1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bringing up blind spot again

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Nantz, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Nantz

Nantz Prius v5 AT Purchased 11/1/11

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Anyone help with this?
    Husband almost bashed into another car yesterday. He turned around to look as I do. We've adjusted the mirror so that we are looking directly into the lane next to us, not with any portion of our car visible, and there is STILL that nasty area we can't see. On another thread I claimed I wasn't aware of it but after driving the V for a month it's bothersome. A convex mirror maybe? Any ideas? I see here most people do not notice it......

2. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't have the new model that you have, so can you be more specific as to the blind spot? People have posted about the "A" pillar, (windshield post) interfering with site lines, and I have experienced that. You have to move your head to look around that one, especially on slight curves with approaching traffic. Is the "B" pillar, (between the doors) blocking your view as you glance over your shoulder before making the lane change?
    With regard to a vehicle in the lane next to you, I believe you have the right idea. Set your side mirrors so that you have to lean way over to get even a glimpse of the side of your car in the inside edge of the mirror. Works on both left and right mirrors the same way. That way you should pick up the front of a car next to you in your peripheral (sp?) vision while the rear of that same car is still in your mirror. May not apply to a Smart Car or the new Fiat. ;)
    Of course, this doesn't protect against someone one lane further over moving in just as you start your lane change.

3. Nantz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's the far rear window...little v shaped window in rear. Area to the rear of that window. Seems like instead of triangle shaped, a rectangle shaped window would have eliminated my difficulty. Sorry to be so non-technical. It's the only way I can describe. When I look over my shoulder there is a huge area I can't see and can't visualize with the mirror. Thanks for responding.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I added small convex mirrors to my mirrors for this very reason. Even though I had adjusted my mirrors beyond the view of my car I still had issues with changing lanes and not seeing a car in a remaining blind spot. Since adding the convex mirrors I no longer have this problem. I bought the convex mirrors at Advance Auto for $2 each and they attach with adhesive backing. I have had these for over a year now and no issues.

5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, I understand the blind spot issue you are describing. Sounds like the convex mirror might help, although you already have that on the right side mirror.
    I know it doesn't help here, but as a chauffeur, I have driven clients' cars recently that have a lane-change-warning system. If you put on the turn indicator prior to making a lane change, and there is a car next to you, it sounds a loud beep. I tend to signal early, while waiting for that car to pass by, so the beep can get a little annoying. Too bad you have to pay the price for an S Class Benz to get a safety feature like that. I guess there are other makes with that option, but I don't think the Prius has it yet. The best advice I can offer is to drive defensively, as you are doing, and always take that extra few seconds for looking over your shoulder a couple of times. I see drivers who rely solely on mirrors and can't be bothered to turn their heads to look, especially when entering a freeway.
    Good luck to you.

6. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd suggest springing for an after-market rear view camera if it is a big problem. It will cost you a fair bit - I'd guess for something decent over $500 installed, but think of it this way - how much will it cost if you back into something?

7. Nantz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for all the answers. Appreciate your input.
    Steve, my V has a rear camera, and it's great as I have a tight 3 point turn kinda driveway. But it's the rear sideview that is the problem. Lane changes have to be oh so cautious.
    Will try everyone's suggestions. Kept telling husband about it (he's not into turning and looking back) and as I say, he almost clipped a vehicle while lane changing yesterday. Now he believes me.
    Had nightmares last night about the blind spot, lol! Was dreaming I had a robot drive the car for me, but the robot turned into a "Hal" like creature.
    Oh well, we'll deal with this.

8. BlizzardPearlV

BlizzardPearlV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    This was one of the first thing I noticed when test driving the v.

The only true solution is to do a very good shoulder check. Admitedly its not the most ideal situation. It honestly reminds me of driving an SUV that way.

9. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry - when I saw your post I just assumed (and you know what happens when you assume) you had one without the camera.

Wow - the viability out of my Gen 2 is pretty poor but especially with the camera livable - it is hard to believe that they could make a car with worse viability without actually trying to do so.

Best of luck.

10. Nantz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Lol Steve!
    We've owned Toyota trucks for 25 years now and all four have had a rattle (have never bought new) in the joints around the glove compartment. We were never able to remedy. It was just a fluke but I was sure that Toyota was out to get me ;)

11. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Search Ebay for "Broadway" mirrors that fit right over the standard rear view mirror that I have used on my last 5 cars. Convex image that creates a view thru all the back and side windows, allowing for "images are closer than they appear". Also, most auto parts stores are now selling these. I really like mine. One big drawback is when you have passengers, they are all looking right at you. I also, when not carrying passengers, flip down rear seats or take headrests off and lay back the front passenger seat to remove the view of its headrest.

12. mzarkos

mzarkos New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Just took delivery of my V Friday. I didn't notice the problem during the test drive, but I certainly do now. Got honked at once from a car that seemed to appear out of nowhere, even after doing the "over the shoulder" turn and checking mirrors. I will need to do something, but hate "junking up" the car with glue on mirrors. (OK, before anyone says it - yes, a glued on mirror is worth avoiding a crash.)

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with all the safety features of the car.

13. buckaroo

buckaroo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Has not been an issue with me as yet but I am thinking about removing the headrests in the back.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This comment speaks volumes. You need to turn and look in all cars; mirrors only tell part of the story. Unfortunately, turning one's head to look back often gets harder with age, so it's easy to give up on it. Fight that urge. If you can't turn your head, it's probably time to buy a car with a warning system.

Tom

15. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Side view cameras, in addition to mirrors, would be very helpful. Either that or a warning system as Tom suggested.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went by Advance Auto on Saturday to get wiper refills for my wife's car and noticed some adjustable convex mirrors. I have fixed convex mirrors now.

I bought a set of the 2" adjustable mirrors and replaced the fixed ones that I had. I used a razor blade scraper and the fixed mirrors came right off.

The adjustable ones work great and let me adjust the convex mirrors independently of the larger mirrors. I think I have all or most of my blind spots covered now.

17. NJM

NJM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Having ridden motorbikes for many years and driven mainly vans I find that checking over my shoulder before changing lanes is second nature, also I indicate first and continue to indicate until I have changed lanes, even if I believe I'm on an empty road.

18. mzarkos

mzarkos New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up removing the rear passenger side headrest. It made a world of difference. I went to Pep Boys looking some kind of small fresnel lens or convex mirror. Won't fit on the Prius, but there's a small convex mirror designed for the Escalade that goes on the plastic support of the outside mirrors. Looks nice and doesn't mess up the appearance of the mirrors.