1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bricked? U0164

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Catie, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Catie

Catie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    [​IMG]

So I jump started a 2016 Prius with a 2010 Prius and shorted the 2010 battery when disconnecting. The 2010 turned off and when I tried to turn it back on the message "Check Hybrid System" was on the display. With a BT ODB2 adapter & Dr. Prius I pulled the code U0164 but I'm not sure what to do now. I cleared the code but it came back after I power cycled the car; disconnected the battery for 5 minutes. The "Check Hybrid System" message is gone but when I put the car in Ready the engine fan blows full speed.

Is there anything I can do?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Somehow you should be getting p codes p something PO420 whatever these you codes I have to go and look up somewhere but with the battery fan running full-time there's something wrong back there with the hybrid battery whether you've blown a fuse you know there is a big fuse in the orange plug on the back of the battery facing the trunk I think in the Gen 3 and there are way more fuses sounds like maybe you blew something when you short it out the battery there may be a fuse on the battery block to a 5 amp 7 amp not sure I have to go out and look at my Gen 3 I know my Gen 2 a little better.

3. Catie

Catie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I've checked the 140a fuse at the 12v battery, most of the fuses under the hood, and the fuses under the dash. I can't see the 125a fuse under the fuse box but if it were blown I expect nothing would work, right? There are some other types of fuses there that I can't see through the top of clearly. Actually lost one trying to get it out. It was one of those 3-in-1 fuse blocks.

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    must've reversed polarity

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if no fuses are blown, you might need an inverter. cheap enough salvage

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That code is for the left front wheel sensor shorted I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the car starting or any of that so maybe take a look at that and see what's up can you clear that code and does it come right back I'm not sure what you're using to view and clear codes with but that would be cool if you could I guess I don't know if the shorting out that you did made everything go wonky and throw this code because it just did or whether he really have a shorted out wheel sensor on the left front you might could look see if the wires broken or something.

7. tak1313

tak1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    U0164 means there is no communication between the Power Management ECU and the HVAC Control Module. The fact that you are seeing the check hybrid battery system along with that code SEEMS to indicate the Power Management ECU is the actual problem area. It could be that the whole module got borked, wiring got fried, or the fuse got blown.

A used PM ECU can be had for pretty cheap if that's the problem. The service manual has the diagnostic procedure to narrow,down the problem.