1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BREAKING NEWS: President Bush to announce resignation

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, Apr 1, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 05:29 AM) [snapback]416953[/snapback]</div>
    The whole foundation of a republic is that the majority is not allowed to deprive the minority of their basic human rights.

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 3 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]417027[/snapback]</div>
    ?

what is your definiation of basic human rights?

could you perhaps be referring to a free press? or, a blind justice system? or, freedom of religion? perhaps you were referring to Iraq under Saddam :p

he sees evil but calls it good
    he sees good and calls it evil

he cannot identify evil, much less do anything about it.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 09:57 AM) [snapback]417038[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, that's rich, coming from someone who claims to be a profession he's not while stealing someone else's good name.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]417038[/snapback]</div>
    I love it... daniel posts specifically supporting human rights, and you twist that into your standard good and evil rant.

If we're all so backwards here, and can't see good from evil, why do you stick around? Do you just enjoy talking with the devil? :ph34r:

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 3 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]417052[/snapback]</div>
    If he supports human rights - i guess that only stands true for those that already have them :blink:

I dont enjoy this much - your thoughts and beliefs threaten my security and rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. you empower my enemies, you embolden them, they find security in your beliefs and behaviors.

6. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    how do you get around saying that my beliefs threaten your rights or security? Where did i post anything to that effect?

Just your standard tactic of drawing conclusions from thin air and accusing people of inane and stupid things. Good job.

Now, I have a few ideas that should help you feel "secure" at night. First, we throw out all foreigners. Send them all home. Next, we close all the international airports, and set up huge gun turrets every 50 yards around our border, giving them the order to shot down anything that flies (after all, we hate those migrating birds that invade our country every year too, right?). Next, we build a 10 story tall fence and a 50 foot wide moat between us and Mexico and Canada. Finally, we bring all our troops back home and cut of diplomatic relations with everyone. Hey your safe from the terrorists! everyone rejoice! And as an added benefit, we can do away with wiretaps and holding suspected terrorists indefinitely without trial, thus also returning human rights to everyone!

Seriously, grow up, Berman.

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]417058[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. That's a pretty bold and hateful thing to say. So, I'll just restate my earlier question as fact now that you've summed it up so well here: You do believe that minorities of any kind should have no basic rights, and deserve no respect, as long as their beliefs don't coincide with yours, and as long as you side with majority opinion.

8. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh wait, i forgot... a vast majority of the people living here (including you, Doctor) aren't native... I guess thats just, as the immigrants were really the first terrorists, weren't we? We came to a foreign country, slaughtered the people there with no regards to their human rights all because we had a belief system that supported that slaughter. Man, why isn't every immigrant since the Mayflower in jail?

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 1 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]416195[/snapback]</div>
    Good one Kow!! ;)

And yes the topic is an april fools joke...... I got it.. :p

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 3 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]417075[/snapback]</div>
    Dear Rodney,

Your schtick is getting old - read the US Constitution and grab some info for yourself. I will follow the laws of my country and their interpretations by the SCOTUS.

You cannot have it both ways though - the majority of the people do not want gay marriage - so you think the minority should over-rule the majority here? Perhaps you can explain to me why abortion is legal if the minority of Americans do not approve it? Perhaps you want minority "rights" when your positions are in the minority?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 3 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]417073[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously you are advising b. hussein obama.

11. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I hereby nominate Berman for an award titled "the best at sticking words in others mouths".

Seriously, where was gay marriage mentioned in this thread?

Seriously, how do you get from his saying "equal rights for the minorities" to "make laws that support minority positions"?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]417091[/snapback]</div>
    And just as obviously, you are Bush's primary military adviser :lol:

12. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 3 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]417095[/snapback]</div>
    Our favorite Dr.'s correspondence always furnishes textbook perfect specimens of the "Dopeler Effect" (#12 below the list of neogolisms). I'm not sure it's good for anything else, though.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 3 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]417095[/snapback]</div>
    I wish I were because I would have done it differently - even after the issue with Turkey arose.

I happen to be able to admit i do not know enough to judge the current plan and would offer them my support until it either works or does not work. i would not stop the funding at this point, or start drawing artificial lines in the sand about retreating from the battle.

14. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]417038[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if YOU were 6 feet under, could you do anything about it? :rolleyes:

15. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 3 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]417111[/snapback]</div>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the "new dictionary." I especially like #9 on the first set. :lol:

16. Tardis

Tardis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]417058[/snapback]</div>
    1) Regarding "your thoughts and beliefs threaten my security"

Thoughts and beliefs cannot be threatening until someone weaponizes them. For example, Hitler used his thoughts (horrible ideas about jews and the misguided idea that Germany should run the entire world) to fuel a large war. He didn't just sit and think them until it happened, he was active about it. He launched a massive propaganda campaign to "prove" his points. Jews were the enemy, Germany needed breathing space, and the "superior race" had the right to spread its wings. Ideas that homosexual people are subhuman are only dangerous when a couple young men decide to beat a local college student to death and leave him tied to a fence to die in Laramie, Wisconsin.

2) Regarding "you empower my enemies, you embolden them, they find security in your beliefs and behaviors."

I'm hoping, in light of your frequent mention of gay marriage, that you don't mean homosexuals are your enemies. They're no more dangerous to you than any other person walking this earth. I'm giving you the benefit of this doubt and addressing a group of people I'm guessing you do feel are your enemies. Radical groups of terrorists.

Let me assure you, radical terrorists don't like your "beliefs and behaviors" any more than they like mine. In the case of radical Muslims, if you let your women walk around out of doors with flesh showing, you're pure evil. That means you, buster. What's more, people like this will find any reason to attack the "infidels" of choice. We could ban gay marriage, shoot all homosexuals, insist on prayer in schools, and declare Christianity the national religion and we'd STILL be targeted by the same people who target us now.

If we do not fight for human rights against all enemies (foreign and domestic -- to borrow some phrasing), why bother? I think most of us can agree that we enjoy the many freedoms we are afforded in this country. I don't think any of us are willing to give up our basic human rights just so you can feel like the terrorists aren't mad at us anymore.

--D'lyse Eliot

17. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TARDIS @ Apr 3 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]417122[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you. If the good Doctor were over in Israel right now, he would be doing the spider dance. Look it up in AirportKid's new dictionary. See Airport Kid's previous post and link.

Seriously Doc, I understand how you feel. But if you were there as opposed to here, it would be a different story. Many of the Jewish people that my kids went to school with learned Hebrew so that they could go back and repopulate Israel. I am sorry that things are really crappy over there for everyone, especially the Jewish people. But I can only hope that you are doing something constructive about what is going on over there back here in the US of A. Do something about it, don't just talk about it.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TARDIS @ Apr 3 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]417122[/snapback]</div>
    one step ahead of albert but still false constructs. describe to me how chamberliens thoughts in 1937-38 did not endanger or where responsible for the deaths of millions of human beings? And then I am sure you want to remove any capacity at all for Iran to develop nuclear weapons?

terrorists like your ideas a lot more than mine since mine involve actively defending myself and my belief sets against them while yours removes that threat to them entirely - and again wanting to see your opinion about letting iran go nuclear here too.

funny thing is - our enemies represent the radical religious beliefs that so beguile you and drive your hatred of anything Christian in our society - would not that be funny if you were forced one day to bow 5 times a day towards mecca or die?

19. Tardis

Tardis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 3 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]417130[/snapback]</div>
    I was very clear. Thoughts, in and of themselves, do not endanger others. They're just thoughts. I did mention that they could be weaponized in my previous post, but the thoughts themselves are benign. I can sit and think all day about blowing people up, murdering, maiming, torturing... thinking about it doesn't make it happen. If I think about killing, say, my ex-boyfriend, that doesn't actually kill him. If I think about setting a fire, it doesn't actually burn anything down. The danger is in the doing not in the thinking.

When we're talking about terrorists, there isn't a better or worse. They might like your thoughts better than mine, but you're still an infidel which means that you must die. Period. There's no gray area, so let's not pretend that there is. Furthermore, should we really strive to change the ideals our nation was founded on because a group of violent radicals doesn't like it? That's not how we've run things in the past. Why start now? I'm sure we could make them like us if we all converted and followed their lifestyle, but is that really any different from just rolling over and dying? I don't think it is. I think it's cowardice.

I, for the record, am willing to acknowledge that religious beliefs differ from person to person and it is not (nor will it ever be) my place to make that decision for anyone else. I also don't believe it is your place. If I were to be forced to choose between practicing a religion I didn't believe and death, I'd say, "give me liberty or give me death." I'm willing to fight not only for my own beliefs, but for your right to believe what you want to believe. Think what you want. Believe what you want. Just don't use your beliefs to deprive others of their rights. Practice whatever religion you choose. Just don't bomb abortion clinics. Don't beat gay people to death. Don't pass racist, sexist legislation that restricts the rights of others.

I am not your problem. You are.

--D'lyse

P. S. For the record, I have studied the US constitution. It was required for my teacher certification.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TARDIS @ Apr 3 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]417146[/snapback]</div>
    you are not a step ahead of Albert anymore. just answer some of my questions instead of obfuscating and pretending. If you choose just one to answer please make it if you would allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons.

and you teach what age children what subject? and i am sure you do not introduce your own set of personal beliefs and judgements.

and for the record, i hold judgement until after you answer my question(s) as to whether or not you are my problem.