1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken Fuel Door Spring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ToddDub, Jan 20, 2022.

1. ToddDub

ToddDub New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I searched but did not find this problem for the Gen II. The 'L' shaped spring that pops open the fuel door is broken on my car, just above the second hinge point. That flange is obviously a bit bent and probably what caused the spring to break, also it's a western coastal car. My guess is that the door got caught at some point and pushed too far forward.

On investigation, the fuel door appears to be riveted to the body as a complete assembly. I'm a bit reluctant to just drill out the rivets as it's right next to the fuel filler. Is the spring itself something that can be replaced? I don't see a way to do it, it actually looks like it's pressed between the door and the bracing for the door.

For now, I've got a piece of baling wire through the bottom hole in the door brace, and made a loop that sticks out from the lower side of the door. It's classy. The door release is working fine, but as others have stated, I still can't pull the release and open the door at the same time. A wad of shop towels under the lever is my current workaround.

Solutions?

SFO likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yep drill
    rivets. Then on the assy you could squeeze on aluminum keensert threaded . Then use lil bolts.. drill close to closed filler neck . Yep live it. Gas barely combusts with help these days.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's your spring, $5.69 list price.

I replaced it on my 2001 without any drilling or fussing around. Put the tools away. ;)

For what it's worth, on my 2001 the spring wasn't broken. I thought it was weak, because the door didn't pop open well, but it still didn't with the new spring. I sprayed some light lube (I've had this spray can of "tef-lube" for decades, don't even remember where I got it), and it popped right open after that.

My trick when it wasn't popping was to fish in my wallet for one of the plastic member-of-something-something cards that are in there. I would walk to the fuel door, bend the card and stick in in the gap, walk back to the driver's door, pull the handle, listen for the sproing-plop, then walk back and pick the card off the ground and put it back in my wallet and fill up the tank.

That was all back in the goodle days when gasoline was so much more combustible than it is now. (??? o_O :rolleyes:)

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thee good ole days.