1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken charger cable

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Malonista, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Malonista

Malonista New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello
    My 2012 plug-in Prius charger cable seems to have gone slightly bad from regular use. It is a first generation G9060-47190. The short cable with the wall plug has a bad connection to the charger, it connects when I apply pressure on the cable towards the transformer.

New chargers are really pricey about $600. And it seems like a simple thing to repair, just replace the cable with the plug.

However I cant crack the charger case open. There are screws on the bottom, they come out fine. But the cable socket has some kind of plastic rivet on it. See picture.
    Does anyone here know how to crack the charger open to replace the bad cable?

Sincerely

Attached Files:

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I checked my charger and must agree that it looks like a rivet, not an Allen screw, not a compression pin. For my money, I'd lightly drill the rivet until the raised rim is gone, then I would see if I could pry the plastic over the remaining stump. You can always just buy a compatible charger for about $150.

Malonista likes this.
  3. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello, if you need a charging cable, I have a spare cable from a Nissan Leaf. Works fine. PM me if interested.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's the quick and easy solution, @Malonista. (y)(y)

And if that doesn't work out for you for some reason, they are plentiful on Ebay.

Malonista likes this.
  5. Malonista

Malonista New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the Toyota workshop won't repair it then I will try to drill the rivet.

Pluggo likes this.
  6. EVDoctor4Earth

EVDoctor4Earth New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi - Yes the Prius Charger is tough to open, Drill out the rivet ~ 1/4" deep, Unscrew the clamp, Then there is a small clip holding the next clamp on, Pry out the clip with a sharp point awl and you find a small spring and 2nd clip, remove them and unscrew the 2nd clamp. CAUTION - Generally those cords go bad because the wall outlet is weak and this heats up the plug to the point of melting. Replace the outlet with a Commercial Grade outlet. You may be able to buy a used replacement AC power cord. Check our website EVDoctor4Earth for additional instructions.

vvillovv likes this.
  7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    IMHO; you should replace it with a "hospital grade" outlet and plug, they have a green dot on them. Hospital grade equipment has a minimum measurable standard they must follow 'NFPA-99 standard'. Any unscrupulous manufacturer or knock-off can label their products commercial grade.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully, it's already fixed

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime