1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Tire Question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Laurel007, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Laurel007

Laurel007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put the Ecopia 422 tires on my 2010 Prius two weeks ago, and they seem very noisy at 50 mph and above. I am returning to the store where I purchased them tomorrow (TiresPlus) to see if the noise is caused by the tires or something else. Has anyone else experienced excessive road noise with the Ecopia 422 tires?
    Follow up: The mechanic said that the Ecopia 422 tires will not provide as soft a ride as the OEM Yokohama Avid S33D(?) tires they replaced. And that the tire noise should improve after about the first 1,000 miles. Should I see if the noise dissipates or should I replace these tires with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires? Comfort, low noise, LRR, and high MPG are priority considerations. Will the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires be similar to the Ecopias? I understand that they are a softer tire than the Ecopias. Thanks for any advice /sharing your experience with one or both tires.
    CLARIFICATION: I am happy with the MPG and ride comfort - but can't stand the NOISE these tires make above 50 mph. So, no one else has experienced this issue?

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely not the experience with my 05. The Ecopias are much quieter than the Goodyear Comfortreads that were on it before. After 20K miles, they are still quiet.

3. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i have ecopia 20 on my 2013(OEM) and they seem fairly quiet.

4. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My new Ecopias are quiet.

5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So OP, did you exchange the Ecopias for another brand? You must be one of the few with noisy ones.

6. Laurel007

Laurel007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't decided if I am going to exchange the Ecopias for the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. The Ecopias weren't noisy when they were installed, but became noisy after a couple of weeks. The mechanic who checked the tires this weekend said that he could find nothing physically wrong with the tires, but agreed that they are noisy. I'll make a decision about whether to exchange them in a couple of weeks.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would get the michelin's, best all around tyre.

Laurel007 and sdtundra like this.
  8. Laurel007

Laurel007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update on my earlier post: I am going to trade the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires for the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. The Ecopias are way too noisy, even after 1,000 miles of driving on them. I'm also considering the Michelin Defender and Yokohama Avid Ascend tires. I'll decide in the next day or two. Like other Prius owners I've read posts from on this forum...I would appreciate hearing others' impressions of the Yokohama Avid Ascend and Michelin Defender tires. I would give up a few MPG to have a quieter, comfortable ride. But MPG is extremely important, too, since I drive about 50 miles round trip each day. Thanks!