1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 or EP422 plus for 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wliangy, Jul 25, 2017.

1. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Awesome documentation toyolover!

Here's my opinion on the EP422 Plus. Most reputable manufactures don't downgrade a new tire, especially when it's a premium product like the Ecopia. While I don't know the exact details, I will put another call in to tech support and see if there is any other info I can get. I would think it's a safe bet that it's an improvement, even if it's slight.

That being said, I NEVER get the mileage that they guarantee. I rotate every oil change and keep the alignment in check. They are never worn irregularly. One word in their defense, I replace early. I know that tires get more efficient as they wear, but I can't run tires down to the end. I'm just way more confident driving on good tires. I drive to far and to much on the interstate to risk anything else.

2. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi harrysprius, May I ask how often do you oil change/tire rotate? And alignment check? I remember for synthetic oil it can last up to 10k, but I hear different opinions from people including Toyota dealers. Thanks.

3. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wliangy,
    I've always done every 5k with full synthetic oil, and I rotate the tires at the same time. I always do it myself, so I watch the tires for wear and if I see any I go and have the alignment done. You can get the lifetime done at most places, and I get it done where I buy my tires. I also try and cross rotate instead of just going front to back. I think changing the rotational direction helps to keep irregular wear from starting, and once wear is there you can't get rid of it.

4. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips!

5. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've adopted to 7.5K rule - change oil + rotate tires.

6. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input Marine Ray; nice to have more data.

7. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been thinking about that as well. If new regular oil is good for 7500, I have been toying with 7500-10000. I'm going to watch the oil and see how "dark" it gets.

8. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK wliangy, I called the technical support line yesterday. The official response is that the EP422 Plus is a new compound that extends tread wear while maintaining approximately the same LRR. I pressed and was told about 5k longer life, and could get no exact response on the LRR part, just "about the same".

9. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot harrysprius for finding out more of the facts. Seems to me EP422 Plus is an improvement and most updated model of Ecopia.
    I appreciate everybody's input and assistance.

10. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Let us know what you put on how the results are, OK?

11. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will do. I've ordered EP422 Plus, they are on the way. Thanks!

12. High Mileage

High Mileage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wliangy, I purchased my prius with 60K miles and it had newer Goodyear Assurance tires on it. They were a good tire for me and lasted until 114K miles. At that point I purchased some takeoff tires and rims with the Ecopia 422 tires. Those also wore well and I replaced them at 176K miles at Costco with the Ep422 Plus. They are doing well, I am at 215K now. I usually rotate them somewhere between 10-15K miles. I have the Goodyear defender tires on my wife's Honda Accord, I have not been impressed with them. They seem loud and the first set did not last 90K miles as promised. Costco was great and pro-rated them for me. I think you will be happy with the Ecopia's.

13. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for the report. Impressive mileage you have on your Prius; I hope it's a norm for all Gen III. Just had mine (~41k miles now) replaced with four Ecopia 422 Plus, and had wheel alignment on the same day. Will remember to rotate tires using your reference, hopefully this time the tires will last longer.

14. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same here. I don't know if we just have rougher roads up here or what but I never see close to the "expected" miles. I rotate regularly, never have uneven wear, but once those grooves start getting low, I play it safe and get new ones.

It's one reason I'm going back to more value-priced (though not bargain basement) tires next time after going $$$ Michelins this round. I still only get 3 "years" out of them. (I run dedicated snow tires Halloween-Easter).

Things I value most in my non-winter Prius tire are quietness, and hyrdroplane resistance... thoughts?

15. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Then don't go back to "value" tires, watch the sales and get a good tire when it's on sale. I watch the local Firestone Complete Auto Care. They seem to rotate each month to a different tire being buy three get the forth one free. I watch and buy when the ones I want are on that sale. Then they almost always have another incentive if you use your in house card. Last time in was $100 visa gift card if you used it to buy a set of tires. That buys a lot of gas or grocery. It does take a bit more planning to look ahead and watch the sales, but it saves you money. Put 4 tires on my daughters car last month. Firestone champion fuel fighters for around $250 and got $100 visa gift card as well. I don't remember the size offhand, but they were 16's. The fuel fighter is new firestone fuel efficient tire.

Sporin likes this.
  16. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just checked...the Ecopia 422 plus tires are on sale with the $100 off of four if you use your Firestone card. $70 off with out...

17. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a new set of Ecopia 422 Plus from Costco Christmas of 2016. They are very quiet and gives very good MPG after 15,000 miles of mostly highway driving, however, I do take turns faster than most people would in the city though. I have a dB meter app on my phone and it usual reads 64dB at 60MPH on asphalt roads. 70dB at 70 on asphalt and 74dB on concrete roads.

Costco is running $70 off of four tires and 4 cents to install so a total of close to $130 off. Not a bad deal at all.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The installers work cheap, lol.

harrysprius and WolfpackBill like this.
  19. wliangy

wliangy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very impressed with you guys; wish I knew of Firestorm deal earlier. Thanks.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Trump getting to you? ;)