1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes went out!!! 2010 Owners beware!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Michael Mann, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Michael Mann

Michael Mann Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey fellow Pri Owners,

I just wanted to give my recent experience dealing with the ZJB Customer Support Program Warranty reguarding the Brake Booster & Master Cylinder Assembly. Earlier this month my wife was driving our Prius like she routinely does for work and out of nowhere the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and simultaneously the brakes completely went out while she was on the highway with out any warning! Luckily she was able to make a few invasive maneuvers and coast the car to the side of the highway. She was a little shoock up but things could had been a lot worse. We then had the car towed directly to the nearest Toyota Dealer where they did there DTC diagnostics on the car and came back and told me that the Brake Booster & Master Cylinder had failed and that it was being covered under the ZJB Program. Long story short a few days after dropping the car off the service tech calls me back and tells me that they won’t be honoring the support program because they said there was “Contamination” in the brake lines and now they wanted $4,000 to repair the Booster & Master Cylinder! Yikes & Wth?!? I’m so upset with how Toyota has handled this situation as they are the only ones that do the routine maintenance on the vehicle. I have been in contact with the Customer Service hotline and they seem to be of no help as they just keep referring me back to the dealership. My car has been at the dealership for 2 weeks now with no resolution resolved.

Attached Files:

#1 Michael Mann, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Data Daedalus and Grit like this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the brakes go completely out? Or just lose the power assist?

If completely out, that could violate NHTSA's passenger car braking requirements, so she should consider filing a defect report:

NHTSA: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint

If just the power assist / boost failed, then the car still has old-fashioned manual (no power assist) brakes, which will still stop the car. It just takes a lot more pedal pressure, up to 112 pounds (after conversion from metric specs), to stop the car in a much longer allowed distance that we are normally accustomed to.

Don't assume that the car has no brakes just because the normal power assist feel and effectiveness is gone. The driver must know to put their full body weight into the pedal to get the basic manual braking, which by law is supposed to still be there when the power assist system fails. Don't just coast.

#2 fuzzy1, Aug 26, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did they say what it was contaminated with? And can they show you the contamination?

SFO, Slider2732 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's too bad.

What's the ZJB Program?

I don't know, if you're trying to get "Toyota" to cover the cost, then you need the support of the dealership.
    I don't know if you should be disgruntled with Toyota or your independently owned and operated Toyota dealership.

It's a 9 year old vehicle, but if all maintenance has always been done at the dealership, and it's been kept up, I'd be upset to have that type of total failure, be told it was going to be covered under "some" program, then have the rug pulled out from under me.

My question would be what caused the contamination? How bad is the contamination?
    On a 9 year old vehicle I might not expect the brake fluid to be pristine, BUT also I wouldn't expect total failure of the Brake Booster and Master Cylinder.

I know from some experience, that with Toyota Customer Care? If that is whom you are dealing with, that once a determination is made that something is NOT covered by warranty....good luck getting Toyota to reverse that stance.
    But I'd be most unhappy with the dealership that first told you that it was going to be covered, and now has done a 180 and say's it is not.
    Now that they are on record as saying that?
    It would be a battle to get that determination reversed.

At the least, the dealership should of never told you it was a covered repair, until they had confirmed that as the case.
    To tell you that, then call you up and give you a $4000 dollar estimate. That would be frustrating.

If you have kept up with maintenance, and always used the Toyota dealership, I'd think you'd have a case, even with some contamination.
    I know with both my Prius and now my Honda Fit, any maintenance done at the dealership comes with a probably worthless but impressive looking printout that shows all the things they supposedly "checked", and I believe brake fluid and brake fluid levels are one of them.
    So if they have always been responsible with maintenance...even if there is contamination today, I would argue that at least part of that responsibility would be on the service department that has been servicing it all along.

But, if you've skipped maintenance intervals and services? And even if you haven't that's a tough argument to win.

Good Luck.

Montgomery likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As stated above, you're facing a fairly heavy lift in getting your dealership to pony up for this repair.
    I'd get it to a brake place for a second opinion and then become the dealership's social media nightmare.

It's VERY likely that the brake system can be repaired at a franchise place for a little less than $4K, and besides.....if the dealership were completely responsible for the care and maintenance of your car, then they have failed you, and they would be the last people I would want to coerce into fixing stuff like........car brakes.
    Of course they're NOT completely responsible for the care and maintenance of your car- but that's a side issue.

I'm thinking that the NHTSA report will be a waste of time, since it's very unlikely that the brakes failed completely, but hey....it's a data point.

You can DO it.
    Just don't expect lab coats and crime scene tape from dot.gov.

1. Brake shop.
    2. Ditch the car. In your case, 9 years is enough.
    3. Consider another make/model or at a minimum....another dealer.

Good Luck!

6. Michael Mann

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The brakes went completely out. When you push the pedal down they would go straight to the floor without any resistance.

Tim Jones likes this.
  7. Michael Mann

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They claim to have sent a test sample out to the lab to find out what it is but I have not scene what they are talking about nor have they suggested what it is.

8. Michael Mann

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is a little more info on the ZJB.

“In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program to provide coverage for brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies on certain 2010 model year Prius and Prius PHV vehicles, certain 2011-2015 model year Prius vehicles and certain 2012-2015 model year Prius PHV vehicles.

Background:
    Toyota has received reports about certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster assemblies in some of the subject vehicles.

Although the brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first) Toyota is now offering a voluntary Customer Support Program that applies to certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster assemblies.

Customer Support Program Details:
    This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to the brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies. The specific condition covered by this program refers to certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies. In addition to certain internal malfunctions, specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) C1391, C1252, C1256 or C1253 may be stored in the vehicles memory to be used as verification. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with a new brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

2010 Prius and Prius PHV Vehicles – Phase 1
    • The Primary Coverage will be offered until November 30, 2019, regardless of mileage.

• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

2011-2015 Prius Vehicles and 2012-2015 Prius PHV Vehicles – Phase 2
    • The Primary Coverage will be offered until August 31, 2021, regardless of mileage.

• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Covered Vehicles :
    There are approximately 946,100 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program. There are approximately 1,200 vehicles in Puerto Rico involved in this Customer Support Program

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
    Toyota will begin to notify owners in mid-August 2018 and will be mailed over several months. A sample of the owner notification letter has been included for your reference.

Remedy Procedures:
    Technical instructions for this Customer Support Program can be found in T-SB-0079-18 and T-SB-0024-19.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?
    Toyota has received reports about certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster assemblies in some of the subject vehicles. In these reports, customers have noted various brake system related warning lamps are illuminated.

Which brake system warning indicator may be related to these conditions?
    If the following warning lamps are illuminated, the vehicle may be experiencing a concern with the brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies which are covered by this Customer Support Program.

What is Toyota going to do?
    Although the brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), Toyota is now offering a voluntary Customer Support Program that applies to certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies.

Toyota will send an owner notification by first class mail starting in mid-August 2018, advising owners of this Customer Support Program.

If the owner experiences the condition described above, they should contact their local authorized Toyota dealership for diagnosis. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with a new brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies at NO CHARGE to the customer.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by Customer Support Program?
    There are approximately 250,700 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program.

What are the details of this program?
    This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to the brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies. The specific condition covered by this program is for certain internal malfunctions of the brake booster assemblies. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with new brake booster and brake booster pump assemblies under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

2010 Prius and Prius PHV Vehicles – Phase 1
    • The Primary Coverage will be offered until November 30, 2019, regardless of mileage

2011-2015 MY Prius Vehicles and 2012-2015 MY Prius PHV Vehicles – Phase 2
    • The Primary Coverage will be offered until August 31, 2021, regardless of mileage.

This coverage is for work performed at an authorized Toyota dealer only. It is subject to the same terms and conditions set forth in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Section of the Owners Manual. For example, damage from abuse, an accident, theft and/or vandalism is not covered.

Which part(s) are covered by this Customer Support Program?
    The specific components covered by this program are as follows:

• Brake Booster Assembly
    • Brake Booster Pump Assembly

What should an owner do if experiencing this condition?
    If an owner thinks that he/she has experienced the condition described in this Customer Support Program, a local Toyota dealer should be contacted for appropriate diagnosis and repair. If the condition is verified as being in accordance with the terms of the Program, the repair will be performed at NO CHARGE.

What if the dealer performs diagnosis and determines that vehicle is not covered by this Customer Support Program?
    These warning lights can be due to conditions unrelated to the specific condition being covered by this program. These conditions may require diagnosis or repairs not specifically covered by this Customer Support Program. Please be aware that if the condition is not covered by this Program, owners may be responsible for the initial diagnostic fees and any other repairs they may decide to have performed. Any authorized Toyota Dealership can determine if a condition is covered by this Customer Support Program.

What if an owner HAS NOT experienced this condition but would like to have the repair completed?
    This Customer Support Program only applies to vehicles that have exhibited the condition described above. If an owner has not experienced the condition, he/she is asked to apply the notification label to the Owners Manual for future reference.

How long will the repair take?
    The repair takes approximately 6 hours. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

What if I previously paid for repairs related to this Customer Support Program?
    Reimbursement consideration instructions will be provided in the owner letter.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
    If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1- 888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.”

The Electric Me likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Has the brake fluid ever been replaced? Do you know what was used?

FYI ours has been making a noise, off-and-on, just as you come to a stop. I'm aware of the "warranty enhancement", have been in touch with the Service Manager to confirm deadlines.

I actually booked an appointment recently, to get them to test drive, but cancelled, because (wouldn't you know...) the sounds quit, soon after I made the appointment. :confused:

10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It would seem as though Phase-1 of that document clearly covers your car. Odd that they're backing off from that. :cautious:

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That implies a failure/leak in the hydraulics themselves. These sorts of things happen to cars, going back to since cars have existed. It is much rarer today, but still happens.

When you took it to the dealer they got fluid to sample for contamination. That doesn't seem to jive with no fluid for manual hydraulic braking.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't answer the question. Other cases of power assist failure have given similar reports, but the almost-floored pedal still worked in backup non-assist mode.

The question: did she still stomp on the brake pedal REALLY HARD, and hold it down? As in her full body weight, or at least 112 pounds-force (metric 500 newtons)? Power assist systems are known to fail, and NHTSA regulations govern how the underlying manual hydraulic (or other) system must operate in fail-safe backup mode during such boost failures.

Too many drivers, especially those who haven't experienced non-power-assisted brakes, simply don't press hard enough. They freeze up, or assume the brakes have completely failed, and never try again or apply the needed muscle. Driver error.

If your wife DID apply this required muscle, and the brakes still didn't function at all (absent additional failures to the basic non-boost system, such as major hydraulic fluid loss), then this is prima facie evidence of the car model failing this NHTSA regulation. For the future benefit of everyone driving similar vehicles, and the general motoring public, she should file a Vehicle Safety Complaint at the above linked NHTSA site. This user feedback is necessary for the process of weeding out such design defects.

If your wife did NOT apply this required muscle, then some driving refresher is called for.

But this driver response issue is separate from the car maker still needing to address the root cause of this failure. Even if it fully meets that NHTSA requirement, improvements are still needed to make these events more rare.

#13 fuzzy1, Aug 26, 2019
  14. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some guy came in here back while ago said he was the passenger and his wife was driver of the car. In a parking lot, the brakes weren’t responding and their prius plowed through things. He clearly eye balled that the Mrs. had the brakes fully engaged.

The court rewarded them with a Tesla.

15. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2k1Toaster, I had total hydraulic brake failures on 1960s autos as they were single-loop systems, but I know all my autos from the 1980s and later had two independent Systems, most commonly separate loops for the front and rear wheel brakes with separate chambers in the master cylinder. I thought the Prius would certainly have the equivalent of a 2-loop system in that master cylinder and booster system. If that is correct, how is it possible to have simultaneous failure in both braking loops? I’m not seeing how this is possible on a modern automobile.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  16. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Do these codes exist on your vehicle?

Ask for (firmly, or even demand) a copy of the results. But, even if they share the results with you, there is no guarantee that they fluid came from your car. There is no chain of custody for the fluid from your reservoir to the lab.

Local TV investigative reporters love this stuff, particularly when there is near death (failed brakes). Can be very sensational. Cue the dramatic music and the TV reporter with really nice hair speaking seriously. If interviewed, make sure your wife is suitably frantic and upset about the experience.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The usual, most common, and expected way to discover you have an accumulator or actuator problem developing in a Prius is over time, with the pump perhaps running increasingly often, eventually warning lights, and an end stage (if not repaired in time) of a loss of ABS and pressure assist, leaving a brake pedal that is high and hard, and will still slow the car down, but have to be stood on pretty forcefully.

The very different, floored-pedal-no-stoppie kind of failure is not reported nearly so often, but this is not the first report, either. I haven't seen much by way of explanation; my own attempt (keep in mind, this is speculative), is over here.

18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have cute puppies near by also and get them on camera when being interviewed

jb in NE likes this.
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And because these cases are scarce, and apparently remain undiagnosed, it is important that they get reported to NHTSA in order to collect a critical mass of cases and evidence for investigation.

NHTSA: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are scenarios that would make it possible, however none of them are even remotely probable. The most likely scenario that would result in that failure would be human sabotage that was smart enough to have a time delayed failure. That way you don't just run into your garage door, but get out on the highway and do a 1980's style cliff-dive and burst into flames inexplicably while airborne.

What I was getting at, it is very unlikely that the brakes actually failed and more likely that the human in control of them wasn't capable or aware of the force required for manual non-powered non-assisted braking.

Small distinction between possible and probable.

Anytime I drive one of my cars without power assist features I have to remind myself to re-calibrate distances. The Prius may panic stop in a few car lengths. The DeLorean will just leave nice tire marks and keep on sliding to death.

Johnny Cakes likes this.