1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

break light switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sambenjamin, May 3, 2020.

1. Sambenjamin

Sambenjamin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My prius was experiencing trouble going into ready mode sometimes. I came to the conclusion that it was the break light switch because when the break light wouldn't come on, the car would not start. I replaced the break light switch and now it will not start at all. Is there a fuse I should check or something to reset?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you plug in the brake light switch? Did you use an original part and not aftermarket?

If the brake light switch goes bad, it would have a code to let you know it's bad. You don't really have to guess at it.

If the installation of the brake switch is correct, then you probably drained your 12v while installing the brake switch

SFO likes this.
  3. Sambenjamin

Sambenjamin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a fuse for the break light? I cannot seem to locate it

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure if there's a fuse for it. The fuses are located in 2 places, the engine compartment (where you jump start the car) and under the steering wheel.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you plug in the brake light switch? Did you use an original part brake light switch or did you use an aftermarket brake light switch?

6. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wasn't aware that the Prius had a brake light switch.

I've owned Nissans with the brake pedal that pushes against a button-switch to close a circuit for the brake lamp. This button switch has a rubber o-ring in between it and the pedal, and it gets brittle with age. When that rubber fails your brake lights come on and stay on until the battery is drained. In the Nissan at least, a 'always on' brake light is the indicator that your rubber o-ring has broken apart and it's no longer separating the button and the brake pedal

Anyway, I'm sorry to get off topic. This is the first thread I've ever read about the Prius having brake light switch

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's the same button switch as your Nissan

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you already checked the voltage at the 12v jump points under the hood, sometimes the battery can be run down during a repair.

If the vehicle doesn't start there could be codes (DTCs) stored in the ECUs, some prefer using an OBD2 scanner to read the codes before attempting to diagnose or repair. Many auto parts stores can scan you car for free, even if the offered OBD2 scanner isn't hybrid compatible.

Have you ever experienced any dashboard 'blackout' issues, or various warning lights appearing on the dash?