1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Breaking The Prius Towing Convention

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PriusTech, Jan 26, 2014.

1. PriusTech

PriusTech Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last year I needed to haul a Datsun 280Z. It was about 100 miles away and I didn't have any other vehicle besides my Prius. I tried to borrow a truck with no success so decided to chance using my 2nd gen Prius. I thought it would be very difficult, maybe taking the back roads due to not being able to cruise freeway speeds, and probably having trouble with hills. The Z was somewhat stripped in that it had no engine or trans so it was less than it's normal weight of about 2600 lbs, probably about 2200 lbs.

I had already installed a tow hitch for a bike rack. Also I've had the trans apart so know that there aren't really any components that "slip" so there's nothing that can really burn up. The problem would just be a lack of sufficient power, say for climbing the numerous hills in the area.

After purchasing the Z I hooked it up to the Prius with a tow-bar. Then I took a short test drive in the area just to see if this was going to be possible. What a surprise, apparently the Prius is very high torque, there was no problem accelerating and cruising. Still with some apprehension I took off southbound on the I-5 freeway. No problem, hills at 60 mph, passing cars cruising up to 70 mph. Getting a few surprised looks along the way also.

Since then I've hauled three more Z cars including a 280ZX which weighs about 2800 lbs. The ZX was hauled on state highways about 150 miles with several long hills. In addition I have a 600 lbs utility trailer that I've hauled building materials including a 2600 lbs load of gravel, so with the trailer that's a 3200 lbs load. This was a short haul but there were some steep hills up to approx 7 % grade.

There is some limits to the Prius in that you can't have that much tongue weight. When tow-bar hauling a car there is no tongue weight. But one of the building material hauls I put some concrete blocks in the back of the car and it was close to bottoming out with not all that much weight. The trailer I have is custom built and more balanced than most with the axle near the centerline. Most trailers that you buy have the axle further back so more potential for tongue weight. Bottoming could probably be helped with a set of stiffer springs and/or adjustable coilovers.

Your results may vary. Be advised tow-bar hauling can be tricky. And trailering heavier loads without trailer brakes can also be problematic. I've been hauling trailers for years so have some experience. Don't assume that this is easy. This info is provided without any guarantee and you assume all responsibility should you try anything suggested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]