1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes engaging very strongly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JasonWSVT, Mar 31, 2014.

1. JasonWSVT

JasonWSVT New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, I'm been having trouble with my brakes since last night. If I press very lightly on them, the car gently slows, but if I press very slightly more, the car slows rapidly - it seems like the wheels lock out, and there's a noise that seems to originate from the rear right wheel. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jason

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did the car recently get wet or is the humidity high? If so, an oxidation layer forms pretty quickly on the rotors and drums and it makes the brakes grab until the oxidation rubs off. See if they act better after some light braking (some suggest shifting into N (to cut out the regenerative braking) and doing a long-gradual brake run to clean the oxidation layer off.

If it continues, you may have something else going on and may need to replace a drum or shoes.

3. JasonWSVT

JasonWSVT New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, there was some serious rain this weekend. I'll try the method you suggested this evening when I leave work. Thanks!