1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BRAND NEW PIP owner (2 days)--advice, plz

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by G. G., Nov 18, 2012.

1. G. G.

G. G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello, all!
    I am a brand new PIP owner--picked up my 2012 dream car this past Friday after work.
    This is my second Prius, but my first plug-in.
    I am very confused as to how I should drive my car to work, and get great gas mileage. Perhaps if I share a few facts w/ you, you can give me some advice. THanks,

I live in upstate NY, close to the Canadian border. It gets VERY cold here in the winters. My commute to work is 27 miles one way. The roads are fairly flat--not large hills or mountains--two-lane, 55 mph thru farm country and two small towns--30mph. That's about it.
    What would your advice be? Start out in HV,switch to EV/Eco a few miles down the road?????? Save the EV until the last part of the trip???? Right now since it IS getting cold at nights, my EV charge is aprox. 11.6 when I leave in the morning. Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS!!!
    GG

JMD likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :) welcome to the pip club! can you charge at work? i would use hv on the highway and go as slow as traffic will allow, and ev in the 30mph areas. how many miles are at 30 and how many at 55?

3. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lol, u da official greeter:D

G. G. likes this.
  4. G. G.

G. G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    THANKS! I look forward to learning a lot here!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    many years of walmarts experience!(y)

G. G. likes this.
  6. eric smith

eric smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try to use the EV miles during the slowest part of your commute. This is my first Prius and it has taken about a month to figure out my route. I drive 32 miles one way and I am averaging MPG's in the 70's. You will not be disappointed!!

G. G. likes this.
  7. G. G.

G. G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, there is not any way, at this point, I can charge at work, but I may do some checking into this. I'd say that 8 or 9 miles are the town's combined. They are not next to each other. The first 8 miles from my house is highway, the first town is about 3 miles, then the rest is highway again, then 5 miles of town, and the rest is highway.
    I was thinking about doing just that, as you suggested. Should I use ECO on the highway too? That mode sorta confuses me....is that good fro crusing along at 55mph?? THanks,
    GG.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    eco really doesn't matter on the highway, it just changes your accelerator pedal response. it will limit heat and a/c tho so you will get somewhat better mpg's. i'm always in eco, some people hate it. depends on how much throttle response you want. you just have to press harder in eco to get the same as power.

9. G. G.

G. G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, that makes sense. I guess on those -10 below mornings, I won't be using ECO! :)
    Do I have have to take any certain precautions w/ the lithuim battery in cold weather?? I am keeping/charging my car in my garage at night--albeit it NOT heated, but at least it's enclosed. (don't have peak and non-peak hours so it doesn't really matter when I charge). In the hot summers, I plan to keep/charge it under a car port I have connected to the garage. I read somewhere that this all will help extended the battery life overall. Any thoughts?
    THanks,
    GG

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the winter, you want to finish charging as close as possible to leaving. this way, you're battery is as warm as possible and the most efficient until the car warms up from the ice and the interior air flows over the battery.
    in summer, not sure what you mean by extending battery life? is the carport cooler than the garage?

G. G. likes this.
  11. G. G.

G. G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, that makes sense about charging in winter. Do I have to set the timer EVERY night, or can I do that once and know that it will come on the same time every night then?
    No, the car port really isn't any cooler..just easier to pull into. The garage is small and now the summer mowers are stored on the side, etc. In the summers, the mowers/etc. get pulled out to where the car gets parked now--just wasier to get to. Thanks,
    GG

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HV is best for cruising, since that is extremely efficient. Running around town and a jaunt on the highway today resulted in a 53 MPG average, without having plugged in.

Short runs with EV are no big deal. If you need heat, just do it. Here in Minnesota, it's cold enough that the decision to fire up the engine is a no brainer.

Remember, you still get the benefit of plug-supplied electricity even when the engine runs.

G. G. likes this.
  13. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Welcome G.G.,
    Where in NY are you?
    I'm in Victor, near Rochester.
    My Hometown is Canton, NY,

As for driving method, just enjoy the drive.
    You can try to use EV or manually switch to HV on different parts of your trip , but document each so that you can compare your one-way MPG.
    Since it's COLD, if you turn on the Heat, the ICE will start and save some battery.

Do everything you can to be able to charge the PIP at work.
    Tell them its only a Quarter a day to charge it.
    Use a 15 amp extension cord if needed.

There is a lot to learn, if you want, and a lot of reading of the threads here which are a Great Resource.

Enjoy it.

14. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree with bisco. Use your EV miles on town roads and HV on 50+ highways. You burn much more EV the higher your speed goes.

Charge at both ends of the journey.

G. G. likes this.
  15. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I live in CA so my weather is a lot more temperate but this is what I do and I think for the most part you can do it as well with good success.
    Set the time for your charge to finish at the same time you leave every morning. This decreases trickle charge loss and your battery might be warm when you leave in the morning. Good or bad, I don't know, but warm in winter = good to me.
    Leave ECO on at all times. Don't worry, you'll still get heat. I've only turned it off a couple of times when I needed power to make a pass, otherwise, use it maximize your fuel economy.
    Drive your car in EV mode from your home to the freeway. Don't use climate control or the ICE comes on. If it's really cold, then use the seat heaters. Once you enter the freeway, switch to HV and turn up the heat all the way. When speeds drop to below 42 switch to EV and turn off climate control. Leave the vents open so your windows don't get fogged up. Also because the ICE is still warm, you'll get some residual heat coming in while you drive in EV mode.
    Switch back and forth as speed goes up and down. EV for slow speeds and HV for high speeds.

And if you're real lazy like I am some mornings, just drive the car and don't press any buttons. Obviously, leave ECO on. This is what I do in the morning. I get a blanket to cover my legs while I use up the EV without heat. Once I run out of EV miles and the ICE turns off, I use heat. I get about 75 mpg driving 53 miles to work this way versus 80 mpg switching back and forth as above. It goes to show you that Toyota already optmized the car for best fuel economy with very little driver intervention.

16. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can choose either a 'start' or 'finish' time using the auto feature. If you leave at about the same time each day, I suggest the finish setting, as it will be done charging shortly before you leave, as suggested by bisco. You simply push the timer button on the dash and plug in, it will do the rest.

G. G. likes this.
  17. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We really need to start a local PiP chapter, many PiP owners in Central/Upstate NY!

18. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same for me. People kept trying to talk me into Audi, BMW, or Lexus GS. YEA RIGHT

G. G. likes this.
  19. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The engine will start when the heater comes on, as mmmodem pointed out. I upstate NY, you probably can't start out without the heater. Once the engine warms up (1-2 minutes), the engine can shut off and you can use EV mode, until the engine cools down and needs to warm itself up again.

What the car can also do (and it will do, by default) is start in EV mode, start the engine only for warmth, shut off the engine and continue in EV mode, as long as the EV battery lasts.

To maximize mileage, it helps to use the Hybrid System Display:
    [​IMG]
    If you're applying gas and the MPG gauge indicates 100 MPG, it means the gas engine (ICE) is off.
    If you're braking, look at the left edge of the Hybrid System Display (HSD), if its safe to do so. If you're coasting or gently braking, this indicator fills to show you how much regenerative braking (battery recharging) is occurring. If it fills completely, though, then the friction brakes are being applied, which you should avoid unless necessary.

When you accelerate in HV mode, the left half of the HSI will fill to indicate that you're accelerating under battery power. If you accelerate a little harder, the HSI will pass the center line and the ICE will start. If the ICE starts and you accelerate within the large, left-side "ECO" zone of the HSI, you're maximizing efficiency. If you accelerate and the right-most PWR edge of the HSI illuminates, then you aren't maximizing economy and if you drive around all the time like this please don't complain about your terrible gas mileage.

G. G. likes this.
  20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The other thing you'll notice is- due to the cold weather your EV miles estimate (from a full recharge) will drop as compared with what it was in warm weather. I got my PIP on Oct 10th- for all October my EV estimate hung around 12 to 11.8 miles, now that we've had mornings below freezing and cold temps during the day- my EV miles estimate is down to it's lowest ever of 10.6mi.