1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Breaking in Process for the 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by drspielman, Jul 12, 2009.

1. neutronned

neutronned New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had to drive back from Ames IA to Minneapolis MN (200+ miles) right after picking it up with 8-9 miles on it. The salesperson suggested varying speeds a bit, stopping a couple of times and avoiding sudden starts and stops. Basically the same as the manual.

I ran from 60 to 70 MPH on the way home (speed limit 70) and luckily didn't have to make any sudden stops! We drove up to Duluth and back this weekend and put another 300-400 miles on it; same routine.

2. drspielman

drspielman Grand Master Chief

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will try my best to keep it under 70. I pick up my car on 7-25-09.... can't wait.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As for washing, nothing "rough" for the first 30 days.

4. paulemus

paulemus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It used to be with older engines that you didn't want to "score" the cylinder wear top and bottom points by staying at a constant speed; so you varied the speed. Also you wanted to change the oil early to remove any metal filings. But not so much today with newer precision machined engines.

5. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to apply the brakes today while traveling around 15mph to avoid an accident. Mileage is under 200 and I felt sick inside after doing so. I hope/am sure there's no harm or significant reduction of brake life expectancy, however. :eek: