1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. armuwaffaque

armuwaffaque Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hellow all
    I had my front break pads changed today and they said that there's room for only one break shim (out of four per side which my car had with the old break pads) and tht they can put only one per side.......so did they.....and further i was told tht it can be installed later after the pads become thin.....there ws no squeal or vibrations on breaking when i drove bq home....is it ok to drive without shims?.......does it have anything to do with overheating and catching up fire or so.....or else any other hazards?....
    Thank you

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it sounds like you need to take it to a qualified toyota mechanic or dealer.

why would you replace the pads on a 2014? how many miles/km on her?

armuwaffaque likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sounds like they are not using OEM brake pads or a good quality compatible brake pads. Are they using a brake pad that is not indicated for the Prius but fit?

armuwaffaque likes this.
  4. armuwaffaque

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ....but i was told tht it fits prius.....what about the shims?...any idea....

5. armuwaffaque

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ony 27 ks and the break pads are so gone....

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is ks measurement? sounds to me like you have a problem in the braking system, if your pads are worn that soon.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    People (mechanics included) can say anything. The question becomes, is what they are saying true?
    Did they tell you the brake pads and shims are OEM?
    Did they show you the packaging?
    Is the packaging clearly marked as Toyota and with the correct Toyota part number for your Prius, the 2014?
    If the packaging was Toyota's, there is a small possibility that it might be counterfeit.​

Who performed this brake job on your Prius? I sincerely doubt it was the Toyota dealer.
    Get to the only Toyota dealer on your island.
    • Address: 337 Negombo Road, Wattala, Western
    • Phone: 011 2 939000

27 ks? Did you mean 27,000km (27K km)? 27,000km~16,777miles

Why would your brakes need to be changed? If we are talking about the 2014 Prius (as indicated in your profile), something is wrong. Either the braking system, or the mechanics; IMO, likely the mechanics. 27K km is too short. Original owner of a 2007 Prius, still on the original brake components (front pads/rotors, rear shoes/drum), at 156,000miles ~251,058km, 9 years old. Your Prius is 3 years old w/ essentially ZERO miles/km for brake usage.