1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bring on the suggestions and complaints about the site

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, things I already know about:

• Here's what I can do so far:

• Please let me know what other gripes/complaints/suggestions you have. And also let me know what you like about the new site! :mrgreen:

2. paulisme

paulisme New Member

I hit a page today that gave me a pretty nasty SQL error which showed table names, column names, etc. This gives hackers enough information to do a SQL injection through the query string. I'm not sure if PHPBB has a built-in safeguard against this, but if you can you may want to redirect to a friendly error message page that doesn't show the database info.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe page layout is fixed but surely you can shrink the middle pane? It's silly that the thing doesn't resize itself to fit the available browser window.

4. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Danny
    I bet you're kinda busy these days! Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of going to the Forum link after viewing posts and then back to View posts since last visit. Now I've got a clean slate. Much easier to manage.

When I go to Album, this is what I get:

Could not get last pic information

DEBUG MODE

Deleted SQL info by Danny

Thanks again for all the work to make a good site even better

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Paul -

Is the Album error the SQL error you were talking about?

6. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

Lookin' pretty snazy so far. Ihaven't had any problems with any part of the site yet. I'm a little worried that the message I've posted the most on is the one tracking aaron's Red 9. I need some serious help :crazyeyes:

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's so we can track your addiction, Manny :lol:

Is anyone else not receiving an email when they get a new Private Message?

I'm worried that my email address still isn't working correctly, or worse, the system isn't sending out the PM emails.

8. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny
    I sent an e-mail to you yesterday, and didn't get a response, so maybe you didn't get it. Sent at 12:49 pm pacific daylight time.

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually did receive that email - it was placed in my "To answer as soon as I get a free moment" box :)

It looks like I answered your question about the View Posts Since Last Visit issue already, right?

10. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    On the topic of "posts since last visit", I could have sworn that, sometime over the weekend, I saw a link to click to mark all posts seen. But now I can't find that. Is that feature still there?

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Re: Big ol' cumalative laundry list

OK, after using the new PriusChat interface for a day, I'll try and get this in one place.
    Definitely! Let's start with the good stuff:
    • the new Posting box. Everything from the ability to apply styles, size and colors to the selected text, down to the improved documentation for how styles work (i.e., lists) is dramatically improved. A treat!
    • I like the new format. It's not revolutionary, but it's a nice, smooth improvement. I think some of the things you're discussing below would alleviate the "busy" feel others have mentioned.
    • Statistics page is a great deal of fun.

• I suspect a lot of the advantages will be things you're now able to do with board that you couldn't before. However, gotta get the plumbing tested and working before you can install the hot tub.

And here's my list of items (take all with big grain of salt):
        Really agree with this one -- it is tough to pick those hyperlinks out.
        I think doing that -- allowing the left menubar to be customizable -- would be enough (if it's possible). Beyond that, page complexity is just going to be a matter of personal taste. (Like most things in life.)
        I'd leave the left menubar being "On" as the default -- people can switch it off as they want.
        Agreed -- very low priority.

The other stuff I've encountered (pretty minor, actually) are:
        • Is there a way to mark "All articles read" from the "View Posts from last Visit" option? This tends to be how I read PriusChat. The articles I'm not interested in reading (and didn't read) from several days ago are still shown at the end.
          If there's a way to read new postings differently that allows me to do that, I'd be happy to switch to that.
        • In the Reply to Post window, selecting text and clicking on the "Insert Gradient Color" button brings up a dialog that is showing some weird text in the title bar, and also appears to be missing documenation on how it works. Figured it out via trial and error, though.
        • Default for quote would be "expanded" (my vote, anyway)
        • What happens when we change the "Subject" text in the Reply to Post window? Oh, well, I'll try it now and find out....
        • Really Minor: If there was a way to allow us (via our profile) to change the text above our Avatar and beneath our name and any Sponser info, that would be great. However, that's way down on the list.

• [hr:02f82703b9]
            Thank You Danny

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Spellcheck thnx

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Sorry I missed it in the first post Ignore
    stupid old eyes
    stupid old brain
    stupid old me.

14. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny,

What are you using to create the site? Does it allow you not to define the size of the page. I know in Dreamweaver, you can define the size of the page or not, it is up to you. I choose not to define the size of my page so it will be full-screen on most resolutions. The only problem with this is that it does change the look of the site depending on how the individual user has the resolution and screen size set.

Thanks for all your work.

Jeff

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Album should now be functional - those of you viewing at 800x600, please take a look at it and see if it's still too large for your screen.

16. paulisme

paulisme New Member

I'm not sure what page it was, but that was the error. By the way, you may want to delete the above post with the SQL error message in it. Someone can do some serious damage with that information.

17. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Danny, you did answer my question.
    thank you

18. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    "View posts since last visit" is even more broken

The "view posts since last visit" feature is even more broken now.

Right now, for example, in the left-side navigation, it shows 0 in parentheses as the number of new posts - which makes sense, since I just logged out a minute ago and then immediately logged back in. But if I click on the link, then the search results page shows a couple of dozen topics.

This feature was working pretty well before the recent site-ruining redesign. It's almost at the point now where it's too much trouble to use the site.

19. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lew
    Go to the top left of the page and click on the Forum button. When you open that page, go to the top right, and click on the "Mark all forums read" button. Its bold. That will do it.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think what some folks would like on the site is a button that, if they click on it, their Prius arrives. I'm not sure if you can implement that with Dreamweaver, or even assembly language, or if you have to do it directly in binary machine code.