1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brand New Prius Check Engine light No Inspection Sticker

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by androcci, May 3, 2021.

1. androcci

androcci New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Hello, I am hoping someone can give me an insight.

I bought a 2020 Toyota Prius LE AWD-e in upstate NY, Live in NJ. The vehicle is 6 to 7 months old and it was a trade in. Literally brand new, it didn't have the manufacturer inspection sticker. Do New York make dealerships take off the manufacturer inspection sticker when it is sold to the dealership? I see all of them on their website have no inspection sticker even if they are a month old.

2 days later I got Check Engine light with a warning message saying the following;

"A malfunction in the electronic control of the engine, throttle, or automatic transmission has been detected. Contact your Toyota dealer to have your vehicle inspected."

At this point I have 28 days to get it registered and inspected. How will I get it to pass? Will the Toyota dealership honor the warranty with no added cost? even though they didn't sell me the vehicle? Will that make me fail the inspection?

Any thoughts anybody has any idea on what to do first? or how to go about solving this problem? I live in New Jersey. Thank you! :)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles?

this is near-new, low miles (presumably) car; no reason it shouldn’t be a warranty issue.

what’s this “inspection sticker”, a New York State thing? Or the Monroney sticker?

With the lights there will be codes, hopefully will make for a clear cut diagnosis. (y)

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Take the car to any Toyota dealer in the U.S. for repairs at no charge.

On a new car with low mileage, unless one of the other warranty exclusions applies, anything that makes the Check Engine light (“malfunction indicator lamp”) turn on should be covered under the Federal and California Emission Performance Warranties, described on pages 17, 21, 24, and 27 of the Warranty & Maintenance Guide (PDF). The California warranty also applies in New Jersey and certain other states.
    Yes. This is almost never an issue, since Toyota reimburses dealers for warranty parts and labor for any vehicle with valid warranty coverage, which dealers can confirm online with Toyota’s computer systems.

In the Toyota Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual, Policy 5.6 states, in part: “When a vehicle owner requires New Vehicle Limited Warranty work to be performed at a dealer other than the dealer where the vehicle was purchased, the customer (a ‘visiting owner’) should be handled as though they were a regular customer. [ . . . ] Dealers that charge visiting owners for warrantable repairs are in violation of Federal Law and their Toyota dealer agreement.”

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is the gas cap on tight:whistle:?

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point, @Raytheeagle. I don't remember the exact message when you don't get the gas cap clicked shut, but I remember that the message seems to have nothing at all to do with the gas cap itself.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. androcci

androcci New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e

It has 6,400 miles. Does that count as low mileage car?
    Car fax showed got registered on November of 2020. I think is near new but someone can have a different point of view as to what constitutes near-new.

The car factory inspection sticker is good for 5 years and it comes with all new vehicles in New Jesey and some used. I am not sure how does the 2nd hand vehicles inspection stickers are handled in NY state.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    There is no manufacturer inspection sticker. Every state has a different inspection sticker so nothing would come from Toyota.

Register the car as normal. Drive to the official inspection station (not the shops that do the inspections for money) and show them the registration. They will then go to your car and place the sticker on your car. You don't even have to make the line behind the cars that's actually get inspected

This is the procedure for any out of state cars that are withing 5 years of manufacture date. I live in NJ and have done it with several cars. More recent was a USED 2018 Jeep got last year. We bought the car in Ohio. We registered the car, got the plates, and picked up the sticker from the inspection facility. No charge, no physical inspection. They just made sure the registration was in order and they themselves put the sticker on the windshield

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Manufacture dealers (not used mom and pop shops) have those stickers and put them on themselves. When I bought my prius (here in NJ), they put the inspection sticker on my car after I signed all the papers and right before I drove off.

9. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    As for your check engine light, you still have the warranty with Toyota so just take it to them and it will be fixed at 0 cost to you

pjksr02 likes this.