1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brief rattle/knock at cold start

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Teewin, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I don't think it should be this prevalent if this is what it is, but I would get that sound on other vehicles when using faulty, or cheap, oil filters. It would be the rubber valve that prevents the filter from emptying out on shut-down on those.

I think it prudent to check that your oil filter is actually getting changed each time at the dealership (like you would expect them to do), and that you are using at least a Toyota filter made for the model. Stay away from the junk filters, of course. ("Fram? No, ma'am!").

Off the top of my head, this would be one of the avenues I would be looking at.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  2. RidiculousMPG

RidiculousMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thats true alan. Just worried me a little bit as this is my first Prius and I’m still getting accustomed to all the new sounds. But i do like the 61mpg I’ve been averaging since purchase!!! All in all an amazingly efficient vehicle, and in xle trim very comfortable and pleasant to drive. Well done Toyota

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots of noises to ponder - from walking up to it, getting in, and PWRing up - it sounds like a flying saucer with barely noticeable sounds.

4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Older thread I know, but my 2015 Gen3 makes the SAME noise at cold startup posted in the youtube video by someone here in this thread. Since Gen4 & Gen3 share the same engine, I figured I would add my experience too. I have owned 3 Gen 3's and this is the first one to make any noise at cold start, however, And its only for a very split second. Sounds like valve clatter from oil not reaching yet.

It has received oil change exclusively from the Toyota Dealer every 5k miles, so as an experiment, I am going to change the oil myself this week with Mobil 1 0w20 & a Toyota OEM oil filter and see if that quiets it down.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on it?

6. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    My experience with my other 50-some cars and trucks I've had: Sometimes this is merely an oil filter backflow prevention valve that was manufactured or installed incorrectly. Sometimes it's a cheap oil filter that didn't have a valve to begin with.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    83k with a clean EGR track and IM. I checked that first lol

Khezekiah and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. southsidedakota

southsidedakota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my 2013 sounds like that video, just a slight rattle on cold start. Anything I should be worried about or it's common?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    how many miles?

every cleaned the EGR?