1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Braking problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eglmainz, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

GMC Envoy/Chevrolet Trailblazer

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2001098; Units affected: 1,016
    2002: On certain vehicles, either front lower control arm brackets may fracture, which could result in separation of the front lower control arm from the frame. This could result in loss of vehicle control, and a crash without prior warning. Correction: Dealers will replace the left and right front lower control arm brackets.
    Transport Canada Recall Number: 2003037; Units affected: 28
    2003: On certain vehicles, the driver’s side air bag may not deploy as designed, resulting in reduced capability of the air bag to protect the driver. In addition, the air bag inflator may fracture. If this were to occur, pieces of the inflator could strike and injure the vehicle occupants. Correction: Dealer will inspect, and if necessary, install a new driver’s air bag.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2003098; Units affected: 2,015
    2003: On certain vehicles, the left front brake pipe may have a circumferential score at a random location along the length of the pipe as a result of an incomplete cutting/processing operation. If the brake pipe at the scoring location corroded to the point that the brake pipe wall became very thin, and application of the brake developed enough pressure to partially or fully fracture the brake pipe, brake pedal travel would immediately increase and front brake performance would be reduced. Correction: Dealer will replace the left front brake pipe.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2001098; Units affected: 1,016
    2002: On certain vehicles, either front lower control arm brackets may fracture, which could result in separation of the front lower control arm from the frame. This could result in loss of vehicle control, and a crash without prior warning. Correction: Dealers will replace the left and right front lower control arm brackets.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2003037; Units affected: 28
    2003: On certain vehicles, the driver’s side air bag may not deploy as designed, resulting in reduced capability of the air bag to protect the driver. In addition, the air bag inflator may fracture. If this were to occur, pieces of the inflator could strike and injure the vehicle occupants. Correction: Dealer will inspect, and if necessary, install a new driver’s air bag.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2003098; Units affected: 2,015
    2003: On certain vehicles, the left front brake pipe may have a circumferential score at a random location along the length of the pipe as a result of an incomplete cutting/processing operation. If the brake pipe at the scoring location corroded to the point that the brake pipe wall became very thin, and application of the brake developed enough pressure to partially or fully fracture the brake pipe, brake pedal travel would immediately increase and front brake performance would be reduced. Correction: Dealer will replace the left front brake pipe.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2005031; Units affected: 499
    2005: Certain vehicles do not comply with the requirements of CMVSS 212 – Windshield Mounting. The windshield urethane bead may not have adhered to the body in certain areas during the cure process. As a result, the windshield may not be retained during a vehicle crash. Correction: Dealers will replace the windshield.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2005296; Units affected: 6,487
    2006: Certain vehicles may have been built with a power steering hose that is not to specification. Under extreme steering manoeuvres, such as turning the steering wheel fully to the left or right while braking, the hose may fracture and leak fluid. If this were to occur, power steering assist would be lost and increased steering effort would be required. On vehicles equipped with hydro-boost power brakes, it could also result in loss of power brake assist and increase braking effort would be required. If power steering fluid were to spray onto hot engine parts, an engine compartment fire could occur. Correction: Dealers will inspect the power steering hose(s) for two suspect date codes and replace them if required.

That's just one model (ok two but they're one and the same) and it's only the major stuff! There's another list of minor stuff that's just as long!

1 person likes this.
  2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not all ABS systems are detectable. While I have triggered ABS on my Gen II on several occasions, I have never felt or heard the buzzing or thumping common with older systems.

Tom

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    omg, unintended acceleration :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mind linking to those threads? From all the crap that I have waded through the experience is much mo0r pronounced on the GENIII and in no way could be considered a safety issue on most GenIIs.

5. Spiral

Spiral New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In case Toyota -- or the world -- is watching, I've experienced this problem as well. Whether it poses a significant safety problem is subjective, and depends upon each person's (or company's) stake in the matter. Judging by the anecdotal evidence, it seems the car is not stopping as fast as many people expect during certain situations that occur during normal driving conditions. Depending on the speed, the car can cover many feet in the fraction of a second that braking is lost. If the consensus of consumers (with a vast amount of experience driving many vehicles -- almost all with ABS in the last 10 years) is that this braking behavior is a problem that needs to be rectified -- then it's a problem that needs to be rectified.

I think we, as consumers, should not accept or "get used to" these failures of engineering. I find it disheartening that the media is reporting that only 100 complaints have been filed, when these forums are full of reports. Please go to Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint and file a complaint and make your voice heard. Even if you've gotten "used to it", or you don't think it's a big deal, filing a complaint tells car manufacturers that we expect better quality out of our vehicles.

1 person likes this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Rattles aren't limited to economy cars. I'm not sure what his story is on his dealer fixing/not fixing them. He should take it in to get fixed before his 3 year/36K warranty runs out. If his dealer sucks, find one w/a better service department. If they stop, he can stop griping about that aspect. :)

My 02 Maxima had rattles that I had to take in to get fixed at least 2x. My Z had rattles and buzzes that I got fixed but I have more and am way out of warranty (not worth the expense).
    Please post up locations like from Google Maps or even better, Google Street View. Bwilson4web likes collecting such data and it's helpful for him/others to go there to try to repro. They could help Toyota too. :)

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Japanese Government Orders Toyota To Investigate Complaints Over 2010 Prius Breaks

FYI,
    The ECU software of following VIN Prius had been modified since late January production.

0124257 or later (Toyota Tsutsumi #1 production line)
    1157314 or later (Toyota Tsutsumi #2 production line)
    5118118 or later (Toyota Auto Body Fujimatsu production line)

Ken@Japan

2 people like this.
  8. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  9. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    below -20 degrees Celsius

Who would be crazy enough live in place where it below -20C more then a day :boink:

10. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can reproduce the "brake loss" generaly on each bumpy road with speed higher than 25 km/h and with the constant, moderate brake pedal pressure. I never experienced the issue with my regular braking habbits. I usually start to brake little bit harder and easy the pedal after that to make a smooth car stop.

11. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Funny thing.. I heard on the radio this morning that Toyota says there has been "100 complaints about the braking issue" for the 2010 Prius.. really? only 100?

Hopefully they find the problem soon and get a fix so we can all bring our cars in

12. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ice Road Truckers.

13. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You are absolutely WRONG. If I am trying to brake and the brake is not engaging (even if for 1/2 a second), both time and distance to stopping have and did occur. Maybe you have not had this happen, but I can tell you that distance to stopping was longer, if only a few feet and had I wanted to stop at the actual point of occurance, I could not have done so. Most times I am traveling slowly when this occurs and I could not , I repeat not have stopped on the rough road or metal grating that initiate this problem.

14. Southern Yankee

Southern Yankee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll just chime in here. I picked up my blue III on August 31, and now have about 5200 miles on it. I have also experienced this "braking problem" a few times, mostly a low speeds and very soon after starting up the car. I must say the first time it sort of freaked me out.

I just hope there is a simple "software fix" or something.....now I remember why I have NEVER bought a new model or redesign of any car before when it is first introduced, I used to wait until they had all the bugs taken care of, but I just couldn't wait with the Prius, my bad.... :(

15. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, you guys can gripe, can't you. It's happened to me a few times, and I've found that after the first time, it's no big deal. Instinctively, you press the pedal harder, right? Go out and enjoy your cars. You guys talk about these cars like an unwanted son-in-law (yes, that was a nagging mother-in-law bash). Lighten up a little.

16. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can't disagree more. Not about the "griping".... but "no big deal". Are you kidding? When a vehicle design/manufacturing problem involves going and stopping - and not having complete control of same... that IS a big deal. It's not like a rough idle or rattle - this involves safety. Owners must have confidence that their vehicles can be trusted - and not have to remember to compensate for defects.

17. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought the Gen III because it contains the fixes they worked out for the problems with the Gen II. I'm still not sorry I bought my car, I'm still confident that Toyota is working diligently to figure it out and solve the problem.

I'm also aware that this is relatively new technology. Can we really expect to have the latest greatest in regards to function, form, technology, and cost and not be prepared to deal with unintended consequences ( or flaws?)

I think the archives here will prove to be a gold-mine for Toyota and expect they already have. Once something like this becomes publicized, The complaints will escalate and it becomes much harder to figure out which are legitimate and which aren't. There is information here about people who were noticing this problem before it made headlines. If I were Toyota that's where I would start.

Geesh... listen to me. Maybe I should send them my resume, I'm clearly defending them! ;)

18. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, Toyota does deserve to be defended. They make great cars and I think the Prius is a very important car for the advancement of high FE and pushes forward the entire "green" mentality in the Automotive world. It's unfortunate that they've had the recall issues they've dealt with and the braking issue too, but they'll remedy it all I'm sure.

19. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think most people would be happy if Toyota just said we hear you. There are others like you. We don't think it is a life threatening problem and we admit no guilt, but we will look into this and see if it is a problem. If it is a big problem, we will issue a service bulletin and or a recall. Please give us some time to study it. These are some of the compromises in making a hybrid. By the way, please feel free to exchange your ideas with us and other owners at Prius Chat.

Instead, what we get from some posters (not all) are:

1. It does not exist.
    2. It is not a problem.
    3. You got to know your vehicles more.
    4. If you can't reproduce it, we can't fix it.
    5. When, where, how, conditions, - as if you are lying.
    6. It is not a problem with me and my extended family, why are you so uptight.
    7. You are driving dangerously.
    8. Don't panic, cool down.
    9. Your driving skill can be improved.
    10. We are trying to provide facts but you an alarmist.
    11. Name calling ("chicken little"). etc.

While this may provide the posters with momentary fun and a feeling of superiority, it has a long term bad effect. It gets people more upset. And instead of calming them down, it has the exact opposite effect. They become even more vocal to defend the perceived slight.

What's the best way to fight back against someone who just called you "chicken little"? Keep the issue alive by constant posting. So calling people names or insulting them keeps this issue on the forefront.

I am going to wait this one out and see what happens. Everyone knows at this point what it is. Arguing won't help now.

1 person likes this.
  20. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's important to clarify that PriusChat is NOT Toyota.

Correct me if I'm wrong mods but I think PriusChat is a public site, moderated by volunteers, for Prius enthusiast. I do not believe the owner of the site is formally affiliated with Toyota.

I do think however that Toyota is aware of PriusChat and takes advantage of the concentration of Prius owner/fans to announce things here or there and get a sense of how people are responding to things.

Your points are well stated and I agree. Some of the original complaints were met with those very things. I also think it's important to remember that they were responded to from other Prius owners, not Toyota.