1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brakes overheating?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jlauren92, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Hot brake pads will produce an odor.
    That may be normal.

Grinding noise, that I would say is not normal.

You may have a unique travel/ road situation.
    As mention, watch your speed.
    Don't ride your brakes, I'd could say to "stab" them.

Is this on warranty, if so the grinding noise could be a covered inspection, but will be hard to emulate in the shop as again you may have a unique road situation.

Many have noted the pad retainer pins need lubrication regularly (like every 30K mileage) and I don't believe that is a warranty repair, but a maybe wrong.

What I would do.
    1) Make sure I have OEM brake pads to start.
    2) Make sure the pads are retracting from the rotor and not dragging.
    3) Re-lube the pins.
    4) Ensure the rotors are true.
    5) Upgrade to a "racing brake" fluid with higher dry and wet specifications with a proper fluid flush.
    6) Lastly it is possible to sand some pad material off, using a machinist flat surface, "blueprint" the pads, and also chemically clean (or even turn) the rotors of any pad material build up and then do a proper brake pad bedding procedure.

The grinding noise I can't make a good comment about other than the heat is expanding the pads and rotors creating an unlevel contact condition. This could be an intermittent noise. The problem really may be something as simple as you are riding your brakes.

Good hunting.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah this would be done at Toyota USA mandated maintenance at 30k, which is due.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  3. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well those are all questions. And save for "Ice condition's and Wild Horse crossing light's that will flash (sometimes) I can's say there are a lot of "Waring Signage?"

Up and down the grade usually the concrete barrier in the middle and armco on the outside makes the point. The downhill side into Carson City (16 miles away) is a bit curvier so they went with Concrete as a divider on the inside and Concrete on the outside, and aside from Dayton Valley Hill, this section of Hwy 50 is about 60 miles of straight road. Two lanes in both directions for most of it. And no separate speed limit for trucks, Big Rig's.
    But the Big Rig's can't get up that hill at the posted speed, limit.

And I would put there speed up the hill at 20 mph or lower?? But it goes from 4300 ft to 5000 ft in one mile(ish). But hey I'll go out and check the detail's?? And report back. :)

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The rule of thumb is that you don't go DOWN the hill faster than you are able to go UP it.
    Will your Prius go UP that hill at 55 without sounding like it is going to self-destruct ?

All of the evidence so far points to you going down the hill WAY too fast and using WAY too much brake.

FuelMiser likes this.
  5. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nope that is not my car?? I was making a point by way of admittedly, an extreme example, that the brakes on a "Prius," should have zero issues scrubbing off speed from 100+ mph occasionally without issue. And second that a "Prius," pointed downhill can gain a lot of speed unless checked.

Something is wrong with her car?? And dare I say all us "guy's," missed where it started?? But I see it now, so I'll try again. And then I can address your "new challenge's??" :)

6. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK looking back I missed this point the first time??

And dare I say, this points to a lack of "RESPECT," for female customer's and being generous the "Tech," had never seen your issue, before and did not take you seriously??? So starting over, make an appointment and ask to speak to the "Service Manager." Explain to him what has happened and what is going on and you can throw the, "Original Tech," under the Bus if you choose??

With a Non Tool, for a Tech, they will find the issue! Hopefully it is duplicatable?? And if the car is found to have "issues??" They'll fix it and there will be a big Tech meeting at that "Dealership," to make sure "this crap," does not happen again! Crappy service is bad for business. It's in there self interest to do better.

MIkeDr likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe. But it is much more likely that her "technique" has changed from her previous car and now she is "dragging" the brakes somewhat longer.
    Certainly should have it checked out though.

8. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well the Street's of San Francisco can be insane?? I drove there once with a 4 speed car. Climb one of those hill's and right at the top, your stopped on the slope there was a Stop sigh, are you kidding me??

I managed the clutch and the brake ok, got to the freeway and never drove there again. I can imagine going down that hill would have been equally as exciting??? But there would have been no brake issues??

Something is seriously off with the "Brakes," on the OP's car?? And I hope she's OK?? The issues she is describing are off the hook. And if as describe, if any of us drove that car down that hill?? And it did even half of what was described?? If it was not in a shop?? It would be up on Four Jack Stand's till we figured out what was going on???

Brake issues are no joke and certainly no one with a car bought new, she have to deal this?? I hope she find's out what is going on???

Oh and on a lighter note ... the CC downhill?? Yeah you nailed it! 5 mph under is the way to go??? LOL I am a "Show Me," kind of guy. So yesterday I set, the CC for 60 mph and I saw the car go from 60 to 61,62,63,64,65, and to 66 mph, then it time to brake to 45?? So you were right. :)

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are putting WAY too much importance on what you THINK the situation really IS.
    The full and complete story is almost never included in the first description of a problem like this.
    In fact, you do not KNOW that brakes have a problem that is fixable.
    That is an assumption that may or may not be true.

I have tested "engine" braking with the CC engaged before and remember the results.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Editorial exasperation lol:

I’m gonna hit ignore, cus double question marks at the end of almost EVERY sentence are driving me up the wall, lol.

I’ll check back in a week or three.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The way I was taught, you use the extra question mark when it's following a possessive for a plural.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. jlauren92

jlauren92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Just an update.. took the car to the dealership this morning and they of course could find nothing wrong with the brakes/rotors, said it could be "normal". However, they did find that my tires had some excessive wear on the inner edges and suggested that's where the noise is coming from.. I'm still not sure. They recommended a new set of tires with an alignment. I hope it helps, not getting my hopes up too high, though.

13. jlauren92

jlauren92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Also, they did not charge me to look at the car, thankfully!

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That too I’d call normal: the rear wheels, by design, splay out a bit at the bottom, for stability when cornering. Accordingly, the tires tend to wear faster at inner edges.

No idea about your wheels and alignment, but would hold off on their recommendation, if not too late. Just seems a pat “solution” that makes them a nice profit.

#34 Mendel Leisk, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  15. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, my Prius tends to wear the inside edges too, fronts more than rears. Rotating tires regularly will help keep the wear balanced until you need to replace them.

16. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So similar question but totally different???? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I have a 2019 HYL and the left front brake has a sound like brake fluid has dripped on the disk. Anyone have any experience with the 3/36 warranty with a brake issues?