1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brandnew 2015 Prius making noise when gas engine shuts off at a complete stop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JayK, Oct 17, 2015.

1. JayK

JayK New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought a new 2015 prius a few days ago. After a couple of days of driving it around, I noticed this clunking noise that lasts about 2 seconds while the car's shutting off its gas engine when the vehicle is at a complete stop. It happens more frequently a few minutes after I started driving the car. When the car is coming to a stop and the 'EV' light is not on yet (only 'ECO' light is on), after the vehicle's made a complete stop, I start to hear this clunking noise (it almost sounds like the noise you hear when you press down your emergency break). After this noise, I feel the vibration and hear that the gas engine's shut off. I talked to the dealership and they hopped in to hear that noise, and as always, it didn't happen. But as soon as I left the dealership, I hear it again. the car is normal when 'EV' light is on when its coming to a stop (no abnormal noise), but its only when the gas engine shuts off after the car has made a complete stop. And the noise is even louder when the vehicle is on a slope, either uphill or downhill. Any ideas? Is this considered normal? It's quite annoying and I wanted to see if there's a way to get rid of this.
    I uploaded the video file please help me.. the noise may not be as clear on the video, so you may need to make it louder.. it starts from 2 s to 7 s.

#1 JayK, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! yes, the motor has to move the engine to the correct start up position if it doesn't stop there. completely normal. all the best with your new pri.(y)

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmm. If mine made such a pronounced noise like that I would start asking ??? , too. Next time when you come to a complete stop, do so in the "B" mode. This will keep the engine (ICE) running when you are stopped. Then place it in "D" . This will make the ICE turn off. See if you get the same response. It sort of sounds like the engine is shutting down a little prematurely. Just a thought.
    Who test drove it when you took it to the dealer... the mechanic?

4. JayK

JayK New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. but I still hear the noise even after driving the car for a while and not just once, but almost every time the gas engine shuts off. It is really loud especially when the car is stopped uphill or downhill, almost sounding like something is stuck under the car and being dragged. If this is normal and i have to hear this all the time, I think it will be very unpleasant..

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well all I can say is I've never noticed a sound that obvious when I drive my Prius.

The other thing you could do is ask to "test drive" a different but identical Prius, and listen to see if it makes the same sound.

348 likes this.
  6. JayK

JayK New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It wasn't a mechanic, it was a customer relations manager and a salesperson... the mechanic didn't get to take a look because he was busy.. Do you think I should take the car to the dealership and have the mechanic take a look? The manager talked to the mechanic and they said it can be normal.. I did try putting the gear in B and changing it to D after a stop, and I hear minimal noise (the end part of the regular noise) but it's still there. I'm planning to take it to the dealership again. Can I quote your opinion and let them know?

#6 JayK, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The most effective way for you to explain the noise, is if you drive the car with the mechanic in the passenger seat. Any sales person would know it if the wheel fell off.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well it really sounds like the engine "hunting" for the correct stop position. The Prius stops the engine at a specific crankshaft angle. If it doesn't do it on the first try it will "bump" it until it does. It may be the HSD is still "learning" how to do that properly. Give it a few more days, then if it persists, take it back so they can hear it happen. It is possible there is a marginal sensor in there.

9. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    show them your video, it's pretty explicit.

11. JayK

JayK New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's been just over a week and I have put about a 1000 miles on it and still, I hear it almost every time. (I drove it like crazy..) I sometimes hear it when it's EV mode at a uphill stop. Should it take this long for the HSD to "learn" how to do it properly? It doesn't look like it's getting any better...I'm planning to take the car to the dealership on Monday. What can I tell them?

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Because it's new the friction is changing rapidly, so yes, it -could- take this long. But a more likely explanation is something is out of adjustment or the sensor is weak.
    Tell them the crankshaft positioning system on shutdown is "hunting" a lot. Tell a tech. The service writer won't know what you are talking about.

13. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just to put you at ease, I seriously doubt if there is anything mechanically wrong with the car. As mentioned, it probably has to do with some kind of engine management issue. It's going to take someone with first hand knowledge of the engine management parameters to give you any intelligent answers. Sales and customer relations personnel aren't going to hack it. If it were me, I would set up an appointment to go on a ride-a- lone with the Toyota service representative. He/She can then direct a course of action for the tech. to take. Hang in there and above all, be patient.