1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Braking problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eglmainz, Jun 22, 2009.

1. RobertMBecker

RobertMBecker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  2. dammitdex

dammitdex New Member

Model:
    IV
    Re: Would you still have bought a Prius if you knew about brake issues?

If there isn't a solution to this issue which is increasingly coming to light, then no, I will not buy the Prius IV that I was meaning to buy this month.

I love the Prius as well, but this is a dangerous issue, potentially fatal and it seems like a lot of Prius owners are brushing it off as nonsense.

3. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I have had a few issues already.
    A few times when going in reverse and applying the brakes and at times when I apply the brakes when going over a bump, the car would accelerate.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Japanese Government Orders Toyota To Investigate Complaints Over 2010 Prius Breaks

qoute
    : I'm reeeeally reconsidering my 2010 Prius IV purchase that I'm supposed to make this month

just wait a little if you can.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

there are also a lot of people trying to but it into a lot of light...
    your talking about if there is not going to be a solution to this problem.
    do you really thing cars will be sold if problems are not solved that can hurt people.?
    i think thats a strange thing to say.....
    do you really want to buy a prius or just want to talk about not buying one......

did you notice the car really accelerated or did you notice that one wheel lost grip and because of that the prius brake system did what its suposed to do?!
    and it felt like the car did not brake well for just a moment.
    thats normal for any car with abs/vsc etc etc.
    more grip is on the other wheels and more brake power is applyed to those wheels.

6. dammitdex

dammitdex New Member

Model:
    IV

I think you're underestimating this braking issue and you're attempting to generalize it with other common vehicle issues. This isn't a malfunctioning window wiper. This is a serious braking issue that can cause drivers to crash. To answer your question: Yes, if I can avoid buying an auto with known brake failure issues, I'm not going to buy it and I'm pretty sure it's going to have a hard time selling. I don' think that's very strange thing or hard to understand.

Read up on some of the other related brake-failure forums here. I'm no expert with ABS of course, but a lot of owners who are reporting this issue are pretty confident that this is definitely not an ABS-related feature.

7. dammitdex

dammitdex New Member

Model:
    IV
    Re: Japanese Government Orders Toyota To Investigate Complaints Over 2010 Prius Breaks

Thanks. I'm definitely going to hold off for a little bit. I was really excited about buying this fantastic car right away, but I'm just playing it safe and trying not to get myself into a potential nightmare if I can avoid it.

8. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

what about this

-
    Ford F-150 pickups, 2004 to 2006. More than 1.5 million are the subject of an engineering analysis — the second of the three steps that could lead to a recall — because of 225 reports that steering wheel air bags popped out for no apparent reason, injuring 66 people. Two said they were knocked out.

knocked out when driving.....

•Chevrolet Cobalt, 2005 to 2009: Power steering could fail in as many as 905,000 vehicles, leaving them with steering that needs a lot more effort to operate.
    NHTSA says it opened a preliminary evaluation, the lowest-level probe in its three-step process, which can end with a recall, because of 1,132 complaints, including 11 accidents and one injury.

•Ford Escape and nearly identical Mazda Tribute, 2001 to 2004: Mechanics made incorrect repairs, or none at all, to some of the 541,841 vehicles involved in a previous brake-related recall to fix a condition involving faulty anti-lock brake connections that could cause fires.

--
    i did never hear about this did you?
    but now with the prius......

9. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I am glad I bought mine (2010). No problems so far. The looks and gas milage out weigh any recalls if there are any!

10. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  12. dammitdex

dammitdex New Member

Model:
    IV

Hey, thanks for pointing those out. If those are factual, you're right, I didn't hear bout those either. However, these incidents just reinforce exactly what could potentially happen with this braking failure issue. People can get injured if they lose control of the brakes - it doesn't matter if the brand of the car is Toyota, or Ford, Mazda, Chevrolet, etc.

I see a lot of brand defense and a lot of people are quick to defend the Prius, but I can assure you, whatever the brand of the car, if an auto is having serious problems, then it could be dangerous.

Let's not play brand politics and let's focus on the issue.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I bought my 2010 before any mention of complaints about possible braking issues. I have not experienced this with mine even though I have tried to duplicate it from reports from others that have experienced it.

Yes, I would buy it now knowing of the brake complaints. If it is determined that it is truly an issue, I have faith that Toyota will address it and resolve the issue in due time. The multiple benefits of owning this car far outweigh any possible braking issues in my opinion.

Knowing that this possibility may exist, and reading about the "sensation" that one gets when it is experienced, I just make sure that I always have enough stopping distance for most any situation. Which is what I would try to do with or without possible braking issues.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes. I knew about the low-speed regenerative braking release issue. I knew about the other braking issue and how to stop the car in an emergency.

15. Stan Ames

Stan Ames Junior Member

Model:
    V

Would I still buy a Prius, absolutely.

No car is perfect and in light of all the publicity I suspect that there is a heightened interest in any possible Toyota problem.

I have not experienced any problems on my 2010 V to date and if there really is a problem then I suspect Toyota will fix it.

Cars today are a tad more complex then a model T and with multiple suppliers for parts it can be difficult to identify a problem.

Once you can duplicate a problem a solution is relatively easy to create but duplicating a problem is hard.

There are a whole lot of Prius sold and 100 complaints is a very small population.

Stan Ames

16. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

NO!!!!!!!!
    I would have wait for the wagon

17. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

We purchased ours the end of December and the day before we went to the dealer. we saw an article on MSNBC about the 2010 braking issue. We originally thought we would delay purchasing the car but when I went on PruisChat and looked at all the posts, it seemed that the "problem" was just the regenerative braking phenomenon we had experienced on our 2005 Prius and purchaed the car anyway.

I've had one "incident" that was similar to what happened with the 2005 so for us, this is still a non-issue. However, reading all the posts of those that do seem to have more serious issues I am glad this will be investigated further and should there be a definite problem I'm glad it will be addressed and fixed. My wife is the daily driver and this is also the car we have our grandson's car seats in so I want to be sure everything is working like it should.

Bottom line, we knew about the problem but purchased the G3 anyway and thus far, I'm not sorry about our decision. Should my wife or I have a more serious braking issue, I might second guess our original decision.

18. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Absolutely NOT. My wife drives the car and losing the brakes when you hit a bump is not safe. She experiences it daily.

19. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I always love the human spirit..."well, it hasn't happened to me, so screw everyone else!"
    The loyalty is wonderful, but if it is true that Toyota knew about this and did nothing about it, I would be pretty angry.
    Let's just wait and see what happens in the next few days.

I noticed that Toyota (TM) has not been showing up on my financial page. Have they suspended trading?

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Toyota warns of possible brake problems in 2010 Prius

Part of me is wondering if this is a real issue or something quirky about the car. When people mention the quirkiness on the internet, the response they get is, "you should call Toyota Customer Experience." Of course, if they google it they will find something at Consumer Reports which is a bunch of class-action lawyers anyway who want to drum up an outcry so they can swoop in with a class-action lawsuit.