1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken Antenna Base replacement Alternative

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exvtekman, Mar 31, 2012.

1. exvtekman

exvtekman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Guys

My wife broke the antenna base due to backing through a half closed garage door and I did not want to pay $250 or whatever for a new one from Toyota. I found this online and ordered it though somewhat skeptical.

ww.antennamastsrus.com/Toyota/Prius/Prius%202004-2009

I was assured that it has pre-amp like the OEM one. Though not OEM, what I got was very close to the oem one and sure enough, had the line for preamp as well. The replacement is relatively easy and so far, it works just fine. I have not seen it mentioned on this forum, so I figured I'd put it up FYI.

cheers.

2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here is the correct URL of the website you were talking about:
    Prius Antennas
    and here is the toyotapartszone list of gen II antenna parts:
    http://www.toyotapartszone.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=PRIUS&year=2005&catalogCode=222420&VAID=1880,1881,1882,1883&selectConditions=%287=USA%29&originCountry=%287=USA%29&goBack=false§ionID=4&isBigPicture=False&componentsID=86-04&componentsIndex=30
    i'm not sure which is the correct part but if it were me I would take this as a sign from the Gods to get a shark fin antenna.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent price for a new part.

A few months ago I had to replace the antenna base on my 2007 due to a similar mishap and bought a salvage part.

4. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Patrick,
    My nav constantly looses position and shows me in the wrong places. Then restores and works fine, then looses again. I think there is a problem with signal/connections to antenna or main GPS unit. Do I need to take the interior (ceiling) off to get to the antenna base ? Is it a straight piece of coaxial cable from antenna to receiver or is there any connectors ? Thought you might know as you replaced the base.

Thanks,
    - Alex

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Alex,

The nav satellite antenna is located under the instrument panel on the passenger side. You will need to remove the black plastic panel containing the passenger side airbag and then you will find the antenna mounted on the underside of that panel.

I suggest you download relevant repair manual pages from techinfo.toyota.com if you wish to find the antenna yourself, so that you become aware of the relevant safety precautions and the SRS does not blow up in your face.

6. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Patrick,

Wow, I thought the stick on the roof is a GPS satellite+radio...
    I will download the manual and will take the dash apart if navi problems continue. The radio works fine so I guess the roof antenna and contacts are ok.

Thanks,
    - Alex

7. bramblerose11

bramblerose11 Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I've been shopping around and did not want to pay several hundred for it at the Toyota dealer. Did not think I could get one for less than $100. :)