event -- the front pads and disks were all shot. Toyota had no replacements in the US because Prius brakes never needed replacements. They gave me a loaner for a week, discs came from Japan and they replaced all the brake rotors, pads (warranty) They claimed that the problem was that the caliper pins had not been lubed at the factory and messed up the brakes. I thought this was lame but it's all under warranty.

-- So now 20K later I'm wondering if it is normal for pads to be shot. If so I'll just have my mechanic replace them. If not I'll have to take it into the DeAlEr again and try to get to the bottom of a unique snafu.

So what do you think now? How long do your pads last?

Thanks,
    Al

11. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take it back to Toyota! Evidently they did not fix the original problem. I have 70K on the original pads with less than 10% wear. Many have gone 100k+ before replacing pads.

12. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, *now* the whole story comes out! The "event" repair was almost certainly done incorrectly. Take it back to a dealer, maybe a different dealer, and have them fix everything right. (If you like anecdotes, after 26K the wear on my pads is negligible.)

13. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I had to bet $1, and for lack of better terminology, I would guess your regenerative braking isn't regenerating. I could be wrong, but hey I'm only betting $1. :) Do you get a slight whirring noise as you slow down past about 10mph or so? After some city driving does your screen show that you've recovered any energy from braking?

14. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you putting your car in neutral?

15. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A sticky caliper will cause increased brake pad wear, although wearing them out in 20k seems extreme. Improperly lubricated pins mean the caliper cannot slide back and forth smoothly, causing it to "stick" in position after the brakes are applied with the pads still in slight contact with the rotor.

16. Bear68

Bear68 Member

I definitely recommend another trip to a Different dealer for a recheck as to why your pads are wearing. The dealer I work at sells more Priuses than almost anyone except for a few in California. I have NEVER done a set of Prius brakes. Ever.