1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bridgestone Ecopias are tram lining

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ernie1, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My new Ecopias that now have 1,000 miles on them are great riding tires but tram line enough to be an annoyance. As soon as I had them installed I noticed the tires were very sensitive to road imperfections and the grooving in the asphalt. I figured that they were new tires and will break in but haven't noticed any improvement in the 1k miles allowed for break in. As I understand it, things will get worse as the tires wear more and the tram lining will be more pronounced. I have 35 psi in the fronts and 33 psi in the rears and am considering lowering the inflation a little more to attenuate the tendency of the tires to "wag the tail of the dog". If I could do it over again, I'd stick with the Michelins for my 2008 Prius Touring. Strange, I only see glowing reviews of the Ecopias from Prius owners. Is it because I have the Touring model

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never heard of tram lining before but the tendency of the Gen II is to track every little groove in the road. Really no matter what tire is on it. Very annoying to me. This is accentuated by running lower psi like you although you are running the door placard correct level the car will have very annoying steering. Steering requires constant attention to road and zero deadband feel.

It helps a little to raise the inflation to 44 front and 42 rear but you then quickly find out how poor the suspension is in dampening even small potholes. So...tradeoff. But at 44/42 you will also get good mileage.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    EP100 or EP422?

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably the Ecopia EP422, since the EP100 is getting discontinued.

Try 40psi/38psi. It may sound weird but I have found that higher pressures stiffen the sidewall and reduce the tramlining.

5. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes they're the EP422s. I thought increasing the tire pressures makes the tram lining worse. In any case, I'll bump up the pressures and see what happens. If it gets worse, I'm ready to lower it below the Toyota recommended 35/33 psi.

6. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you sure the alignment is correct?

If so, then your next step is to call Bridgestone and see if they can work with you to exchange for a different model.

DO NOT lower the tire pressure below 35/33. You will not have adequate pressure to support the load of the vehicle while still maintaining an adequate safety margin.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It's not uncommon to get a wheel alignment done when fitting new tires, and changes to the toe-in can greatly effect the cars tracking properties.

8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will also add that sometimes it takes 1-2k for the tires to wear into position (with the alignment settings) before traction is optimized. This is part of the reason why BMW does not recommend tire rotations at all.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    especially with the wet week we are about to have!

10. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay guys, thanks for all your good info. I bumped up the tires to 40/38 psi and we'll see tomorrow how it goes. I thought about alignment but I didn't have any problems going from the original Bridgestone Turanzas to the Michelin Energy Savers but as soon as the Ecopias were on it was a whole different story. I believe that an alignment will take care of the problem but I resent having to "make the car work with the tires". Sorta the "tail wagging the dog" sorta thing.