1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bring on the suggestions and complaints about the site

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: "View posts since last visit" is even more bro

I don't think it's broken so much as it just works differently than it used to.

The old site worked off of cookies for the View Posts Since Last Visit function, the new site does not. Everything runs off of the database now. The # you see on the left is the actual # of posts since the last time you closed out your PC window and came back onto the site. When you click that link it will show you not only those 5 messages or whatever but also the other however many posts you haven't read. These are your "Unread Posts". They will remain unread until the Prius becomes the size of a Hummer unless you go to the index.php page and click "Mark All Forums Read".

Does that clear it up? This new system makes it easier to track the posts that you haven't read, especially if you check PC in the morning at home, then at work on a different computer, at home again at night. It used to be that if I logged in in the morning at home, then went to work but didn't finish reading all of the new posts, the new posts I didn't get a chance to read would be lost by the time I got to work.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to see the contents of the watched post in the email notification again. It seemed to disappear w/ the upgrade. Then again, since clicking on the single message doesn't reset the cookie for all of my other read posts, it's not so bad.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That'll go on the To Do list. Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.

4. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Good looking site.

Still don't understand why the little photo of my signature license plate shows up fine when I'm logged in but shows as a little red X when I'm not.

I was careful to meet your max 96 pixel criteria when I downloaded it. So what's the problem?

Again .. Good site! Keep up the good work.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Danny good work on the new look. place me in the column of wishing I could view the WHOLE screen with 800X600 monitor settings. I guess you are not as old or visually impared as some of us who prefet to use that setting. One way this could work would be to place the left margin stuff at the top of the screen and use the whole screen width for the posts. By setting my screen to 1024X768 I am able to view as I wish, but unfortunately that setting is for all my programs and my accounting software then displays in such small print I am going blind squinting. This message is in no way meant to detract from all your good work on this site, but PLEASE consider setting your own screen to 800X600 and working from there in the future. With respect for your doings...JY

6. jchu

jchu New Member

Danny,

For the Suggestion box.

On the page showing <posts since last visit> add a check off box between the Forum and Topic columns so that <marking all forums read> doesn't become an all or none proposition. This would allow for 'weeding' some of the clutter without losing everything. I tend to mentally rank order threads of interest to me: (a) Must read now (skim), (B) save for later (important to me), © Got a few minutes to spare (yeah, right), (d) Might be good for laughs, and

Just one person's opinion. Thanks for all the great improvements. Wonder where you find the time.

Jon

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ken - since the image is hosted in the Photo Album, visitors to the site can not view Personal Photo Galleries, so any photos from there show up as X's. If you would like to resize it to 100x150 max and upload it under your Profile I have turned back on the ability to upload your own avatars to the site.

8. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Okay Dan I tried that but the response was that the photo must be 6kb or less. 6kb just has to be a mistake. Reducing it to 6kb made it teeny and totally lacking in sufficient detail for recognition.

9. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Thanks Dan but I'm unable to squeeze down to below 20.8 kb (PriusChat now allows 15 kb). My Adobe Photoshop is starting to protest at all these changes.

By the way, what I had there before was 20.8 kb.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ken,
    Send me your original image and I'll see if I can get it shrunk down for you...it should be doable but you may need to change the mode a bit.

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Agreed -- now that I know how to "clear all", so to speak, this is very nice. Thanks for clearing that up!

Too late -- take a look at the Aztec. :)

12. kenmac

kenmac New Member

Danny,
    The "Remember Me" box in the Login area doesn't appear to work for me.
    Actually, I don't think the "auto log-in" in the previous version worked either!?
    Does this box refer to the password or just the username?

Regards,
    kenmac

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It should store both your username & password. If you are using AOL, it probably won't work correctly. If not, try clearing your cookies (under IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Delete Cookies. Then come back to the site, log in, be sure to click the check box with "Remember Me" and then when you leave the site, don't click "Log Out" instead just close your browser window.

Let me know how that works.

14. kenmac

kenmac New Member

Danny,
    re the auto password again.
    I use XP and Avant browser.
    I tried using IE6 and clearing cookies and that appears to work and continues to when then using Avant.
    However, once I disconnect the Internet, there is no auto log-in when I reconnect via Avant and open Priuschat again.

Anyway, this is not a huge problem, I can log-in manually whenever I need to.
    It's just something I noticed.

kenmac

15. rydot

rydot New Member

Not sure if this is covered by "page layout sizes", but viewing the site in Safari on a Macintosh, the quote boxes don't seem to expand vertically to accommodate the entire quoted text (text gets cut off beyond three lines ...)

Then again, maybe this is a feature to prevent extensive quotes? ;)

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, it's a "feature" that will probably be turned off sometime soon. Click the "Expand" button to show the whole quote.

17. rydot

rydot New Member

*smacks self*

d'oh!

Now that I know it's there, I completely like it! :)

(I just didn't think to look for an "expand" button, I guess...)

18. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

maybe a list in the knowledge base about the site, like what points are and the RSS thing.

Love the new site!

19. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE

No offense, but how but calling it "View unread posts," then.

20. GT

GT New Member

Danny,

Can you add a "Mark all forums read" link to the top of the page that is delivered after "View posts since last visit " is clicked?

In other words, view the new posts, select some to read and then clear the rest from one page.

Gene