1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Breakfast at Tim Hortons

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by qbee42, Jun 21, 2009.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For our Canadian friends, today I had my first experience eating at Timmy's. The coffee was good, but I wasn't impressed with the doughnuts. If doughnuts were bread, Tim Horton doughnuts would be Wonder Bread - that white, tasteless, fluffy stuff sold as bread and popular with childern that know no better.

In all fairness to Timmy's, I feel the same way about Dunkin' Donuts. They make the same sort of tasteless, textureless products. Neither chain will give our local bakery any trouble. ;)

Tom

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doughnuts for breakfast? interesting haha... I thought you were gonna comment on the breakfast sandwich (which is a heart clogger btw).

I prefer the chocolate danish.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Eating" and Timmies really shouldn't be in the same sentence. Their chilli is ok, unless there is something extra in it:

Calgary man complains of insect in Tim Hortons chili

Quite frankly, I don't see the fascination with Timmies: they are crowded, noisy, and I'll be damned if I have to wait in line +10 mins for a cup of mud

4. bevspark

bevspark Toyota, Major Sponsors of The

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope this isn't going to be another franchise that comes to Australia. We end up with all the junk food outlets here.:sick::ban:

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's all downhill to where you live. It's only natural that they settle down under.

Tom

6. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I should buy one and introduce it down here, and become rich. HaHa!

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How can you not love Tim Horton's? Next you'll tell me you don't love Hockey!

8. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had never heard of Tim Hortons before this thread. Hockey is OK. Not real big here. Aussie Rules Football is my thing.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They screwed up big time. Bugs are supposed to be ground up before being introduced into food, so their texture is not recognizable.

I generally try to avoid chain restaurants. Locally-owned, independent restaurants are better, and family-run, where the cook and the waiters are all one family, are best, because they are more likely to care about their customers.

But it has been said that you never want to look inside the kitchen of your favorite restaurant. (And never return a second time to a restaurant where you gave a stingy tip.)

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, I felt bad about this, Tim being a hockey player and all. I really wanted to like Timmies, but I just couldn't get myself to enjoy those bland doughnuts.

Tom

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Come to Australia Daniel, don't tip, it isn't required and makes no difference to the service. You tip the waiter by coming back and telling your friends so the waiter keeps his/her job. The bugs normally add themselves to the food right in front of you. Kind of like that style of restaurant where food is prepared at your table, I forget what it's called.

I'm with you Bev, we don't need another tasteless excuse for a restaurant coming here from the North America, we have too many now. Would you like cheese with that?

(I think I recall being asked if I wanted cheese on icecream or was it a doughnut?)
    (Yes I had icecream when it was 20 degrees below freezing outside!)
    (Wayne, I had a ball mate, excuse me taking the piss.)
    (I even ate those tiny hamburgers, White Castle ones, not nice. Again, thanks Wayne, and thanks for the offer of stomach settling tablets before I ate them!)
    (I don't think White Castle would last 10 minutes here.)

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Timmy's isn't from the U.S., it's from Canada (the same country that gave us [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine"].[/ame] (why do Wikipedia links here always name themselves twice?)

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have, or will edit my post to reflect the correct geographic location but the sentiment is still the same. Sorry but I'd rather eat Asian or European cuisine.

14. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  15. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Tom,

The rare times I have a "doughnut" I get their fritters or french curlers. I don't get the fascination either especially the long line-ups at their drive through. Talking about a bunch of gas guzzlers wasting fuel by idling!:(

16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting comment. I couldn't imagine how the place stayed in business, since it was almost empty, then I realized that almost everyone went through the drive-through.

Tom

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doughnuts? Ewww. Ick. That's not food. :)

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I cannot eat in a restaurant without leaving a tip. It just seems barbaric. The difference in tipping culture causes problems for foreigners here. Europeans think it's included in the tab, and so are regarded by our (shamefully underpaid) waiters as skinflints. I tip abroad even when it's not required.

Yuck!!!

When I lived in Mexico a Taco Bell opened in my neighborhood. It lasted a month or two and closed. In Mexico you can buy real tacos on every street corner at night. Nobody is going to eat the plastic ones TB sells.

But we have a lot of fabulous restaurants here. None of them are chains or franchises.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Who the hell eats at Timmie's anyway? I'd rather go next door to Wendy's. I tried a Timmie's egg salad sandwich when they just introduced their sandwiches. It's hard to screw up an egg salad but they did. Plus, careful of their chillis. One bowl has enough sodium to fill your daily intake (about 1,500mg for 9-50 year olds if you read that Globe and Mail article).

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, the Wendy's is actually 10x better. Scary, isn't it?