1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BREAKING NEWS! 2010 Prius Photos posted on PriusChat First! Confirmed real!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Oct 15, 2008.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: BREAKING NEWS! 2010 Prius Photos posted on PriusChat First! Real or no?

Except for the long view exterior shot it appears to me as if the photos were shot through a glass which distorted the proportions.

That interior shot seems very accurate from the other spy pics shown a couple of weeks back but the room from the seatback to the steering wheel makes it appear that only a 94 lb rail could sit in the front seat. The proportions are way off just as the front lights are different.

It almost seems like more viral marketing to keep the pot boiling. Off angle shots, chatter, tiny details, more chatter, speculation, more chatter. If one thing is true Toyota is the best auto marketer on the planet. This all seems too staged - but effective, more chatter.

So to take a step back and look at reality. The Gen 3 will be almost exactly the same as the Gen 2 in shape, size, demensions and room. This is perfectly consistent with Toyota's product strategy of 10 yrs on one design and 10 years on one powertrain system. Normally these overlap by 5 yrs. Thus...
    The Gen 2 came out in Oct 2003. It was due for a renewal this month but delayed by the Li-Ion issue. Typically the renewal should have been a maintenance of the 5 door hatch design but with new sheetmetal and new nose and tail. That appears to be what we are seeing. This is perfcetly consistent with all the other Toyota cars.

However at this midpoint in the 10 yr cycle the interior and 'under-the-hood' features get changed. This year was supposed to be the debut of the Li-Ion system with the new 'R' family of engines which are both more powerful and more fuel efficient. Scratch the Li-Ions for the time being but the new engine(s) are ready to go.

Net result: Same exterior design with minor modifications, same utility, more power, better fuel economy ( with more to come ), new 'Prius toys' to be discovered, new interior........same price ( IMO ).

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

who exactly planned this fantom li-ion system? :).

2010 Prius is all new car on all new platform with all new powertrain.

3. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto. I REALLY hate the center console.

But I remember when I first saw the Dash mounted shifter we have now and thought how stupid it was and wondered why they didn't put it where shifters are supposed to be - in the center console. So, maybe they are trying to appeal to people who have never owned a Prius. But I've got to say, I like it where it is just fine. The new cockpit looks claustrophobic.

Fortunately, I usually own cars for 8 to 10 years. There ought to be a lot more choice out there when the time comes to replace my '08.

4. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Taking it down the the most basic form...

The 2010 Insight is a Honda Fit hybrid. It's a $19000 vehicle including a $1500 hybrid option. IOW it's a $17500 gasser 5 door hatchback, which is exactly what the Fit is. Look at a Honda Fit today with the fuel economy of the HCH and there you'll have it.

The 2010 Prius is probably a $24000 vehicle including a $2500 hybrid option. IOW it's a $21500 gasser 5 door hatchback. It will likely get 15-20% better fuel economy than the HCH or Insight with more power, more room and nicer features ( $21500 vs $17500 ).

However the Prius can be stepped up significantly to 'upscale' whereas the Insight probably will not intrude on the HCH sales territory.

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

About 12 - 18 months ago Toyota let on ( indirectly and unofficially ) that the new Prius would not debut 'on schedule' in Oct 2008. It would be delayed some months. It also stated ( indirectly and unofficially ) that more testing was needed on the Li-Ion batteries so these would NOT be included at the debut of the Gen 3 as speculated.

Since then due to the Volt campaign by GM Toyota has indicated that the Li-Ions would be available within the next 12-24 months. My own belief is that both systems will be offered in order to appeal to a wider range of buyers. The NiMH system which is dead solid reliable and very cost effective now will likely be the base technology for all the hybrids well into the next decade. The Li-Ion system when it passes its grades will IMO be the 'upscale' option, including a PHEV option.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd much rather be talking about tech improvements under the hood, but this will have to do for now ...

I don't care to be in-fashion or out-of-fashion, unique or common -- I just like what I like. And I like the exterior more than the G2, which is saying something. The interior depends: I'm glad the huge expanse of cheesy plastic making up the dash has become contoured with what looks like a much better quality plastic, that the MFD is lower, and lines are clean. The 'overall' look of the front dash however is bland. Maybe in person it will feel differently.

As for the center dash with the shifter, I'll join in the chorus and say I wish they had not. But then I won't be buying this model, and I think the emphasis on cup holders is asinine and reeks of SUVism. My old Subaru has a pull out tray with a couple of holes that is more than enough.

Show me a subtle slot for an iPod with MFD control and I'll cheer.

7. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I couldn't have said it better myself. It does look like a pig snout.

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No this vehicle has the pig snout...

[​IMG]

9. mrg

mrg Member

I agree. And I don't see any interior improvements. Where is my wife suppose to put her purse? The console looks shorter. The shifter was out of the way on the Gen 2. That left a convenient place to also place a sack lunch or other items one might want to keep out of the way of others riding in the back seat. Looks to me like they took a step backwards with the interior design.

I wonder, if you will still have to mail order body side molds, to protect from parking lot dings?:confused:

10. Skynight

Skynight New Member

MIDDLESBORO, KY (SE KY, WHERE KY, TN., AND VA. MEE
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I want one!

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it just had to look like another Toyota, why couldn't it have been this one? :cool:

Attached Files:

• T51.jpg
      T51.jpg
      File size:
      73 KB
      Views:
  12. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny, at 2010 Heads-Up Display - PriusChat is that a real "heads-up" display or just the "dashboard" under the binnacle like the current generation?

i'd use the term "heads-up" for a display that projected onto the windshield and put the image right into the view out the "front window."

clarify?! thanks!

13. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    also looks like the buttons on the sides of the front bumpers/fenders are ultrasonic sensors. lane-change sensors? parking aids? very interesting. any on the back bumper? and are those FINALLY turn signal blinkers on the flanks just in front of the front doors??? FINALLY?!

ref: YouTube - Prius LED Side-Marker Lights - 2 and My Prius' Saga ..... :)

14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i like the new headlights
    only hoping for more horizontal headlight to give it a more agressive look
    like the new insight

15. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it's the Toyota Link or G-Book Alpha system? BMWs also have an SOS button (BMW Assist).

I don't like the headlights of G3P at all -- the Nike-like swish along the top does nothing for me except induce nausea. Is a picture of the uncovered rear posted anywhere? I hope they didn't screw that up as well (a la Acura TL).

16. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

+1,

So much for a mail car.:(

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The rectangular grille and lower side lights remind me of the Nissan 350Z. You'd think that would be favourable comparison, but I didn't like those changes either - the 300 was quite attractive. Here's a before and after shot.

Attached Files:

18. mike_m

mike_m New Member

I sold my Prius a while back for a CTS. (As John McCain said on Letterman..."I screwed up"). I've been patiently waiting for this new model, and am not impressed, if this is really it. IMHO, the new Honda Insight looks incredible! I hope when it is officially unveiled, changes are made. If not I will go for the Insight. I think the current Gen II looks beter.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm guessing photoshop/mirror image reversed of original japanese right hand drive with english overwrites.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the new one looks 'sportier', which could bring some of the fence-sitters on board.

I sure hope they retain the greatest charm of this car - that a newbie hybrid driver like myself can get 55 MPG average.