1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brand new Prius II

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kenith, Jan 31, 2018.

1. kenith

kenith New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How to open the PASSENGER DOOR without taking the key out? I just found out a Prius II won't do that.

I would like ALL of the doors to open from the passenger side (that's the side that faces the way I enter my car port and where I stow my purse) without taking the key out of my purse. I thought I understood how to make that change using the key, but it didn't work.

My phone just rang -- it was my dealer asking me if everything was okay. He tells me that the Prius II won't allow the setting to be changed to open the door on the passenger side first. I'm leaving the post in case another 2018 Prius II owner has the same question.

RCO and Burna J like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to Prius Chat. I understand your problem but unsure how to resolve it for you. UK models are different from American, so I'll ask @Prodigyplace and our Canadian Moderator @Tideland Prius to see if they can help you. Good luck.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your Prius 2, like mine, only has the SKS sensor for the drivers door. I have set mine to unlock all doors when I use it because I frequently put things on the back seat.
    When I am going to open the rear hatch, I quickly unlock the doors first. Otherwise the button will not let you open it.
    I wanted a car with a spare tire and I thought the price difference between a 2 and a 3 was not worth it to gain 3 door SKS.

RCO likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

unfortunately, correct. you could add the 3 door system, but it is a ton of work, even for the advanced electronics diy'er.

a poor workaround is to set the drivers door to unlock all doors, touch the drivers door first, then walk around to the now unlocked passenger door.
    all the best!(y)

Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the passenger side, you can't because the Two only has the smart key system on the driver's side. You can change the setting to unlock all doors from the driver's side (default is driver's side only) but you cannot open any of the other doors without pressing the UNLOCK button on the fob first or touch the driver's side handle (once you've changed the settings).

RCO likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I really wish Toyota would adopt the 3 door smart touch on ALL levels. You get more bees with honey.

(I see Toyota Canada's similar: base level is driver's door smart touch only.)

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, base levels, as with all products tend to have fewer balloons, bells and whistles.

#8 RCO, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Prodigyplace and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but that would raise the base price and the base price is usually the most sensitive to price increases. (When we asked about the $500 price difference between the Two and Two Eco, Toyota told us that it actually did matter even if *we* could spring for the extra $500, there are people that won't or can't so they have to consider the pricing structure carefully).

On something like the Camry, it's a bit easier. You can see that Toyota Canada introduced the new Camry L trim level to sit below the LE (The US has had the L trim level for one generation now). The volume seller is the LE with the Upgrade Package (In the US, I think the SE is the volume seller). That being said, I've seen a number of XSEs here. The LEs I've seen were all rental cars.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.