1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Break in oil change.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FishHawk, Dec 9, 2010.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

I'm planning on changing my oil after the 600 mile break in period . Have any of you done this or you just had your first oil change at 10K? FishHawk

2. navy48

navy48 LBII (Lil Blue II)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    haven't read my manual entirely, but I would think if Toyota recommends 10K oil change intervals, they must have synthetic oil in them. if that is the case, I'm good with the 10K. after all, you're not using the engine for ALL of those 10K miles anyway. :)

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I did it a 1K. I think it's the most important oil change one can do but that's just my opinion. I'll let Toyota pick up the next two.

1 person likes this.
  4. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    changed @ 2.1k miles here. have 13k miles now, car is running very nicely (peaked at 60mpg this summer, down to 51mpg due to winter).

5. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If Toyota wanted you to change the oil before the 10K mile mark, they would tell you to. You're just wasting money and possibly damaging your engine by changing it really early like 1K miles or less.

Why? Because there could be "break-in" additives that are meant to stay in the engine until 10K. If Toyota engineers say the first oil change is due at 10K, then it's due at 10K. You're just wasting your money and hurting the environment by changing it early. Prove me wrong by producing a used oil analysis showing otherwise.

Not trying to be a troll, just trying to be devils advocate ;-)

6. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We're all just beating a dead horse here. I just responded to the poster since he asked.

As to why I do it early, I reminded myself that the 2010 Prius didn't always have 10k oil changes. It was initially supposed to have 5k oil changes. Who knows if Toyota felt it too complicated for the consumer to tell them "initially do a 5k oil change, then you can do a 10k oil change thereon" - that would have been confusing, don't you think? Anyways, thats one reason why I decided to do it early @ 2k, as I would any other car.

Also I am concerned that in the manufacturing process, I might accidentally get a Prius that has a few more solids/metal left in the engine than the other Priuses in the assembly line, so no addition of break-in oil or additives will fix such a problem. So in my mind, changing it early is just insurance against that. But yes, I am sure that my example is an exceptional case, but I always like to play it safe, I hate bringing cars to dealers for servicing, even if it is their/Toyota's fault.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Neither you nor I know what Toyota powertrain engineers believe is the best time for the first oil change. All we have is the Toyota corporate recommendation that has a lot of input other than powertrain engineering.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahhhh....the Great Oil Debate.
    I don't have any skin in the game for Priuses, since "Big Phone" is covering the oil changes in "my" Prius...but FWIW, I'm getting to be an old fart now. I've found that the truth (if it can be determined) is usually in the middle somewhere.
    I've read looooooong articles saying that you'll ruin your engine if you change the oil early, and also heard from equally passionate debaters that say you'll kill your motor if you leave the 'factory' oil in for longer than the break-in period.
    This battle is especially nasty in the motorcycle forums.

Since there are fierce contenders on both sides of this argument, I believe that both approaches are being adhered to.
    Since I know that GM, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, and Toyota (to name the brands that I currently drive) don't stock shelves full of replacement motors for their vehicles in their service departments, this tells me that it reeeeally doesn't make much of a difference which trench you're fighting from in this battle.

I usually replace the oil in my vehicles after the break-in period. This allows me a looky-see under the hood, (actually beneath the vehicle) and a chance to 'discover' what interesting challenges await me in the role of home mechanic.
    Does this help the engine or hurt it?

Since I usually get lunar mileage out of a motor (except for the motorcycles) I really don't care, but that's how I roll. If you always DO what you always DID...you'll always GET what you always GOT....right?

We now return you to our previously scheduled debate already in progress.... :D

1 person likes this.
  9. tinaprius

tinaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bought my 2010 Prius last Saturday and the dealer said every 5,000 miles for my oil change.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It used to be every 5,000 miles for the US and Canadian market, but for the 2010/gen3 Prius it has now been extended to every 10,000 miles. This is because this Prius must use special 0w20 oil which is expensive but offer superior protection and running qualities.

11. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If I might ask where and what additives are added to the Toyota oil and can you please give us a link to your findings, all so a link on the damage that non dino oil would do to environment would be nice

12. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I went to about 1500 before the first change...now I just change it when it's divisible by 10,000.

13. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My dealer insisted on 2k and then 10k or 6 months and my answer was "but they say 10k" their answer was "ok we'll do it free but we do want it done" and I saw the filter and guess what , they were right all kinds of junk in the filter.

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Big no!

On the contrary, many experts don't recommended doing the first oil change until the recommended interval. It could wash the assembly lube and you also don't want to all of a sudden change the oil condition before your engine is fully broken in (at least 3,000 miles). This would mess up the engine clearances before you break in the engine.

They also don't recommend synthetic oil for the first fill but since that's what is filled in the factory, it's a moot point now.

15. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  16. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Simple - used to be 5K when I bought my car and then changed it to 10K. Breakin used to be the mysterious 1000 miles. I opted for 2K miles for first oil change based on people that had done analysis of the oil in the past etc. I am onto the recommended intervals now. Also I will ditch my first transaxle fluid at 15-20K.

17. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have posted my info in a few threads regarding this topic. I replaced the oild at 1,000 miles then again at 5,000.

18. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Careful, you'll stir up the hornets! :deadhorse:

19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awww Crap.
    Here we go....

1 person likes this.
  20. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

Spoke to the dealer they recommended that I not change the oil at 600miles but wait until 10K miles. I am scheduled to bring in the car at 5000miles for tire rotation then I ask them again if they should change the oil or wait until 10k . FishHawk