1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Breast Cancer: Why's it still secret?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bredekamp, Aug 14, 2010.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On 31 May this year my mom went to the doctor to have a lump next to her left breast looked at. She fell on that side of her body a while back and she just thought it was a dislocated bone or protrusion of some sort. Anyhow, the doctor gave her the bad news that it might be a tumour. A week and some tests later it was confirmed, my mom had breast cancer. I was in shock. It was very scary, for everybody involved. My mom got very depressed initially but I said to her that the only way out is through. I believe our bodies reflect our state of mind and I told her that to heal she must stay positive. If she believes she'll beat this, then she will. Cancer is VERY scary.

Anyhow, since then things have developed further. Tests showed that the cancer did not spread and was still localised. She's had three chemo sessions so far and her oncologist is amazed at how quickly the tumour is shrinking. Her prognosis is good.

Her neighbour and best friend for a couple of years then came out with the revelation that she too had, and beat, breast cancer. She didn't tell my mom till just then. It meant a lot to my mom as she had someone close who's been there. It's also interesting that a middle-aged lady at the pharmacy that I asked about supplements for my mom also had breast cancer and the woman that cuts my hair! It would seem many woman has had their lives touched by breast cancer and beat it.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My mom had breast cancer when she was about 63 years old. She had surgery and chemo and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamoxifen"]Tamoxifen [/ame](she was part of a study on breast cancer treatment). She survived without recurrance of cancer until she died of a heart attack when she was 79 years old.

My older sister was just diagnosed with breast cancer. She has already had surgery, and will now undergo chemo.

Good luck to your mother.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wish your mother well and will pray for her.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is enough research indicating that vitamin D is critical in preventing and treating cancer.

A five minute introduction to the data is at the University of California San Diego website Vitamin D and Cancer Reduction - UCSD-TV - University of California Television

Additional videos and information is indexed at GrassrootsHealth | Vitamin D Action - GrassrootsHealth | Vitamin D Action and at Vitamin D Deficiency - Treatment and Diagnosis - UCSD-TV - University of California Television - San Diego

The take-home message is that the best way to determine your status is a blood test. While 30 ng/ml is generally accepted by the medical community as sufficient, the newest data indicates 40 to 60 ng/ml as more protective. If you haven't had the blood test, the politic answer is that you should supplement with 2000 IU per day. Their data shows that most people require 5000 to 10000 IU per day to achieve the optimum level.

To convert the ng/ml blood levels generally used in the US, multiply by 2.5 to get the nmole/L value.

My bottom line? Take vitamin D3 at 5,000 IU per day or 50,000 IU every 2 weeks. If/when you can get the blood test, adjust your intake to achieve a 60 ng/ml blood level.