1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brighter LED's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jbdan, Feb 9, 2008.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Pingu,

I made a video just for you. With respect to the OP, I posted it in my old thread.

2. tony g

tony g AffordableComputerGeek.co m

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents on superbrights led's that I just recently purchased.

For the front dome/map lights I got T10-PCB-Wxx White LED Lamp.
    The maps are 24 light, brighter than the incandescent, and a nice "white" light. For the center dome I got the 36 light. VERY bright. Very happy overall with these lights. I used a modified version of jbdan's nylon wire tie method to hold them in place. I just used one tie for all three, if it doesn't rattle I keep it that way. If they do, I will used jbdan's method that he displays in his great pics!:)

I also got the High Power 2 LED Festoon bulb Warm White 3022-WWHP2.Good thing it was only $6.95 because it is very disappointing. For one thing, it doesn't quite fit. It is ever so slightly longer than the original bulb, I jammed it in there but I am not sure it will stay. And I swear it provides less light than the incadescent. Only slightly more "white" but very dim. High Power? I don't think so.:(

I will say that superbrightleds.com is very quick on delivery after you place an order, very impressive. :cheer2:
    I would be interested in hearing details from anyone that has replaced the puddle lights and the cargo light. I took both of those apart and it looks like it would require some modification. Doesn't look like you can just plug in the new bulb. So if you have changed those out please post about it or pm me. Thanks!

Tony

3. Pri(ap)us

Pri(ap)us Junior Member

Any idea why your pics are '403 Forbidden' jb?
    Pri(ap)us

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks for pointing me to DealExtreme and also thanks for the nice videos:

I installed this (1)
    DealExtreme: $7.07 1.8W White 12-LED 72000mcd Cabin/Dome/Door/Glove Box Light (12V DC)
    [​IMG]
    for the front dome, these (2)
    DealExtreme: $7.25 T10 1.5W 75-Lumen White LED Light Bulb for Vehicles - Aluminum Shell (DC 12V) 2-Pack
    [​IMG]
    for the front reading, and this (3)
    DealExtreme: $9.60 #31 1.5W T10 Car Festoon 75-Lumen White LED - Aluminum Shell (DC 12V) 2-Pack
    [​IMG]
    for the rear dome.

I measured the current draws of the LEDs and sure enough they are much lower than the factory bulbs. As far as I remember the currents were about (1) 80~90 mA (2) 50 mA (3) 60 mA. Voltage applied was about 12.6 V. The factory 5W and 8W bulbs drew 300 and 600 some odd mAs I think.

More data of current draw for (1):
    11.22V 32.0mA
    11.50V 46.6mA
    11.73V 60.9mA
    12.16V 92.6mA
    12.48V 123mA
    12.96V 163mA
    13.22V 184mA

The brightness of the LEDs (2) & (3) as installed looks similar to the factory bulbs except the front dome (1) which is now much brighter. If max brightness is desired I would use (1) exclusively.

For (1) there was also an rectangular one but someone posted safety warnings so I ended up with the round one, which turns out fits nicely in the housing.

The fittings (electrical connections) of the LEDs were not very nice. I had to force a little bit to put them in.

A nice feature is that DealExtreme automatically added Registered Air Mail for just one cent ($0.01 USD) after the order exceeds certain amount.

It does take a while for the shipping but I think it is worth the wait for such low prices. :)

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great to hear they work out for you.

I used 36 LED patch (rectangle) for my rear dome light. They are very bright but the quality isn't that great. 3 of them are dead but the rest are still making it brighter than the OEM.

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Continue adding LEDs. Just installed this for the front door courtesy light. They are brighter than the OEM bulbs and draw between 70 and 80 mA at 12.3V.

DealExtreme: $5.19 T10/BA9S/Festoon 0.72W 12V 12-LED Car Ceiling Dome Light Bulb - White

[​IMG]

The installation is easy to figure out but here is a nice set of pictures by Hobbit for those who need them:

Prius door lights

Again the fitting of the plug and socket is not ideal, may need a bit bending of the leads to get a good fit, but it works well enough.

7. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Re: Brighter LED's w/ pics

I just bought LEDs off eBay to retrofit all the lights on my 2006 Prius. They look like a quality product and are cheap. I will update everyone once I get and install them. A link to the eBay seller is below:

eBay Seller: lexenauto: Prius, Parts Accessories items on eBay Motors

Mylar

8. el diablo

el diablo Team "ME"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do these ebay leds cause our vehicle to throw codes? I know some of the mercedes guys needed the one with resistors built in to limit the voltage or else they just burn out.

9. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I hope not or I just wasted $48. I should have the LEDs in a few days. Does anyone else have experience installing these LEDs?

10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  11. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I received and installed my LEDs I bought off eBay today, please refer to older posts for seller information. I'm very statisfied with these LEDs. The only issue I had was that the provided spring loaded adapters for the 168 type light seemed to be too big. I was able to make them work, but feel a smaller adapter needs to be developed in order to make install faster.

Mylar