1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken bolt on battery cell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by danielac86, Oct 18, 2020.

1. danielac86

danielac86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So I've been replacing a cell on my hybrid battery and had a stubborn nut. Like an idiot, I over-torqued it and broke the bolt. My question is, anybody know a way to ensure a proper connection here without replacing the cell? If not, do you think with the surrounding nuts there's enough contact to trust this with one broken bolt? I appreciate any advice you've got.

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you will need to replace the broken module.

strawbrad and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This depends entirely on what you're actually talking about.

If you are talking about snapping off the threaded stud that fastens the busbar, then you need to replace the module.
    If you're talking about the mounting bolt that is under the module, fastening the module to the steel case, then no, it will have no effect on the integrity of the battery.

4. Albert Barbuto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A strong hybrid pack will deliver 150 amps during a full throttle acceleration, from a dead stop. All modules/connections MUST be able to support this. Your broken stud has rendered that module as "toasted".

PS: Purchase a proper torque wrench before working on your pack.

5. danielac86

danielac86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the tips. New modules are in the mail and I definitely learned a lesson here.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You also might want to completely clean or replace those bus bars. Any corrosion or high resistance will cause problems. Check the battery ecu connections for corrosion as well.
    If you are "just" replacing some modules (no charge/discharge cycling), then good luck.