1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Break-in Restrictions -- first Oil Change -- Subaru Outback

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In 13 days I have about 225 miles on my new Subaru Outback.

Been following the normal break-in schedule that I have always followed for new cars. Vary speeds, try not to exceed 50 mph, avoid hard breaking and hard acceleration -- all for the first 1,000 miles.

I usually like to change oil at 1,000 miles and install a Fumoto oil drain valve at the same time.

Does all this still seem "right?"

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds about right;).

Similar to what Lexus said for the RX450h we broke in 2 years ago. We kept it under 60 mph and varied speed for the first 500 IIRC:).

I’ll let you know what the prime break in recommendations are Sunday(y).

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Getting a new ride, are you!!! Congrats!!!!

I swear, I thought there was something in the owner's manual about break-in, but, now I can't find it and I am reluctant to call the dealer...you know...n
    A couple of online Subaru places had statements saying break-in is old-fashioned and not needed, but rather err on side of caution....

Of course, I am still not convinced synthetic oil is not a scam....:eek::eek:

BTW, you say "Bay Area." I (mis)spent some of the more formative years of my youth in The City when I was not back up on the North Coast, either attending Humboldt State University attempting to complete my degree in fisheries or working on a commune. Oh, the stories from those days....

#3 Stevewoods, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When we bought our 2010 brand new in August of 2009 the dealer told us to “just drive it” and that whole break in period was a thing of the past.

Having just crested 200k miles at nearly 10 years, following that advice doesn’t seem horrible. All we have is a slight oil consumption (a quart every 5-6 k miles). What I should have done that I did differently on our RX450h and will do on the Prime:
    • Early engine oil change
    • Early Trans oil drain and fill
    Other than that, I will try to stay under 60 mph and vary my speed as much as possible. I rack 400 miles in a week, so it won’t take long to get through this period.

Good luck with the subie (y).

5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We are in Fairfield, home of Jelly Belly and Travis Air Force Base, 1/2 hour from the heart of Napa, 1 hour from downtown San Francisco (when traffic is light), 45 minutes from Sacramento and 2.5 hours from Tahoe :).

It’s a great place to live and plenty of things to do year round ;).

Last weekend (maybe 2) they had an air show at the base (free to the public) and was packed with various aviation wonders. Here’s an odd ball and one of 5 ever built:

5E99ADD7-31B4-492A-970F-D4822C1EE428.jpeg

It’s called a Guppy:LOL::ROFLMAO:.

My son is a Cub Scout and one of the parents there flies a KC-10. He gave the pack a unique opportunity to try out the flight simulator. My 8 year old went right for the co pilot seat and had a great time “flying” to Hawaii in the fog at night:).

So we’ve got our own stories to share(y).