1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bridgestone Ecopia is loud. I want quieter tires. Fuel economy be damned.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Eug, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Low rolling resistance tires are typically loud although there always exceptions. On my previous Prius switching tires made an enormous difference in road noise. It was night vs day. Sure the Prius could be insulated better but that's a different argument.

However, the last time I bought tires to reduce noise was a long time ago. I'm not looking for advice on if tires will reduce noise because I already know that some tires are louder than others. The question I am asking is which ones to buy, and I don't care if I lose 1-2 mpg or whatever.

2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would buy Michelin Defenders.

3. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Frequent rotation, wheel balance, alignment, and maintaining tire pressure have a huge influence on tire noise. Once a tire wears funny, it gets noisy.

Okinawa likes this.
  4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    The 2004 Prius tires were loud as soon as I drove the Prius off the lot. I can't remember for sure because it was such a long time ago, but I believe the tires were Goodyear Integrity. I hated those tires. Loud, and crappy in the rain.

5. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We kept our last vehicle for 16 years and drove many of the same road surfaces during those years, including I-10, I-35 and I-40 all the way to Florida, Georgia and Wisconsin several times. During that time we used General, BF Goodrich, Michelin and Pirelli tires. The Michelins were by far the quietest and longest lasting. They did seem a bit "soft" in the ride department, but I never had any problems with control, etc. They were no longer available when I got the Pirellis, but I probably should have opted for the latest Michelin even though the Discount Tire salesman thought the Pirellis were more comparable to the previous Michelins. They were a fine tire, but there was a noticeable increase in noise, not offensive, but still more than the Michelins. Unfortunately, given the huge difference between the van and the Prius, I don't know what tire I'll opt for when the time comes. We've got 17k on the OE Goodyear tires now and will hit 30k before the end of August. I don't know how many miles they will last, but I'm hoping whatever tire I buy, they will be quieter than the Goodyear tires. I thought the Prius was louder than my brother's Sonata Blue, but then my SIL said she thought the Prius was quieter when she sat in the rear seat of both. She also said the A/C worked better even though the Sonata has rear vents. She really liked our Prius over their Sonata.

6. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Yokohama Avid S33D were the OEM tires on my 2012 Prius, which I replaced with the Bridgestone Ecopia EP20. The noise and ride were clearly worse with the EP20.

7. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I agree with what was said about not to expect very much tire noise change with new tires. I bought new 17 inch Primere A/S tires for better wet and winter handling and trying to quiet the cabin down. Here is my post with my early analysis; Michelin Premier Tires | PriusChat

I have a Prius v (Wagon) but the analysis should still carry over to the hatchback.
    Now three tanks of gas on the new tires and with more PSI (38F/36R) I feel that the tires provide significant better traction in challenging conditions, moderate improvement in handling and smooth driving over bumps and potholes, and small improvement in tire/cabin noise. Also, maybe %5 - %10 lower MPGs with the new tires. Hard to tell as I am still driving a lot in sub zero winter weather. I want to see the full year MPG stats on the new tires so I can get a better idea of the mileage sacrifice on these tires.

enjoy.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That may be a factor in the tire noise too.
    Running elevated pressures might also.

9. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tire noise was compared within 1 or 2 days with similar above zero weather on the same trips/roads/speeds/doorjam recommended PSI. I was surprised how little difference the android app decibel readings were. Also I was surprised how high decibel readings were when other cars passed. I Just had to accept that my prius v (wagon) lets in a lot of road noise. Made me think about lining the car with dynamat sound absorbing material again (too much work and weight).

10. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We put Defenders on my wife's Rav4 2013 and they are a great tire, very happy. There will be a set of Defenders on my Prius soon. My OEMs are down to 5/32" and the roads around here eat tires quick.

Okinawa likes this.