1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Break In Oil Change?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hisport, Aug 10, 2012.

1. hisport

hisport New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Getting ready for delivery of our new '12 Prius, and do I see that the owners manual does not call for the first oil change 'til 10K miles?

I'm definitely not comfortable with this. Did a forum search, and found discussions of long term interval, but not break in. I'm OK with 10k miles (or 12 months; whichever occurs first) after break in.

Any reason not to do an oil (0 - 20 syn + filter) at, say 500 - 1,00 miles?

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Go ahead if it makes you happy. But, 5,000 miles would be a better service point. The 500 mile service is something we did 50 years ago.

3. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's completely unnecessary and a waste of oil and money, but do it if it floats your boat. There are a bunch of identical threads on this forum for further reading...

4. hisport

hisport New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK; I did a little homework. Seems the consensus is to do first change at ~3K miles or 3 months

As an engineer, I feel this is an OK compromise. BTW, my original question had to do with factors such as whether the original fill had high moly content (ala' Honda), or whether the engine had a first fill run in on an engine plant load dyno (ala some Mercedes, BMW).

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's two schools of thought on this subject:
    1. You have to swap out the OEM oil at 500.0001 miles to get rid of all of the FOD that's zinging around in your engine from the manufacturing process....or you'll wreck your motor.
    2. OEM oil has all kinds of 'special' ingredients in it that 'help' the motor 'break in' and if you change out the OEM oil ONE MILE before the first recommended service interval.....you'll wreck your motor.

Wanna know a little secret???
    It simply doesn't matter.
    Statistically....some people religiously adhere to both policies...if you'll pardon the mention of the "R" word.
    Super Anal people ALWAYS go early on the first oil change. Car rental companies and fleet maintenance people always go by their procedures.....which are the OEM specs......sometimes. (My company does 5K)
    And......there are the majority of the folks that are somewhere in between these two extremes.
    And.....you know what?
    MOST cars probably go somewhere close to 200,000 miles in a normal service life...that's somewhere around 320,000 clicks if you live in one of the more "progressive" metric countries....and usually cars go into the automotive afterlife with their original engine installed and functional. Most cars today get junked as a result of ancillary components going Tango-Uniform that make the car uneconomical to continue to repair.

I know that this is apostasy to the lubricologists in the room.....but it's just not that big a deal.
    Modern engines are manufactured to tolerances and by processes that eliminate large chunks of metal cruising around in the lubrication system and guess what???
    They put oil filters on them. ;)

Motors are usually pre-run before they're mated to their host car for the first time, and bearings and similar parts require much less break-in than they did when cars weighed 6,000# and had big fins on them, which is why some vehicles leave the factory with full synthetic oil in the pan.
    Most of an automobile's break in is for non-ICE components (especially brakes) that do require a little run-in time before you go tipping over orange cones in parking lot competitions or participating in the hundreds of Prius drag racing "run what you brung" events.

Me???
    I usually go early on my first oil change just to make sure that there are no assembly irregularities, and to see how hard it's going to be to get the factory oil filter off. Interestingly enough...the FACTORY filter always comes off quite easily, because they have torque specs. I NEVER let a dealer touch a car (or M/C) that I have to drive if at all possible because they obviously do NOT. Stories abound in this very forum about dealer oil changes.
    I also go 5K between changes. (closer to 4 on non-Dexos-1 or Toyota mills) and I'm not going to be dissuaded by eco-geeks that say I change my oil too often, or by "experts" that say that I'm not changing it often enough... :)

Because????
    See above: It simply doesn't matter (provided that you do change it, that is....)

AS ALWAYS....
    YMMV!

6. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got the first oil change at ~ 1 year & 6K miles. (I have a short commute.) The dealer is still operating on the 5K, 6 months model. The car's computer also started nagging me at 5K, so I disabled it.

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both "schools of thought" are myths that had some truth in the past but not anymore.
    #1 is incorrect as there are negligible amounts of "debris" in modern engines after break-in.
    #2 is incorrect as no special oil is used.

The real reason oil shouldn't be changed too soon is to decrease engine wear under breaking-in. Used oil produces less friction and wear compared to new oil.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, there is no consensus on that, but rather strong emotions.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You SHOULD do a "break in" oil change at 10,000 miles, using synthetic 0-w20 oil.

10. camry25

camry25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It its 1 year oil change its usually synthetic which means you can run it 1 year.I would go by time. If you drive lots during that time you can shorten it but extra-good care is simply to extend the life for the 2nd owner, if you plan to sell it, even if its after 20 years.