1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Breaking-in mode "B" Question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GreenPri2009, May 26, 2009.

1. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

ahhhhh

so pulse and glide is only below 40?

above 40 its pulse and regen or pulse and go on min power to maintain the speed?

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes I think so.

I guess so. Some people in the forum talked about "sweet spots" at high speed but I don't remember any details. The highway is usually too dangerous for me to experiment anyways.

3. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thx - i agree. i try to drive smart but i stop at the point i am causing other drivers issues

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can pulse and glide at any speed. At higher speeds, the ICE continues to spin without fuel, so there is more drag (plus, of course, more aerodynamic drag). Some people use the prefix "hyper" when discussing high speed gliding.

Tom

5. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    so at 65 the ice spins so its more draggy than shifting to neutral? so gliding at 65 the slow down is more pronounced?

and in this no fuel still spinning state, there are no arrows on the display? In my gen 1 i have great difficulty getting to a no arrow state

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You really don't want to be in Neutral at high speed. Doing so allows one of the motor-generators to spin without any control of its RPMs. At some point the thing would fly apart. The maximum safe speed for Neutral may be as low as 42 MPH. It's probably higher, but who wants to find out?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me.....

I've exceeded 62mph with <10,000RPM on MG1...and nothing flew apart. I don't want to attempt to exceed 10k rpm as that's apparently, in a Prius II, the limit where "flying apart" begins.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I salute you, sir! Risking life and property in the search for knowledge is the highest purpose of human existence :_>

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, shifting to neutral at 65 still causes the ICE to spin. Remember that the Prius has no clutch - all of the parts stay in contact and keep moving.

As Evan implies, the only way to keep the ICE from spinning at higher speeds is to shift into neutral at a low speed when the ICE is off, then coast down a big hill causing the Prius to accelerate to the higher speed. This is a rather narrow and contrived set of circumstances.

Tom